Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 09:40 AM

14,472 posts, read 12,101,318 times

Advertisements

If what you want is money, it's a civil matter. The cops won't get you money for your bike. Making it a criminal matter won't replace the bike. Civil court will.

I would sue them in small claims, and prepare to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 04:50 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,961,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Next bike park in inside.
My bike was inside, on my porch! It was there for years no issues. I couldn't put it actually in my house as I have a small child and pets. My daughter would probably climb it and honestly i just didn't have the room

Old 05-12-2016, 05:42 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
Stolen property is a civil matter? You need to call the cops again and demand they get someone to file a police report for your stolen bike. They stole it and threw it out.

They need to file a police report so you can call your renters insurance and file a claim, if you don't have renters insurance... Why?

I don't currently carry it because I got an insane $36/mo quote because I have no credit score, and the most expensive thing I have at home is my $50 laptop.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:05 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
You make room just like people like me make room for Mobility Scooters & Power Chairs.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I don't currently carry it because I got an insane $36/mo quote because I have no credit score, and the most expensive thing I have at home is my $50 laptop.
You need to shop around. ZERO Credit my Renters Ins is $18 per month. & it covers More than just your belongings. Covers medical bills IF you or your Guests slips & Falls. Place Floods Burns down or in any way becomes uninhabitable covers Hotel/Motel bills.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:16 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
[quote=IC_deLight;44032310]Yes they did steal it. It does not matter what they ultimately did with the bike. They deprived you of possession. The act was intentional. You also have civil claims for conversion and/or trespass to personal property. I wouldn't hesitate to file a civil suit against the condo corporation for conversion or trespass to personal property. Keep in mind this is a CONDO and not an HOA. The differences are significant in most states so don't call it an HOA if it's a condo.[/quote]
\

Here in Florida communities like the OPs have both a board (made up of owners) and an offsite HOA that maintains property, conducts all background/credit checks, must approve all applicants/leases, and they are the ones that enforce the by laws. It's the HOA that issues the citations....not the condo board.

we had a neighbor who had a guest that didn't have a parking pass; the car was towed. The guest tried to claim it was stolen...it was rather comical to see them pitching a fit in the parking lot when they realized their car was 'gone'. The police showed up but once they found out what happened, they left and told them to deal with the HOA. The same thing is going to happen if she tried to claim her bike was stolen...the police won't do anything....her landlord needs to deal with the HOA.

Side note....the guest knew they were illegally parked and yet continued to do so..the owner also knew they were illegally parked and let them continue to do so. The result? One got to pay a towing company and the other paid the HOA fine.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:55 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I rent from a private land lord (family friend) within an HOA community. About 3 or 4 weeks ago my landlords received a letter from the HOA telling them I need to move my bike to the rack outside and off my porch. My bike has been sitting on the porch for over a year no problem but whatever. Our condo president lives directly across from me and decided to go around one day with a clip board looking on porches for violators. I actually did not know this was a violation because I don't have a copy of the HOA rules.

I complied with the notice and put my bike (reluctantly) out on the designated rack. The rack was full with bikes (we have a lot of people who ride because jobs are close to my condo). I could not find a slot to put it in and lock it so i parked it up against the rack with about 8 other bikes and intended to go out that day and get a lock and at least lock the tires until a spot opened. I come back from errands and all the bikes are gone, thrown out because they were "assumed abandoned". I've called the condo association themselves and emailed them. The only answer I got was " we'll take it up with the board so it doesn't happen again". I'm IRATE! I purposely didn't put my bike out there for reasons such as this and I almost feel like I was duped into doing it when they had intentions of throwing out the bikes. I live in Florida. I can't file a police report because its a civil matter. Are there ANY options out there for me in these types of situations? They get away with murder in these places with an HOA
You need to get a hold of the regulations. Who moves somewhere when they're not clear on the rules?

It's quite possible you will see the definition of "abandoned" that might be: unlocked, not in the rack.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:24 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,408,574 times
Question yeah, so...

HOA did not remove your bike...maintenance dept did. Have you spoken to them to see what they did with all the bikes they removed and ask who authorized the theft? I would have, immediately. They probably could have told you where it was that same day.
Koale

Old 05-13-2016, 10:21 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,619,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
HOA did not remove your bike...maintenance dept did. Have you spoken to them to see what they did with all the bikes they removed and ask who authorized the theft? I would have, immediately. They probably could have told you where it was that same day.
Koale
That would be good info. Even now if they have not already been told to be quiet by the people who employ maintenance who are therefore the people who ordered the bikes taken with no notice. But good idea to scare them a little and they may tell all.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:22 AM

This whole thing is going to hard to Prove. She took the bike to the Rack which was Full & Left it & Didn't bother to buy the Lock for it till after the fact. Anyone could have taken the bike.

From the OP 1st Post: I could not find a slot to put it in and lock it so i parked it up against the rack with about 8 other bikes and intended to go out that day and get a lock and at least lock the tires until a spot opened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting