Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 05:44 PM

2 posts, read 7,349 times

Advertisements

I moved from up north to South Florida, near Miami, about five months back with my husband and grown daughter; we want a house, but since the move was expensive, we decided on an apartment to hold us over for the time being. We live on the middle floor (building has 3 floors) and ever since we moved in, the two women who live below us have done nothing but cause problems for us. Since there are always two sides to every story, I'll tell my side first, and then I'll add on what their side is.

My Side

I do not work at the moment, my daughter just got a part time job, and my husband works full time. The women downstairs constantly complain about the noise we make, saying we're up all night until at least 3-4:00 in the morning causing them not to be able to sleep. They don't bang our ceiling with a broom necessarily, but I can hear them throwing what sounds like soccer or basket balls at their ceilings I guess anytime they hear a noise. They slam the doors every time they leave or enter the apartment intentionally, they let their dog howl and bark all day long and we can hear both of them yelling at each other (probably, also intentionally to **** us off) and occasionally will blast their **** music as loud as they possibly can.

Their Side

I've gotten 2 letters from management now about the noise. I spoke to the manager about them, and according to her, they came in with not only an incident log that had times, dates, and descriptions of the noise we made, but also audio recordings on their phones of noise from us. One of the women has a full time job, the other is a College student and probably the main annoyance. She claims she can never study because of how loud we are, how she has to sleep with ear plugs, and even how she has to sleep in the living room at times due to the noise.

Manager said they've been living in the apartment for a few years now and have never had an issue with them and that we were the first tenants they've made complaints about, so it's safe to say that she is siding with them. Neither parties want to move, especially not mine since we just moved in, but we're most likely going to be facing eviction soon if we get another letter. I wanted to confront them, but one of them caught me staring at her in the parking lot and said to her roommate "Oh god, there's that fat woman that lives above us" not even trying to whisper, then just walked past me and went inside

What should I do? They think that since they were there first that it gives them some sort of authority. We can't afford to move right now, even moving to another unit would cost us money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 05:56 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,233,336 times
They have details and proof nothing can be done about the past but you need to change your habits now. Don't walk so heavy, don't turn your TV too loud, don't drag your furniture across the floor or slam doors. You could ask the complex to relocate you or agree to terminate your lease early and find someplace else to go. With proof there is nothing that can be done for you because you are the problem.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:16 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
It's amazing how some people don't realize that they "walk heavily" - wear slippers instead of hard-soled shoes, maybe think about if you might be a "stomping walker", etc.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:08 AM

36 posts, read 84,791 times
Unfortunately it seems like you have to try and work things out with them. You don't want to have to continue living in fear that you're making too much noise and you DEFINITELY don't want to be evicted. You'd be surprised how both parties can shift attitudes once you show a human side to them. If you care about staying there and don't want to be forced to move, I'd leave a note at their door to see if they want to grab some coffee and try to come to an understanding about the situation. But there are a number of ways you can try to handle the situation. Good luck...

Old 06-07-2016, 12:48 AM

619 posts, read 574,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesmom View Post
I do not work at the moment, my daughter just got a part time job, and my husband works full time. The women downstairs constantly complain about the noise we make, saying we're up all night until at least 3-4:00 in the morning causing them not to be able to sleep. They don't bang our ceiling with a broom necessarily, but I can hear them throwing what sounds like soccer or basket balls at their ceilings I guess anytime they hear a noise. They slam the doors every time they leave or enter the apartment intentionally, they let their dog howl and bark all day long and we can hear both of them yelling at each other (probably, also intentionally to **** us off) and occasionally will blast their **** music as loud as they possibly can.
Do they have a valid point? *are* you on fact up till all hours of the night? Do you in fact make a lot of noise?

Old 06-07-2016, 03:57 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,670,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
It's amazing how some people don't realize that they "walk heavily" - wear slippers instead of hard-soled shoes, maybe think about if you might be a "stomping walker", etc.
I don't think some people know or care if they stomp (which may or may not apply in the OP's situation). I feel I have experienced hyperactive, OCD types (more than one).. bam..bam..bam..bam SLAM. Bam..bam..bam.. THUD...bam bam bam...scrreeeech (dining chairs). The husband apparently assembles heavy items on the wooden table, having tools drop onto the linoleum floor. I will wonder how they might like hearing this, themselves. Typically, one will fault the building instead of their behavior (though others don't act like this) or claim the downstairs person is "oversensitive".

One evening after listening to this (the usual) for over four hours straight, I grabbed a broom and hit the ceiling. They immediately slammed back - then called the manager, as I did so myself. They made it sound as if they had innocently "done nothing" to cause a reaction. So, apparently it has come down to them being able to do whatever they want...with me having to put up with it. The manager has no idea what is really going on or how unbearable it can become. They once began using exercise equipment, which was addressed. (I have tried recording sounds without a great device and may not come across as well to others, unless having to hear it regularly). This type of racket is not "normal living noise", unless for those in their own, unattached home.

I think it needs to be realized that, since noise travels downward, it should be instructed for those upstairs to be aware of this and their actions, with stricter rules. Obviously, quiet, considerate people would be be best upstairs. It seems best if a tenant could be matched to a unit based upon their habits, lifestyle - (however, it seems impossible, whether aware of their own behavior and being upfront about it or not, besides one's circumstances). Something should change with this, since these types of aggravating scenarios - better and worse - are too commonplace and really comes down to personality types.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:08 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
What was your response to your landlord when they shared this info with you? Have you ever reported the barking/howling dog or the blasting music? Both of those things are lease violation....so is the screaming at the top of their lungs.

Personally, I'd call animal control on the dog and the police on the music/screaming and send an email to the landlord with an FYI.

What kind of noise are they saying you're making....what noise did they record? A tv? A radio? A fight? You walking across the floor?? The fat comment makes me think they can hear you walk and since you're home all day, i'm sure they hear you more often than not. Not much they can about you walking unless they deal with the insulation between floors. And if you want to pace your floors all night long, watch tv all night long, read a book all night long, they can't do a thing about it as long as you aren't breaking the law or violating the lease.

I live in a two story townhome and I can hear my 100 lb dd walking around upstairs. If I had to hear that noise from a stranger all day/all night...it might drive me batty too. But I wouldn't complain to my landlord because I can hear people walking above because I know there's little you can do to cure that type of 'noise'.

Don't talk to the neighbors, talk to your manager...tell them your side and ask to read this log as well as hear the recordings. Start your own log...log the comments, the bouncing balls and their noise.

Good luck..keep us posted.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:29 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,670,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by always_sunny View Post
Unfortunately it seems like you have to try and work things out with them. You don't want to have to continue living in fear that you're making too much noise and you DEFINITELY don't want to be evicted. You'd be surprised how both parties can shift attitudes once you show a human side to them. If you care about staying there and don't want to be forced to move, I'd leave a note at their door to see if they want to grab some coffee and try to come to an understanding about the situation. But there are a number of ways you can try to handle the situation. Good luck...
I know this sounds nice...or feasible, but probably unlikely. I have only read of one good instance. I think it might need to be, meeting them while moving in, offering help, a cold drink, getting a vibe and establish being neighborly, if possible.

When I first approached the current ones after a few weeks, nicely conversing with the wife - yet after returning downstairs and settling in, I overheard what sounded like a fist slamming against the wall. That's when I figured what I was in for. Two similar neighbors I had addressed prior never made any change, either. They just appeared to resent it, being a particular personality.

Those like myself would never even be approached if living above another, being conscious of living within a shared space and not wanting to disturb others.

Last edited by In2itive_1; 06-07-2016 at 04:46 AM..

Old 06-07-2016, 06:55 AM

151 posts, read 189,628 times
Try being more quiet?

Old 06-07-2016, 08:03 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,805,291 times
You were incredibly vague about the validity of their complains. ARE you up at 3-4am making noise? Are you someone who walks very heavy? I've lived above people for years and I learned to walk differently so that I wouldn't cause a disturbance. It's not that difficult.

What was the noise that they turned into the manager? I would be curious to know exactly what they had on you. And like Kim said, I would also record/mention their yapping dog and their yelling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting