Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 10:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,238 times

Advertisements

My upstairs neighbors are horrid, yes, absolutely terrible but I won't go there for it'd take to long. However, recently they've allowed guests to live in their apartment while they are away, and these people are even worse.

Regular tenants who live here are gone, most likely on vacation and a few days ago, a car full of College aged kids pulled up with blankets, suitcases, pillows, etc and are now in the apartment. These kids are more than likely relatives of my neighbors, possibly shacking in their apartment for Summer vacation and they are up all night long literally running all over the apartment, having parties on the balcony, slamming every door and screaming and hollering. Tonight I was watching TV in my living room and I couldn't even hear it because they were upstairs hollering at the top of their lungs, running from room to room and slamming the sliding glass door shut, only to reopen it and slam it again.

I am absolutely miserable. I have to be up every morning at 6:00 and they keep me up until at least 2:30--3:00 and then are still loud when I get home in the evenings. I complained twice to the office to no avail and told them I'd be calling the cops, and the lady I spoke to (Not sure if she's the manager or not) started saying "No, no, please don't! Don't call them!"

I haven't called the cops but I don't know what else to do. My original tenants are bad enough and now I have all their relatives shacking up there and making my life hell. What can I do? As I am typing right now, they have an extremely loud bass going in the living room and it sounds like they're having a rager
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 10:30 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
If you believe that you have a valid noise complaint (which it sounds like you do) call the police.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:31 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,233,336 times
Call the cops already. If the management doesn't care your only other option is the police.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:55 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Call the cops when they're violating the noise ordinance. You can find the "quiet hours" by Googling your city/town/county name and noise ordinance. Call them every night if you have to.

Also, those kids may not be related to the tenants at all but could be folks who found an available rental on AirBNB or some such site.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:24 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,805,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raina82 View Post
I am absolutely miserable. I have to be up every morning at 6:00 and they keep me up until at least 2:30--3:00 and then are still loud when I get home in the evenings. I complained twice to the office to no avail and told them I'd be calling the cops, and the lady I spoke to (Not sure if she's the manager or not) started saying "No, no, please don't! Don't call them!"

I haven't called the cops but I don't know what else to do. My original tenants are bad enough and now I have all their relatives shacking up there and making my life hell. What can I do? As I am typing right now, they have an extremely loud bass going in the living room and it sounds like they're having a rager
I would have told the person in the office that if I heard the same crap during quiet hours tonight that I would be calling the cops, so either she could come talk to them and solve the problem, or I would solve it.

My answer is... call the cops. The management office can sit and spin. That's just ridiculous.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:46 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Don't bother with management until AFTER you call the police...and call them every night they carry on.

Old 06-21-2016, 04:51 AM

110 posts, read 134,085 times
Why do you assume they are relatives? Probably like the person above said, they are probably people that rented the apartment as a Air B&B.
you should call the police for sure. Why did the manager not wanting you calling the police? Weird.
You have the right to peace and quiet.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:45 AM

2 posts, read 3,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea44 View Post
Why do you assume they are relatives? Probably like the person above said, they are probably people that rented the apartment as a Air B&B.
you should call the police for sure. Why did the manager not wanting you calling the police? Weird.
You have the right to peace and quiet.

Because I know they have kids in that age group (They're loud as I've stated, so I can hear a lot of their conversations) and the car that pulled up the other day has a license plate that's from the same state that my neighbors are (They moved here from out of state).

I don't think she wanted me to call the police because she possibly doesn't want cops on her property, who knows, but I think it's ridiculous how she won't do anything. Don't know how much I can complain however since the people up there are visitors and not on the lease...

Old 06-21-2016, 12:23 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
I don't think she wanted me to call the police because ...
Ir doesn't matter. Call the cops. Every single time.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:18 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Because I know they have kids in that age group (They're loud as I've stated, so I can hear a lot of their conversations) and the car that pulled up the other day has a license plate that's from the same state that my neighbors are (They moved here from out of state).

I don't think she wanted me to call the police because she possibly doesn't want cops on her property, who knows, but I think it's ridiculous how she won't do anything. Don't know how much I can complain however since the people up there are visitors and not on the lease...
I would have already called the police and told them exactly what you stated here, reg tenants appear to be gone, and this group showed up and have been acting like their on spring break 24/7...who knows they could e squatters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting