Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2016, 08:56 AM

1 posts, read 547 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm really confused by a simple situation with my cousin and would love some 3rd party opinions or suggestions here.

We live in a 3 bedroom, 3 roommate apartment. I live in the biggest room, a third roommate lives in the next largest, and my cousin lives in the smallest (and cheapest) room. I manage collecting and paying the rent, and have lived here for 3 years in the largest and most expensive room. A month ago, the third roommate had to leave the lease early, so both of us arranged somebody to sublet his room. I also arranged for a good friend of mine to takeover that room starting in September for the new lease.
The departing roommate and I agreed on the room sublet and new leaser (my friend) for September. Recently, my cousin spoke up and said he wanted to move into the room in question. I told him this was not possible, because everything had already been arranged.

Now he is causing an uproar, getting his parents involved, and even his father is leaving unsavory comments on my Facebook photos of me going bowling with friends.. Saying "You're going down the wrong path". Like, seriously, because of a group photo while bowling?

Honestly, I don't know if I should feel in the wrong here. He is a bit of a recluse (except with a select few of his friends), always avoiding conversation with everybody in the apartment, specifically me for some reason. He is not the best roommate. I always need to clean up after him in the bathroom and kitchen... I never made any comments about it because he is family, and is also a relatively frail guy who usually goes to complain to his mother and father if he doesn't get his way. He's the guy who snapchats all the time, posting pictures of his food, but not actually being a normal social person. When I have friends over, he avoids them. When he leaves for pride weekend in NY, he tells nobody. He'll only speak to me if a girl is around, he is gay and has an affinity for speaking with women but not ME for some reason. Massage a woman's feet? Sure. Talk to me about his internship, or my job interviews, or ANYTHING.. No.

Am I being unreasonable? I don't get it. I know I probably should have discussed the new roommate for September with my cousin, but honestly he does his best to avoid me and makes me feel like a turd. I remember one morning I was dressed to the bridges for an engineering interview and also capstone presentations, and he literally said NOTHING to me as he walked by. We JUST starting talking about the room situation, but he left for July 4th weekend without even giving me July's rent, or letting me know he was leaving for the weekend.

Some people tell me he's totally in the right because he's currently on the lease and the new person entering is not. Others are telling me to let him know I don't like living with him, so too bad so sad he's not getting the room. Do you guys have any insight on this situation?

tl;dr: Cousin wants to takeover a bigger room in the house, but it was already promised to another person by me and the current tenant of the room. Cousin is non-communicative to me, but is telling his parents all about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 10:27 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Did you ever ask him if he wanted that room?

Old 07-03-2016, 10:51 AM

6,816 posts, read 11,540,499 times
Is the cousin going to pay the "higher" rent if he moves to the bigger room? If there isn't that much difference between bedroom #2 and #3, perhaps new roommate wouldn't mind taking the smaller room if it's cheaper.

Sounds you need to stop expecting him to treat you like a family member (i.e., complimenting your job interview attire) and just accept he's a kind of socially inept nerd that you happen to live with.

You really shoud have included him in discussions of plans for the room from the beginning.

Old 07-03-2016, 10:58 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Ask him IF he also knows the bigger room is More Expensive. IF he agrees to pay the price In Writing. Let him have it. Tell him he needs to change rooms within 3 DAYS! & Clean the old room. Not cause hes family but because he has been there longer than the New Tenant. Ask the person that see But has yet to move in IF they are interested in renting the smaller room at the lower price. IF not then advertise for a new roomie.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:02 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
The best way to have handled this would be to have offered the room to him first.

Does the new tenant have a signed agreement already? If so, it is too late to change, and I will point out that the cousin must have known that the room was coming vacant and yet he said nothing?

You might ask the new tenant if they would prefer the smaller cheaper room. If not, you have already made arrangements with them and your cousin is out of luck. Tell him he should have spoken up sooner and it is too late now.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:04 AM

151 posts, read 189,732 times
All I can think is that you all need to grow the hell up.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:31 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayelle77 View Post
All I can think is that you all need to grow the hell up.
Who died & made you Master of all things adult

Old 07-04-2016, 11:03 AM

461 posts, read 666,655 times
Family drama! Consider getting your own place for the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting