Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 06:43 PM

5 posts, read 3,891 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I need some help or advice. I already wrote 30 days notice on April 1st that I will be moving out on May 1st. After I applied one of apartment in Riverside. I was told that I was approved to move on 6th, So I paid my deposit on April 29th and they told me that my apartment got delayed until May 6th because they need time to painting and cleaning and people still living there. So, I show up on May 2nd to pay my rent because I was assume that I will move in on May 6th when I get there they told me that my unit won't be ready until 13th. I asked them what happen to 6th? They said people haven't move out yet and they will do that on Wednesday. (May 4th) I was disappointed so I asked for money refund for rent part. So I checked with them again on that day on 4th and they said People haven't move out yet. I had to explain to my current apartment about it and my current apartment wasn't happy about it and seems wants me to get out on 13th because of delaying after 30 days notice. So, what can I do about it? Should I continue stay in my current place until my new apartment gets ready? or Get out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 01:29 AM

285 posts, read 377,401 times
Very sorry to hear of this. Which property management companies own the apartments? I'm familiar with their rules to some extent.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:53 PM

I prefer not mention name of complex on here if you wants to know please send me private message Thank you!

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 05-09-2016 at 02:04 PM..

Old 05-09-2016, 02:13 AM

285 posts, read 377,401 times
I don't know of that company....

Old 05-09-2016, 07:17 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,226 times
You are posting in the incorrect forum - questions such as this should really be directed to the "general moving issues" board.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:25 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,233,336 times
Do you have a lease at the new place yet? If you don't you are SOL.

If you do then they are in breach of contract and can be sued for damages. The damages to you are the storage cost for your stuff, the hotel cost for each day they delay from the date on the lease, and meals because you don't have a kitchen. The hotel needs to be of same quality, don't go to the most expensive place and expect them to pay it. Threaten them with all that, even without a lease, and see what they do. They may have a smaller or larger unit they can put you in for a few days.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:02 PM

No, I am not signing lease of this new place yet. I only paid deposit and I took back my rent money from them.

Hmm, Do you have information about that in law of California? I want to know if I can scare them with lawsuit probably they would give me unit after lawsuit scare.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:43 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartSimpsx24x View Post
No, I am not signing lease of this new place yet. I only paid deposit and I took back my rent money from them. .........
You haven't signed a lease and you took the rent money back. In my opinion, you have cancelled the agreement and won't be getting that apartment.

Old 05-10-2016, 04:21 PM

No, I already paid holding fee to that apartment they cannot cancel application because I paid holding fee.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:08 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartSimpsx24x View Post
Hello,

I need some help or advice. I already wrote 30 days notice on April 1st that I will be moving out on May 1st. After I applied one of apartment in Riverside. I was told that I was approved to move on 6th, So I paid my deposit on April 29th and they told me that my apartment got delayed until May 6th because they need time to painting and cleaning and people still living there. So, I show up on May 2nd to pay my rent because I was assume that I will move in on May 6th when I get there they told me that my unit won't be ready until 13th. I asked them what happen to 6th? They said people haven't move out yet and they will do that on Wednesday. (May 4th) I was disappointed so I asked for money refund for rent part. So I checked with them again on that day on 4th and they said People haven't move out yet. I had to explain to my current apartment about it and my current apartment wasn't happy about it and seems wants me to get out on 13th because of delaying after 30 days notice. So, what can I do about it? Should I continue stay in my current place until my new apartment gets ready? or Get out?
If you have a signed lease and your move in date was may X and the place is not ready they are in breach of contract. That said the most you will get is all of your security deposit refunded. It's really up to you if you want to wait until it's ready or get your money back and go elsewhere. We don't usually make a place available until it's completely vacated and all repairs are completed. What you see is what you get its move in ready. It takes me about 4 days to rent any property and that's because I'm doing checks or waiting for responses from the references/employers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
View detailed profiles of: