Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 10:05 PM

439 posts, read 513,586 times

Advertisements

IF they always cooked strong-smelling foods, I think it is more than just the kitchen area. Not to depress you, but I believe it is in the floors, the walls, everywhere. How many years did they live there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 05:30 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,564,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburned_in_seattle View Post
IF they always cooked strong-smelling foods, I think it is more than just the kitchen area. Not to depress you, but I believe it is in the floors, the walls, everywhere. How many years did they live there?

Yes, especially with some of the homes I have seen where the kitchen exhaust...well it goes into the house and is not really an exhaust. I could not have a house with not outside exhaust. We have had some that didn't have it when we bought but we could always put in an exhaust system through the cabinet over the oven. I never fail to be surprised by the many new homes built the last several years with no outside exhaust. And not even into an attic. Just whirling it around the house.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:21 AM

218 posts, read 772,874 times
Yes, I believe you are right - it's everywhere. I've repainted. Changing carpets. Changed vent and even bulbs above vents. Cleaned thoroughly all around. Left windows open for the last week... I think it's getting better or maybe I'm just used to it now. They lived there 3 years. I've also got odor things and vinegar.

The neighbors (common wall) are also Indian so it could be coming from them too. I'm actually going to be living there for the next year and I think I'm going to fill the place with rosemary! Going to see how much to rent out ozone filter thing.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:45 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,382,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairMindedLL View Post
I would recommend it too, but a thorough duct cleaning around here costs $250. That plus the damage to the floors adds up. If duct cleaning is required specifically to rid the place of odors, then wouldn't that fall under extraordinary wear and tear, and render the deposit subject to deduction for those expenses?
I would definitely charge the tenant for having the duct work cleaned if it was necessary to de-odor the place, and have done so on a couple of occasions in the past. But that may or may not be legal in all states, so I can't say whether the OP would be allowed to or not.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:16 PM

218 posts, read 772,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I would definitely charge the tenant for having the duct work cleaned if it was necessary to de-odor the place, and have done so on a couple of occasions in the past. But that may or may not be legal in all states, so I can't say whether the OP would be allowed to or not.
Well I'm in CA - I don't think I can charge for odor of cooking. I think that may be a touchy subject. Cuz if I could, I would. But this could get messy.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:09 PM

439 posts, read 513,586 times
I lived in a unit once that was quite smelly - actually the former tenant was a smoker. They repainted, recarpeted, everything..but still, smelly!

So, I basically did everything I could...left out containers of vinegar & water, left out containers of coffee beans (supposed to absorb odors, plus I like the smell of coffee), bought some charcoal to absorb smell (I bought it from PetCo., it's used in fish tanks. but I believe you can also get it at a drug store - but it's more expensive there for basically the same thing, I believe).

If you can leave the the windows open on a cool, windy day, it's the best to really push the odor out! & refresh, IMO.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:51 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,663,936 times
A good ozone machine does work well. Years ago (too many to count) I was an office manager at a fire and restoration company and they used the ozone machines religiously in fire damaged buildings and it was amazing how it got the smoke smell out. They would bring all salvageable contents of the home in to our office building and had rooms where they cleaned and ozoned the items. It also worked well for flood damaged buildings. The ozone machines were run along with the high-powered fans to prevent or get rid of any possible mildew smells.

They work great if you get a good machine or 2. You just don't want to spend much time in a building or room while it is being ozoned. I personally had a terrible time with any exposure to ozone machines but I am sensitive/allergic to a lot of different types of odors and chemicals.

You can google a fire and restoration company in your area and they may give you some advice on things you can do or even possibly rent you an ozone machine or 2.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:31 AM

8,654 posts, read 22,816,050 times
Cleaning ductwork is routine maintenance - you can't charge for that.

You could always move a cat into the home (j/k)

Old 04-15-2016, 10:09 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,709,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toopie28 View Post
Question for LL.

Our tenants moved out and there are a couple of questions that I have.

What's considered normal wear and tear for a hardwood floor?

There are several relevant scratches that were not there several years ago. However I understand that you cannot charge to have the whole floor refinished but just a portion, correct?

Also, any idea how to get rid of the smell? They cooked spicy foods so that's the smell. Tried vinegar, changing filter and also painting...still there...
Sometimes the smell will get into the closets and cabinets and you have to clean those areas.

This is especially true if smokers were there previously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting