Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 01:38 PM

439 posts, read 516,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
If it helps in your search at all, there are websites such as spotcrime.com where you can look up all police reports zeroed in on a particular street or area. You can't zone in on a particular residence address per se however, you can on an area or street. It will just block out the residence number. I get daily reports on this one and I request a 2 - 5 mile radius of my address. This way you will know if an area in general is bad or has had a lot of police reports. It will give you a general description of what the police call was for; assault, burglary, robbery, domestic disturbance, etc. You can use this site now for any areas that you are currently looking to rent in.

I don't belong to nextdoor.com but I have heard it is a good site once you are actually living in an area and have an established address. It is like a neighborhood watchdog program and you have to register with your actual address so this one will not work for you while you are looking however, it is a good site to use for an area you are living in.
Okay, going to the website *as we speak*
Thanks for the direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 01:44 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,764,744 times
I wouldn't, no. But I am older. For a young person, they might not feel as unsafe.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:55 PM

Default oh, yes...I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned B View Post
On a side note, I wouldn't necessarily say more roommates = safer. Certainly you may be less likely to be broken into because the apartment could be occupied more often, and more people may be more intimidating for a break in when the unit is occupied. However all of this only works when everyone is equally responsible....
Yes, I lived in a house, maybe 7 years ago...3 roommates (including myself) upstairs - and one person downstairs (owner, actually) Our unit was separate, but we could also go downstairs, to use the nicer kitchen.

One Friday night we were all gone, someone popped a screen downstairs and stole an expensive Mac desktop computer (which was in plain sight from the window) It was not the owner's but his ex-wife's computer, too. He was going through a divorce, too.

YES - you get careless living with *so many people* We always think someone's home, then leave windows open, back doors open, etc. so someone can just pop a screen, etc.

//subject change//

Old 04-04-2016, 01:57 PM

Default retirees are such great security

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
I wouldn't, no. But I am older. For a young person, they might not feel as unsafe.
retirees/older people are such great security for a neighborhood, btw.

Tend to be home more during the daytime, always watching the neighborhood....

If only there were some more senior citizens in the neighborhood..It's like having A.D.T.!

Old 04-04-2016, 08:12 PM

I broke down and told my mother the situation.

She texted back, "No not safe area"

so, that settles it...

Old 04-04-2016, 09:52 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburned_in_seattle View Post
retirees/older people are such great security for a neighborhood, btw.

Tend to be home more during the daytime, always watching the neighborhood....

If only there were some more senior citizens in the neighborhood..It's like having A.D.T.!
Very true... I guess I will be the kid for the rest of my life... I have neighbors 2 and almost 3 times as old as I am... they have lived in their homes going back to the 50's and 60's.

Nothing happens without someone taking a look out the window... sure gives me peace of mind.

Before I lived on a street where NO ONE was home during the workweek... my home and truck were broken into as well as several on the street.... NO ONE was home and the bad guys knew it.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:28 PM

It's too bad b/c it was a cute house. Nicely done inside. Good backyard! I imagine it was a nice neighborhood at one time.

But I just got the crimespot.com report this morning - NO WAY, JOSE!!

Old 04-05-2016, 02:48 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,702,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburned_in_seattle View Post
It's too bad b/c it was a cute house. Nicely done inside. Good backyard! I imagine it was a nice neighborhood at one time.

But I just got the crimespot.com report this morning - NO WAY, JOSE!!

Awww, that is too bad. Goes to show you can't judge the book by its cover, huh?

And it is spotcrime.com btw lol I just didn't want anyone else to wonder why they couldn't access crimespot.com if they tried.

Anyway, I know I have to be careful with spotcrime.com sometimes. I ask for 2 miles radius of my address and I can get a very long list sometimes but I make sure I look at what the police calls/reports were for before I panic too much. There are a lot of things police are called for that are false alarms or very minor things that you would not have to worry about. Sometimes if you click on the details of an instance you get a better description of what the call was for. I am more concerned about the ones that specifically say robbery, burglary, assaults, etc., and that weeds out quite a few of the others on the list.

You might want to try putting in your current address or other areas to see what comes up to get a better idea or comparison.

Good luck!

Old 04-05-2016, 05:26 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Most I know do check just like they do for sex offenders...

Old 04-05-2016, 08:09 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Some of the police departments now use crimereports.com. For instance, here's the link on the San Jose Police Department website.

CrimeReports Map

I'd hope that meant the data is good. Of course, you never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting