Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 08:48 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
it might be at "zero" for depreciation purposes, but if it's worn, the wear is because of the tenant's actions. Homeowners paying for carpet themselves often get 15+ years out of carpet - if you take off your shoes, vacuum regularly & clean up spills promptly, carpet lasts much longer.

Depreciation is a tax term, not necessarily the end of somethings useful life. You'll find very few landlords who will ever replace a carpet while a tenant is in a unit, no matter how many years the tenant has been there. And there's no legal requirement for a landlord to do so.
Most landlords buy the cheapest carpet that isn't made to last. Some are so cheap that they won't even spring for a cheap pad under it.

Old 07-02-2016, 08:59 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
I would just deal with them by letter, or email. And cancel lawn service, it is their responsibility.
Raise it $25.00, if they move good riddance.

It is your home, you are in the position of authority, some nerve "We'll get back to you".

Old 07-02-2016, 10:04 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Most landlords buy the cheapest carpet that isn't made to last. Some are so cheap that they won't even spring for a cheap pad under it.
This is why I refuse to do business with cheap... you can spot is a mile away and for the love of Pete why do business with someone you loath?

Old 07-03-2016, 04:59 AM

635 posts, read 753,816 times
Quote:
I've lived in rentals with NASTY carpet and never complained. They have a choice since I wasn't the one who put in their carpet. Either have me put in new flooring and they have an increase in rent or it stays the way it is (because I'm not about to upgrade flooring when they are paying well below market value). It's funny, the wife is the only one who complains, not the husband. My attitude at this point is just "whatever."

Old 07-03-2016, 05:10 AM

635 posts, read 753,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I would just deal with them by letter, or email. And cancel lawn service, it is their responsibility.
Raise it $25.00, if they move good riddance.

It is your home, you are in the position of authority, some nerve "We'll get back to you".
Well, I have to do lawn care bc they are elderly (so that's $80/month) and I don't trust tenants to upkeep yard work. They aren't even keeping up with their side of the flowerbeds right now.

But she could have approached me in a totally different manner. I sent the rent increase message via letter and when she gave me July's check, she became very combatative about why I was raising it. I'm not about to have a tenant talk down to me because they don't like how I run a business because everything cost-wise is going up. If you can't afford to live in the area, move an hour away to the country or 30 minutes away to the bad area of town.

She also said something like "we have been such good tenants and blah blah blah." Ok. That's your job. I was always a good tenant but that never stopped my previous landlords from raising my rent. And please people. Don't jump on this comment and be like "good tenants are hard to find." That is no excuse for keeping their rent extremely low and only having one rent increase in 6 years.

The final thing that she said that got under my skin besides the "we'll get back to you" was "well now I have to stress about moving." Really? A moving truck will cost the same or more as the total rent increase for the year.

Old 07-03-2016, 05:34 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Honestly, they seem pretty entitled and so do you. They're being pills about a minor increase, and you're obsessing days later about them not kissing your feet hard enough when you told them to give you more money. They're your tenants, not your serfs...their job is to abide by the terms of the lease, and it sounds like they're doing that fine. If you want to charge more for rent (and are legally allowed to do so), charge more for rent, but you're kidding yourself if you expect people respond with "thank you sir, may I have another." They're not obliged to stay and they're certainly not obliged to be happy about it. Yes, it's your property. They've also paid you, what, about fifty thousand dollars over the years for the privilege of living there? Sounds like you both could stand to be better neighbors.

Of all the real problems people have with bad tenants, "gave me a little lip when I told them I was raising the rent" is so minor. If you're still upset about it, maybe being a landlord isn't for you. You're liable to have much more serious issues come up in the future if you keep renting out property.

Old 07-03-2016, 06:12 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,225,992 times
Quote:
I use the cheapest carpet I can get at Homedepot.
That is because it wont last more than 5 years anyhow even If I bought the most expensive and my tenants dont want to pay an increase in rent to cover the higher price carpet.

I have a house right now that rents for $1500/mo The going rate in the neighborhood is $3000+.
The tenant who has been there for 5 years demanded new carpet. It was 5 years old so I went in to install $1 /yd carpet. They took a look at the carpet when it arrived and got all pissed off and said they wanted a $5/ yard berber carpet instead and refused to let it be installed. I told them that Id do it but Ill need to raise the rent. They were not interested in raising the rent at all and instead sued me for having 5 year old carpet in the house. I of course asked them to leave which they wouldnd do either and they stopped paying the rent.
The judge of course sided with me and evicted them and awarded me a judgment for the rent due.
The tenant thought I was making big bucks on the house. But just property taxes were 4 months rent and insurance, and maintenance were another 4 months. Buy the end of the year I was lucky if I made 2 months rent. And still they complain.

Old 07-03-2016, 10:28 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Closed upon Original Poster's request
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting