Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2016, 07:53 PM

741 posts, read 478,454 times

Advertisements

So I found an apartment today that I love in my price range and I am confused about this process. I have an apartment now and the lease is ending soon and when I got this apartment I only had to provide proof of income and do a background check. With this apartment that I saw today the leasing agent told me my parents would have to do the app and use there info and then list me as an occupant. I think this is odd because I have a decent paying job (even though I just started... hence why I am moving) and really great credit, and I am 25 years old. I don't understand why I need my parents to be the lease holder and not myself? Does this sound right? Is this something usual?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 08:32 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,699,161 times
Did you ask them specifically why they are requiring that? Do you meet all the requirements they stipulated to rent there? If they won't or they didn't give you a reason I would just move on and rent somewhere else. But there is absolutely no reason why they aren't or wouldn't tell you why you need your parents involved.

Old 06-10-2016, 01:38 AM

36 posts, read 84,791 times
It's clear that you don't meet some criteria that they have for their tenants. Every landlord can have different requirements based on income multiple to cover monthly rent, credit score, and a host of other factors. This is them just trying to protect their own interests. See if they can give you a response. Otherwise, find a different landlord who is willing to allow you to sign the lease. Good luck!

Old 06-10-2016, 04:04 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Are they asking your parents to be co signers? You're 25 yrs old...old enough to pay your own rent and sign a lease. The only reason I can think they'd want your parents involved is if they feel your income is too low.

You need to ask specific questions and get specific answers..we can only speculate as to why they are asking what they're asking

Old 06-10-2016, 07:23 AM

741 posts, read 478,454 times
I found out, it's because I haven't worked at my job for 2 years.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:31 AM

103 posts, read 220,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab12 View Post
I found out, it's because I haven't worked at my job for 2 years.
Some landlords now are getting ridiculous with their requirements. I would just move on as typically the ones who are overbearing like this are also the worst about micromanaging tenants and treating them poorly with things like monthly inspections (disguised as changing the air filters or pest control) with little or no notice.

Make sure to also get the selection criteria prior to paying any application fees or deposits. Better yet avoid the ones charging applications fees, if possible.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:57 PM

439 posts, read 516,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigmfl View Post
Some landlords now are getting ridiculous with their requirements. I would just move on as typically the ones who are overbearing like this are also the worst about micromanaging tenants and treating them poorly with things like monthly inspections (disguised as changing the air filters or pest control) with little or no notice.

Make sure to also get the selection criteria prior to paying any application fees or deposits. Better yet avoid the ones charging applications fees, if possible.
I don't know, I kinda disagree...there seems to be no correlation btwn *strickness of application requirements* and quality of landlords, in my experience. with the exception being "room for rent" scenarios - where you are actually living with person who owns the home.

If you are living with the person, and they do not check anything about you - like they are not afraid of letting a stranger from craigslist live in their home- *you need to be afraid of them*! Lol. Always if it's too easy, should be a red flag...

Another red flag is hiding roommates.

My first apartment was a takeover lease scenario from a girl I went to high school with (still friends with her on Facebook...) I'm not even sure if the LL checked any reference or anything! It was just a friend reference, and he was a good LL. Nothing broke, well-maintained apartment. When the occupants of the other unit moved out suddenly b/c they couldn't pay rent, he asked if I knew anyone...Also, when I moved out, he asked if I knew anyone who wanted to take over...He kind of worked on referrals.

I've had LL that are really strict with move-in requirements and end up not being good LL...LL that are strict with move-in requirements, and are good LL...In my experience, there seems to be no correlation..

Old 06-12-2016, 01:08 PM

439 posts, read 516,530 times
a person could be a good tenant (albeit young) and parents could be unwilling to co-sign (for whatever reason...In my 20's, my father would always co-sign for my younger sister, but not for me...because his 2nd wife didn't like me and always tried to play my younger sister against me, for her entertainment purposes and so we both wouldn't turn against her, as she ruined my father emotionally and financially- more on that another time) so potentially a good tenant could miss out...

These co-signing requirements in this day and age and a little cray-cray. Not treating a person as an adult until they're practically 30.

Having to get parent's permission to rent an apartment in mid-twenties, ugh. Good luck.

Old 06-12-2016, 02:34 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab12 View Post
So I found an apartment today that I love in my price range and I am confused about this process. I have an apartment now and the lease is ending soon and when I got this apartment I only had to provide proof of income and do a background check. With this apartment that I saw today the leasing agent told me my parents would have to do the app and use there info and then list me as an occupant. I think this is odd because I have a decent paying job (even though I just started... hence why I am moving) and really great credit, and I am 25 years old. I don't understand why I need my parents to be the lease holder and not myself? Does this sound right? Is this something usual?
If you have a high paying job and good credit you should be able to find a place, even though you have only been at your place for 2 years. Find a different place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting