Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 07:51 PM

4 posts, read 3,077 times

Advertisements

We live outside of Nashville, TN. Hubby and I are both retired. He has been in and out of the hospital 7 times this year, and it is just now June 1st. I have no idea what is going to happen, but I do know this: Insurance does not pay for everything, and at the rate we're going, it won't take very long before we eat up lots of our savings

I have been trying to take care of him at home, (when he is not in the hospital or physical therapy/rehab) but don't know how much longer that will be possible. Every time he comes back home, he is weaker and weaker and I am not getting any stronger either

So, depending on what happens, I am trying to decide if it would be better to try to go back to work, rent out some bedrooms in my home, or what. I stay so distracted with his health and
condition, I just cannot think clearly right now. And advice/ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 08:56 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
I am sorry that you are dealing with all of that.

The first thing I would do is check the local codes in your area and see if your city allows it.

I'm also not sure you should try taking on renters and becoming a landlord, given all that you are currently dealing with. Do you have a financial advisor who might be able to help you examine your situation and vet all options?

Old 06-01-2016, 09:04 PM

36 posts, read 84,772 times
How many bedrooms and bathrooms do you have in your house and how many are you willing to rent out? Think long and hard about how it will be to share parts of your living space with one or more strangers. Some people just don't feel secure or comfortable sharing their space with strangers.

That being said, I think this could be a great option for you to make some extra money to offset some of the costs you are incurring with your husband's care. But only if you are able to find a good tenant. It doesn't hurt to put up an advertisement to see who you get to apply for a room. Just be sure to thoroughly screen whoever you consider with a credit and background check. it doesn't hurt to keep your options open. And it sounds like if you can find the right person to rent from you, it will solve a lot of your problems. Good luck!

Old 06-01-2016, 10:05 PM

4 posts, read 3,077 times
Thank you for the comments to ponder. I have 2 extra bedrooms with a bath in between (not adjoining)...or I could make the Master Bdr/bath available. Awhile back I had wanted to have the single car garage turned into a nice Apt., but my husband wasn't crazy about the idea...(it is his motorcycle garage and houses all his tools and "stuff"). I don't guess he's been out there in 3 years...

Wonder how hard it would be to offer bed-and breakfast? Our place isn't fancy, by any means, but I believe it has certain amenities that might be appealing to some ppl.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:18 AM

7,034 posts, read 6,285,179 times
Are you anywhere near a University? If so you could get referrals from the school for students who are looking for rooms to rent. You have to be very careful & make sure whomever you invite into your home is safe for you.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:46 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,621,220 times
You think you have problems now? Renters bring problems, especially room renters. Don't be foolish. Get a job to temporarily pull you out of this hole.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:32 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,744,120 times
Sharing a home with strangers is tough. In many areas outside of big cities the going rate for a room is just $500 a month, you can easily make that in a part time job a few days a month. You don't want to end up renting to a crazy person or a deadbeat who will cost you more money to get rid of than you stand to earn, good luck.

You might look into letting an exchange student rent the room thru an agency if that's available in your area.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:32 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
You think you have problems now? Renters bring problems, especially room renters. Don't be foolish. Get a job to temporarily pull you out of this hole.
I agree completely.

OP, you have enough to worry about. No need to invite trouble into the next room. If you want a look at the potential problems, just read the Rental forum for a while.

I agree that a job could bring in extra $$ while also giving you something else to think about besides your husband's health problems.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:49 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,199,897 times
If you do decide to rent out rooms, do so by word of mouth...through friends or fellow church members and such. Takes some of the risk out, but not all.

Also, contact the social workers that do the discharge planning for your husband. There might be local help for your husbands care.

Personally, I think you getting some in home help would be a blessing. If you have a relative that needs housing and a job....or even yourself...check and see if your state has the option where you get paid for providing your husbands care. The social worker where your husband receives rehab should be able to help you.
possible paid caregiving info
https://www.medicare.gov/campaigns/c...caregiver.html
http://www.carepathways.com/articles...-caregiver.cfm
https://www.caring.com/articles/paym...mily-caregiver

for your emotional support
There is a caregiving section in this forum...a wonderful resource for you.http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=23707902
http://www.aarp.org/home-family/care...160602125406:s
http://www.lls.org/support/caregiver...FQFkhgod2rUJQQ
http://www.helpguide.org/articles/ca...t-and-help.htm

Last edited by JanND; 06-02-2016 at 06:58 AM..

Old 06-02-2016, 06:56 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,570,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just wondering... View Post
We live outside of Nashville, TN. Hubby and I are both retired. He has been in and out of the hospital 7 times this year, and it is just now June 1st. I have no idea what is going to happen, but I do know this: Insurance does not pay for everything, and at the rate we're going, it won't take very long before we eat up lots of our savings

I have been trying to take care of him at home, (when he is not in the hospital or physical therapy/rehab) but don't know how much longer that will be possible. Every time he comes back home, he is weaker and weaker and I am not getting any stronger either

So, depending on what happens, I am trying to decide if it would be better to try to go back to work, rent out some bedrooms in my home, or what. I stay so distracted with his health and
condition, I just cannot think clearly right now. And advice/ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!
If you work outside the home, who will take care of him if/when he needs it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting