Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 03:07 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times

Advertisements

Good call
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 03:38 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,545,464 times
As far as improvements made while long term tenants are there - my sister lived in an older building and the LL had been doing some major renovations (new kitchens and baths) as tenants moved out. Finally all he had left to do was my sisters'. He either gave her 30 days notice to leave. She loved her apartment and didn't want to move. They compromised, she moved out (left her furniture) for 2 weeks, he did the work, she moved back. He gave her a break on the rent and gave her something towards a motel room so I think it didn't end up costing her anything. She was happy and he kept a good long time tenant.

Old 07-07-2016, 04:48 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
If I was your tenant, OP, I wouldn't agree to it either, even though I don't have kids. I hate the smell of drying paint (and I'm not convinced that breathing that in is healthy either). As for the possibility of being put up in a hotel for a few nights, I'd decline such an offer if it was made, too. The way I look at things: I paid to live in this unit, not some small hotel room.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:39 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Why do LL do Walk thrus Before the Tenants moved out? How do you [LL] Know what condition the place is being Left in since the Tenant hasn't even Left yet?
It's not necessarily to "bust" the tenant for anything they did to the unit, mostly just for scheduling purposes with contractors - if I know the tub is - say, rusted around the drain, it takes a couple weeks to get new cultured marble ordered, plus I can give a "heads up" to my plumber, drywall guy, tile removal guy, etc. with careful scheduling, I can gut & rehab two bathrooms in a week (even have all of the materials ordered for delivery the day after move-out). If I just started calling contractors the day after move-out, it might take a full month to get the same work done.

Once you've done a few rehabs & worked with the same contractors, a landlord can do a walk through & kinda know whether they're replacing carpet, if they need the drywall dude for a 1/2 day, schedule the painter for the following day, etc. plus, tenants often give you a list of "honey do" stuff, broken fridge drawers/shelves, dead ceiling fans/lights/outlets, etc..

Old 07-12-2016, 04:07 PM

2 posts, read 1,125 times
I don't believe they should need to put up with the inconvenience of having painting and carpet cleaning done especially with kids and of course the health issue of the children. NEVER work on a until prior to a Tenant leaving. When a Tenant follow the rules of proper notice, paid their rent then they should be afforded the courtesy of not having that kind of inconvenience that will only benefit you getting a new Tenant in more quickly.

I am an on-site Manager and as much as we enforce the rules we will stand with Tenants who deserve their privacy and not to be inconvenienced if at all possible.

I Don't mean to sound harsh but some LL just see $$$ and really need to understand when a Tenant signs a Lease/ Rental Agreement this is their home and should always be thought of as their sanctuary.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:29 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
It really is better for both the LL and tenant if the LL paints AFTER the tenant moves out.

1- you have nothing in your way and painting is made much easier for the painter.

2- you don't have to worry about destroying any of the tenants belongings.

If I was a tenant, and I go along with almost everything, I absolutely would NOT let my apartment be painted while I'm not in at the time of painting, meaning, your not going in my apartment alone.

It would be bad enough I have to move, let alone moving stuff only a few weeks before only to have it moved again.

also if the tenant is indeed moving, I'm assuming there would be boxes and dis array of stuff anyway, so painting with all that going on is insanity, at its finest.

Do yourself a favor, paint the second they move out and rent the apartment in the middle of the month or when ever the painting is done and adjust the rent according.

I do thinks it is a little nervy and pushy to want to paint the apartment with the tenants still living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting