Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2016, 08:53 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,234,397 times

Advertisements

Moving in with friends is not an option, but moving in with 2 male strangers is???

What could possibly go wrong??
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 11:35 AM

305 posts, read 569,045 times
I've had female roommates along with other guys before. No one ever treated them any different than any other roommate. I nor anyone else can really tell you how certain it is to be an issue. My guess is that there would be issues with some guys, but not most. It depends on whether you have met them, and are comfortable with the situation, and if you feel that you would be able to deal with a worst case problem if it came up.

Last edited by Ned B; 04-06-2016 at 11:58 AM..

Old 04-06-2016, 11:55 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
That's the most realistic worst-case scenario... Other than that, there's nothing wrong with it.
Yeah...maybe check out their criminal backgrounds but I think you're likely fine.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:34 PM

6 posts, read 6,259 times
Thank you all for taking the time to comment. The biggest pro of this place is the location, but it's definitely not my only option (I've swapped messages with two other prospects since I made my initial post). I DID meet the guys today and they seemed like decent, non-creepy human beings and we seem to have similar outlooks on how we want to run the household. I haven't made a decision yet, nor are they pushing me to. Yes, I'm a little (aka a lot) apprehensive about living with two men but I'd also be apprehensive about living with women, if only because this is my first time kinda on my own. I'd like to trust that these guys are going to respect my boundaries and not try to force me into things I'm unwilling to do, as opposed to judging them for being strangers with dangly bits. That being said, I've talked to them about having a short lease (3 months) just to see how we gel together before signing up for something more long-term and they were in accord. We'll see what happens. If nothing else, it will be quite the adventure and a swift trip outside of my comfort zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Are the two men gay? That would make a difference.

Why are you paying half the bills when there are three people living there?
I apologize for using incorrect words in my post. I won't be paying half the bills. Everything will be split three ways. They've even agreed to give me the master bedroom with the connected bath if I decide to move it. Oh and I don't know if they're gay. I didn't feel the need to ask them, nor did I feel the need to ask them what their ages/ethnicities were before moving in, since those things are irrelevant to me.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:52 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,908,228 times
Unless they are complete P I G S, I would prefer 2 male roommates over 2 other unknown women, any day. I know this is a slam against my own, but rarely do three women get along. And if it evolves into two against one, expect pure hell. Every roommate issue I've ever had, has been with a witch and booting one out required eviction notices and court action. I'm sure the issues go both ways, but that has not been my experience.

Biggest issues: smoking, drugs, pets, loud overnight company, and no one using headphones....and I guess bandwidth hogs are the modern day issue. Minor stuff like leaving clothes in the dryer or finishing the last of __________ in the fridge are minor complaints. Messing with your sleep, pets out of control, or breathing in secondhand smoke or worrying about drug busts are deal killers.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:21 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,946,114 times
OMG! What 23 years old girl would even consider such a STUPID thing. Two STRANGERS of whom you know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Where's your parents honey? Have your mom or dad run a full criminal and credit check on both.

I had male roommates a couple of times when I was younger. Two guys WERE in fact gay, LOL. The other two times were guys I'd gone to SCHOOL with and knew then and their families.

Big difference.

Please do let us know how this works out.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:06 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
OMG! What 23 years old girl would even consider such a STUPID thing. Two STRANGERS of whom you know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Where's your parents honey? Have your mom or dad run a full criminal and credit check on both.

I had male roommates a couple of times when I was younger. Two guys WERE in fact gay, LOL. The other two times were guys I'd gone to SCHOOL with and knew then and their families.

Big difference.

Please do let us know how this works out.
You are far more likely to be assaulted by someone you know than someone you don't.

Don't be hysterical. In the 21st century, men and women live together in cordial platonic cohabitation all the time.

You can just as easily live with a female who is a thief or a liar, or brings back unsavory men that steal, or is a slob, or is a party animal, as you can a male.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:23 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,782,074 times
Quote:
Unless they are complete P I G S, I would prefer 2 male roommates over 2 other unknown women, any day. I know this is a slam against my own, but rarely do three women get along. And if it evolves into two against one, expect pure hell. Every roommate issue I've ever had, has been with a witch and booting one out required eviction notices and court action. I'm sure the issues go both ways, but that has not been my experience.

Ain't that the truth.

OP - if they share your philosophy for running the house, that is the most important part. That's surprisingly hard to do even if you think you live the most normal lifestyle ever. Cleanliness, food, overnight guests, pets, and noise have been the biggest issues, so make sure you address those up front, and how they will be handled.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:57 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,384,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post

Biggest issues: smoking, drugs, pets, loud overnight company, and no one using headphones....and I guess bandwidth hogs are the modern day issue. Minor stuff like leaving clothes in the dryer or finishing the last of __________ in the fridge are minor complaints. Messing with your sleep, pets out of control, or breathing in secondhand smoke or worrying about drug busts are deal killers.
This.^^

My concerns would be:

1.) The roommate that smokes. Does he smoke inside the apartment? Does the apartment smell like cigarettes (it's possible even if he's smoking outside)?

2.) The roommate that works 3rd shift. What are the expectations for "quiet" hours while he's sleeping and while you're sleeping?

Old 04-07-2016, 10:13 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,402,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeiledChaos View Post
I guess my question is, does anyone think it's a good idea to move in with two male strangers?

I would never move in with another male I did not know and trust 100%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting