Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 11:49 AM

41 posts, read 46,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
To be clear, you aren't even sure yet if it did violate the lease. Have you read your lease lately? All that matters is what YOUR lease says, since they are all different. Coming here to ask doesn't clarify anything.

You should have a copy of your lease. Read it and see what it says.

It stings when you get a letter like that. Take what you can from it and move on.
See my reply to Kim above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 12:29 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soso694 View Post
Okay. It's been done (though reminding me of a full trash bin off of one visit is overkill to me.)
My clothes are going to be like that through the middle of June before I travel though, so I hope I still don't get any emails over that.
15 DAY + Really You better hope they don't pull a Fire Safety Insp. Here its done by the Fire Marshal.

Old 05-28-2016, 05:29 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Kim you are taking out your trash. You are putting it outside your apt where they told you to. My bosses apt when she lived down town the trash went in a bin in the hall. On Trash day the maintenance man clean out the bins & put the trash on the street.

It's a bin that is literally at your front door...you open your door and put the bag in...no stepping past the threshold.

I personally take my trash to the compactor. We do not have trash valet here and I never said we did and we don't live in an apt.

Old 05-28-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
I just told you it didn't violate the lease, so yes. I read it. I'm only going to do what the lease and building code requires of me. My piles of clothes were on the floor for a reason.
If my place attracts vermin as they say, they need to be more specific, otherwise it's not a legal notice, but an email from someone ticked off about showing my unorganized apartment. I asked nicely for specificity and didn't get a reply back.

What I meant by legal notice was that you KNEW they were coming (they gave you legal notice to enter) and you chose to leave your unit in less than 'showing ready'.

You read the email, how much more specific do they need to be? They called you out and you're mad...we get that...so clean get ready for your visit next week.

It's a holiday weekend...you really expect them to reply to your non emergency email???

Old 05-29-2016, 02:18 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
It's a bin that is literally at your front door...you open your door and put the bag in...no stepping past the threshold.

I personally take my trash to the compactor. We do not have trash valet here and I never said we did and we don't live in an apt.
Yes it was right outside the doors.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:08 AM

525 posts, read 660,541 times
I still don't feel that a tenant is required to have their apartment "show ready" even WITH notice, and again, unless she is greatly downplaying the mess, it's not a big deal. When I was packing up my last place, my landlord called and wanted to do a showing. I told her I was 1/2 way packed, boxes open and stuff being sorted, and they can show it like that if they wanted, but it sure wasn't going to get done before they arrived. Clothes in a pile is not how many people choose to "get organized" but unless they are filthy, they are hardly going to attract "vermin". And a trash can has trash in it, shocking. I think the person who sent the email stepped over bounds. She's not selling her house, she is leasing an apartment and her lease is coming to an end.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:34 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,758,112 times
I agree. My landlord at our last house tried to show the day (or two days, i forget) before we moved. I told her there were quite literally boxes everywhere and stuff everywhere in the process of being packed, but they still showed it.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:35 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
There is a big difference between packing for moving and a messy apartment.
Never ceases to amaze me how good people can be slobs.

Old 05-30-2016, 05:54 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
I just told you it didn't violate the lease, so yes. I read it. I'm only going to do what the lease and building code requires of me. My piles of clothes were on the floor for a reason.
If my place attracts vermin as they say, they need to be more specific, otherwise it's not a legal notice, but an email from someone ticked off about showing my unorganized apartment. I asked nicely for specificity and didn't get a reply back.
They likely took pics. Sounds like you were warned. Comply or face consequences.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
They likely took pics. Sounds like you were warned. Comply or face consequences.

This is the point the OP seems to be missing. While showing the unit they found it to be in a condition they didn't agree with ( yes, they can tell you how clean you have to be) and gave the OP fair warning to clean it up. If it was just about one pile of clothes and one bag of trash, I'd say maybe they were over the top, but they were showing the unit and I bet they looked at every inch of that unit. I know when I'm looking at a place I look at it from top to bottom and open every door, closet and cupboard.

I don't doubt they took pictures. The OP needs to get cleaning, they're coming out tomorrow.

I wonder if they will update after the inspection?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting