Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 08:51 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times

Advertisements

If you don't want your neighbor's pot smoke I suggest you purchase in a nicer neighborhood. If you get into a cheap neighborhood there will be plenty of pot smoke and many of your neighbors will be tenants who have little concern about the quality of the neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 08:54 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,588,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
Except you said this was another reason to not rent but it has nothing to do with renting vs owning. Go into the home forums and you will see people in single family homes complain about this exact issue. I've got a decent chunk of land with a neighbor on one side of me and one behind me and I smell their dog **** when it rains. Wish. Was renting so I wouldn't have to deal with it... oh wait.
Nobody is doubting issues happen with owning but not even close to compared to all the issues of renting.

At least owning i can do something about issues landlords don't care they just want the money. If i called my landlord now about the pot smoke he would give me ideas of how to deal with the pot smoke instead of confronting the neighbor. He knows that if he says something to them they might get upset and possibly jeopardize his income.

Nobody cares neither do cops. A cop would ask to join them.

Anyway i'm off to bed i gotta work in the am... one step closer to home ownership.

It's funny though we lived on only a 1/3 of an acre in my parents house and we never smelled dog chit or weed and never had any issues for 12 years. They sold the house after we all grew up and moved out.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:19 PM

366 posts, read 432,932 times
Unfortunately, the only way to escape troublesome neighbors , or neighbors altogether... is to buy isolated acerage or land out in the country. This seems to be an ongoing trend.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:53 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,137 times
Eddie! Are you the same eddie that posted on another thread about how you would not charge a low rate to do your electrical work because your knowledge is so valuable? Correct me if I am wrong but didn't you claim that you would charge something like 200 dollars to install a ceiling fan? Are you the same eddie? If so then what have you been doing with your money man?

Old 06-03-2016, 06:21 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,625,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Is the pot dispencery attached to your house like my pot head neighbor is?

If i owned my own home i wouldn't have pot smoke stopping me from sitting on my porch. A single family home is not attached to other apartments obviously. And like i said it's just another reason of many not to rent.

You can talk until your blue in the face about how owning is not good but it will never change my mind. I grew up in a home my parents owned and we never experienced anything that i do renting.
I owned a single family home in a neighborhood in Phoenix. My neighbor smoked the nastiest smelling weed daily. Depending on the wind, you could smell it in my house. It smelled like he was burning a couple dozen skunks in his garage.

I rented a single family home in a neighborhood of Wilmington NC. I was sitting on the back porch one evening and my 52 year old neighbor stopped by to ask if I wanted to smoke. It took me a second to understand what he was saying. He was inviting me to get high with him. He assumed I smoked since I was sitting outside.

Now I'm living in a house in an affluent retirement waterfront community in Florida. I'm the youngest around by at least 30 years. That's not an exaggeration, when I go for a walk I don't see anyone under 60. Most are retired, the only neighbor I have that works is a physician. Also when I go for a walk I smell pot. I find the older crowd is much more discreet about their use. I'm a corner lot with a vacant house next to me and water behind me, that's probably all that keeps me from smelling it at home.

I used to have a deep hatred for marijuana. I would end friendships with people for getting high when i was in my teens and early twenties. Now I'm 35 and let it all go. I've never smoked weed, probably never will, but I now realize it's not the evil that I was told it was. Society is far more accepting of it now then they were 20 years ago, people aren't hiding their use as much. A lot of people that would not have considered it 15 years ago now smoke. I would suggest making an effort to adopt a "live and let live" attitude towards weed, because it will be legal soon. I would also prefer to live next to a pot smoker over a drinker. It's quite unusual to hear a couple stoners screaming at each other, drunks are way worse.

And you are correct. Renting sucks. Owning a place is far better. I've done both and I only rent because my life will require moving annually for the next few years. But don't expect the expanding use of weed to not affect you if your name happens to be on the deed.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:28 AM

Quote:

At least owning i can do something about issues landlords don't care they just want the money.
What, exactly, would you do about a neighbor smoking weed?

Quote:
It's funny though we lived on only a 1/3 of an acre in my parents house and we never smelled dog chit or weed and never had any issues for 12 years. They sold the house after we all grew up and moved out.
probably sold it to a pot smoker....

Old 06-03-2016, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekab23 View Post
Unfortunately, the only way to escape troublesome neighbors , or neighbors altogether... is to buy isolated acreage or land out in the country. This seems to be an ongoing trend.
That's one way. The other is to recall where your property line ends.

When i lived in younger areas I found people demanding I change to their wishes. Now that I live in an older area I find the neighbors much more accepting. I think younger generations are more self-important than the older folks.

For example, when i owned a house I had a neighbor FURIOUS that I put up a bird feeder. They wrote me a nasty note about how it was going to kill their family and pets with all the bird disease I was harboring. Didn't ring the bell to say it to me, just taped a note to the door. They also lectured me about how I was a terrible dog owner because my dog liked to be outside. They didn't let that one go until I brought them in and showed them the dog door. My dog chose to be outside, the rest of the day she spent laying on the couch...

In this older neighborhood it's way different. the people that bought the house next door are into plants. There is some sort of invasive vine growing in the trees on my side of the property line. Instead of demanding I remove it, he simply taught me how to spot it, how it was bad and offered to cut it out for me. After learning about the vine I cut it out myself, then he stopped by with some species specific herbicide to help it along.

I don't know why the younger people feel their opinions and wishes are more important than anyone else's.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:25 AM

305 posts, read 569,300 times
Right. If you are getting an enormous plot of land that is one thing, but people buying houses in subdivisions or city lots have the same problem. While you may be able to observe some things about the neighbors before purchasing, and may even be lucky enough to meet them, you never know what undesirable things they may do. And if you own it, you might not be able to just pick up and move in a year as easily as if you were a renter.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:34 AM

217 posts, read 247,048 times
Deleted

Old 06-03-2016, 07:36 AM

217 posts, read 247,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If you don't want your neighbor's pot smoke I suggest you purchase in a nicer neighborhood. If you get into a cheap neighborhood there will be plenty of pot smoke and many of your neighbors will be tenants who have little concern about the quality of the neighborhood.
LMFAO. Do you really believe your own BS???

You mean to tell me that no one in a "nice neighborhood" smokes weed and all people in what you would consider a "not-so-nice neighborhood" does???? Seriously??????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting