Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 06:31 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,647,427 times

Advertisements

It seems as if deposit amount is a very regional thing.

When I lived in NC, your deposit was based on your credit. Most of my deposits were around $50. I always wondered why even bother taking $50?

When I moved out to MO, I was expected to pay a deposit the same amount as the monthly rent.

I moved to TX recently and only had to pay $50 in a corporate apartment complex.

Any insight on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 07:22 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,658,189 times
Average collected across the board for security deposit is one month's rent but it does vary state to state and LL/PM to LL/PM, etc. There are also different types of deposits above the security deposit that some LLs/PMs can charge (pet dep, cleaning dep, etc-state specific). As long as they follow their state's security deposit laws first and foremost that is the key factor. Some states have an equal to one month limit, some have equal to 2 month limit, etc.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:31 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,485,637 times
I've always had to pay a month's rent or $1000. Those seem standard for the various states in which I've rented (all in the West). I'd LOVE to pay only $50!

Old 05-18-2016, 09:57 AM

32,502 posts, read 47,489,547 times
It's up to the landlord how he wants to do it.

I used to charge one month's rent, plus a $300 pet deposit for tenants with pets. Now with every tenant claiming that their pet is a service animal, I simply charge every tenant the amount of the rent plus $300 for one deposit. Then the "service animals" don't get in for free and the tenants with pets are thrilled that there is no pet deposit.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:11 AM

238 posts, read 314,434 times
One month's rent is usually the norm out here in California. Some complexes will offer reduced rates based on credit. And I've seen the greedy types that charge first and last month's rent AND a deposit!

Old 05-18-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It's up to the landlord how he wants to do it.

I used to charge one month's rent, plus a $300 pet deposit for tenants with pets. Now with every tenant claiming that their pet is a service animal, I simply charge every tenant the amount of the rent plus $300 for one deposit. Then the "service animals" don't get in for free and the tenants with pets are thrilled that there is no pet deposit.
Are you allowed to ask for any service animal documentation?

Old 05-18-2016, 12:42 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,604,735 times
I've rented houses and apartments in AZ, NC and FL. I don't believe I've ever had a place charge more or less than one month's rent in deposits.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Are you allowed to ask for any service animal documentation?
There is no documentation for service animals. The tenant's word is it. They call it a service animal and the dog must be accepted, and no pet deposit allowed.

There is a doctor's letter for emotional support animals and the landlord can ask to see that, but not for a service animal.

I allow pets, anyway, so it is less of an issue for me, except that every tenant with a pet pit bull claims it is a service animal.

I do have an application for reasonable accommodation of a service animal. It contains the questions that I am allowed to ask and states that I will assist the DA in prosecuting anyone who falsely represents a pet to be a service animal.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:26 PM

Actually, not even a doctor's note on the emotional support animal. Any medical professional can write one, so your herbalist can write one for you.

Old 12-05-2016, 01:27 PM

Any guesses as to why my current apartment complex would only charge a $50 deposit? Seems very unusual to charge such a low amount.

My only guess is that the $50 is supposed to cover the last month of water. This is because we are billed for water by the landlord a month after the fact. When you pay rent on March 1 for the entire month of March, you are paying for water from mid-Jan to mid Feb. So if you move out at the end of June, you'll still be responsible for water up until you moved out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting