Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 04:50 PM

25 posts, read 19,863 times

Advertisements

Hello

I loved for 2 and a half months in a house in temecula, I broke the lease and waited until the pm will find new tenants. 2 weeks before I moved out I notice that the grass is getting dry as the it stopped raining, I email the property manager and reported that I don't think their Gardner turn on the sprinkler as the grass getting dry, they didn't take care of it and other request I had about the fridge ( ice machine broke and they haven't fix it).
I tried to figure out how to turn on the sprinkler and was able to do so only in the front yard for five minutes.

A week after I moved I contact the pm requesting my deposit, she said the did is dead and it will cost 2,000 to replace it !!!they also charge me 400 for carpet cleaning when I only lived there for 2.5 months!!

The lease says that tenant is reponsinle to water landscape and landlord responsible to maintain it ( hence Gardner)
The landlord or the pm are not signed on the lease...

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 08:14 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,236,885 times
Fight that to the bitter end, sounds fishy as hell to me.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:16 PM

Default What steps you advise me to take? Can they charge me on carpet cleaning?

Can you advise me what should I do
Is it legal?

Old 05-29-2016, 09:35 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,702,236 times
There is no quick fix or easy way to fight it but I would suggest to first send a demand letter asking for your full deposit back. Instructions are listed in the link below.

There are specific laws for landlords to abide by regarding the use of and the return of security deposits. Make sure to read everything in this link in its entirety and make sure to follow any/all of the steps involved.
California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs

No one here can provide any legal advice. If the above link does not answer your questions and you still need additional guidance you need to contact an attorney or use one of the suggested legal sources provided in the link above so they can get all of the details and review your lease, etc.

Last edited by Corn-fused; 05-29-2016 at 09:53 PM..

Old 05-29-2016, 09:43 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,112 times
You said you were responsible for watering landscaping, but you told the landlord that the grass was getting dry? Did you water? You said you were trying to figure out how to work out the sprinkler, but couldn't. Did you call to ask how to do it? It sounds like you are saying that keeping the landscaping hydrated was your responsibility, so it wasn't the gardner's job to water.

You have a lease that has no signature from the landlord? The charges seem pretty ridiculous. I would want more details. Do you have pictures of the property on move out?

Old 05-29-2016, 10:23 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Your lease says that you are responsible for watering the lawn. You didn't water and the lawn died. $2,000 to replace a lawn is about what it costs as long as the lawn is rather small.

As for carpet cleaning, how happy would you be to move into a house thar contained several month's worth of the previous tenant's dirt? Tenants expect to move in with clean carpet.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:28 PM

Default Thank you

The lease says tenant responsible for watering and landlord for maintenance, no one told me how to turn on the sprinklers or program it, the Gardner said he turn it in but didn't.
I reported this to pm and they didn't respond to this

Now she tells me that u should have bought a hose in Home Depot and water it myself

Old 05-29-2016, 10:32 PM

Default I responded in the thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
You said you were responsible for watering landscaping, but you told the landlord that the grass was getting dry? Did you water? You said you were trying to figure out how to work out the sprinkler, but couldn't. Did you call to ask how to do it? It sounds like you are saying that keeping the landscaping hydrated was your responsibility, so it wasn't the gardner's job to water.

You have a lease that has no signature from the landlord? The charges seem pretty ridiculous. I would want more details. Do you have pictures of the property on move out?

No signature from landlord or pm
I have pics of the grass

Old 05-30-2016, 04:42 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Is there a drought in your area? If yes, there might be water restrictions that restrict you from watering the lawn altogether or possibly on certain days. Check those laws now. google the town name and things like 'lawn water restriction'. Or your county name (often for unincorporated towns, the county rules apply).

If there are watering restrictions, you cannot be expected to break the law because you are supposed to follow the water restrictions.

Old 05-30-2016, 05:16 PM

Anyone else can please comment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting