Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 04:50 PM

3 posts, read 3,219 times

Advertisements

I paid my rent ahead of time two months prior. I went to jail for 10days i come out next day my stuff is out on the curb in the rain. He says i abondent the apartment.how?i was in jail. My rent was paid two months ahead of time. I didnt get a notice on my door nothing. Called the police they gave me a police report i have all the pics of my stuff and the damages. Next day he puts up a sign saying i abondent the apartment it was a default. Im homeless now my child is too. I live in texas this isnt right.yhe police said it too but i have to take it too court do i get and attorney our take to small claim court?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 04:55 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,327,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momoliane View Post
I paid my rent ahead of time two months prior. I went to jail for 10days i come out next day my stuff is out on the curb in the rain. He says i abondent the apartment.how?i was in jail. My rent was paid two months ahead of time. I didnt get a notice on my door nothing. Called the police they gave me a police report i have all the pics of my stuff and the damages. Next day he puts up a sign saying i abondent the apartment it was a default. Im homeless now my child is too. I live in texas this isnt right.yhe police said it too but i have to take it too court do i get and attorney our take to small claim court?
Don't worry about legal recourse, your number 1 and really only priority is securing a place for your son and you to live.

Where was your son while you were in jail? Did you tell the landlord you were going to be gone?

Old 04-05-2016, 06:33 PM

13,916 posts, read 39,195,413 times
I take him to small claims for the Destruction of Property & Refund of the rent you paid ahead & deposit.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:54 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,679,907 times
If we are getting the whole full story then it appears to be an illegal eviction if you were not served any kind of papers or notices.

Here is what is suppose to happen for a legal eviction:
Texas Tenant Advisor

This may help on what to do:
Tenant Eviction: How to Fight an Eviction in Texas | Nolo.com

Old 04-05-2016, 07:40 PM

The full story is i was in jail for 10days my son was with my family. On the 30 i was released from jail. The 31st i come home and all of my property was in the rain. I called the police & they said they couldnt do that. Well the next day i assume he told the maintenance man too put it back in the house.it was back and put a letter on my door saying a defualt of contract. How i paid my rent btwo months ahead of time. He had not right to even enter my property.he didnt take me to court nothing. I dont want to live there anymore. I seen him a week prior going to jail. I get a check for going to school so they send it to him.he said because the property was damaged and i hadnt paid for the fixtures.ok thats y i have a depoist.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:51 PM

Well then the story did change. You are back in the apartment.

Default of Contract for damaging property, etc is a whole other issue and requires way too much detail for you to get into on a public forum.

I suggest you contact an attorney regarding all of your issues.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:55 PM

I am not allowed back in the place he asked me to come and get my stuff.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:40 PM

Contact an attorney then for illegal eviction as I stated in my original post.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:59 AM

13,916 posts, read 39,195,413 times
I wouldn't go thru Legal Eviction... It would just make it harder to get an apt in the Future or even now. Just get the stuff & take him to court as I said in the other post.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I wouldn't go thru Legal Eviction... It would just make it harder to get an apt in the Future or even now. Just get the stuff & take him to court as I said in the other post.

No one is going through any 'legal eviction' nor did they suggest it so I am not sure where you are getting that from(?)

I said to seek an attorney because the LL illegally evicted OP by self-eviction instead of going through the proper legal procedures plus putting his stuff at the curb, damage of property, locking him out of his apartment, keeping his rent and security deposit, etc. There are some pretty steep penalties for illegally evicting (or self-evicting) someone. And there is NO eviction that will go on the OP's record IF it was in fact an illegal eviction but only an attorney can advise OP whether it was or not by getting all of the details from OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting