Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 12:25 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Got a 4+2 1500 sf. in the Glassell Park Los Angeles area to rent for $3K.
Isn't that somewhat in the hood? I've been to Los Angeles and I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 07:50 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Isn't that somewhat in the hood? I've been to Los Angeles and I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly.
Down on Cypress Ave is not too good, but this is up at the top of the hill in the Elyria Canyon Park area.

Old 09-21-2017, 04:09 PM

720 posts, read 806,054 times
Default Dogwalking is a profession, for reals.

Quote:

For me, pretty much. It depends on how long they've been in business and what their' company's track record is. Like I hinted in my OP I got people with so many off-the-wall job descriptions it's hard to believe any responsible LL would even consider them (professional dog-walker????).

I have a friend who makes a good living as a much sought-after professional dogwalker. People with $$ spend a lot on their pets. Payment history is smart to look at, but preconceived biases about professions may hurt good renters and landlords.

Everyone needs a place to live.

Old 09-21-2017, 04:29 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
Quote:
That's not necessarily true. Many sex offenders cop a plea to register as a sex offender in exchange for no prison time. Depends on how strong the DA thinks his case is. A LL should ALWAYS check the NRSO in addition to a criminal background check. This property has small children all around it.
That requirement is far too strict for my state's laws.

In Idaho, EVERYTHING "illegal" related to nudity or sex is potentially a sex offense you have to register for. For example, streaking at a football game can result in a lifelong "sex offender" registry. Flashing, urinating in public, mooning, etc. Let alone an 18 year old guy with their 17 year old girlfriend. Those are all "crimes" that can get you on the lifelong sex offender registry. Technically, sex outside of marriage is still illegal and could land you on the sex offender list, although I've never heard of that actually being enforced.

So I think it is important to pay attention to what the crime actually is, rather than paint them all with the same brush. A college streaking prank does not register anywhere near the same as a violent predator, yet they both are on the same website.

Because so many things are "sex offenses" here, it is practically impossible to find anywhere to live that DOESN'T have one or more in the neighborhood. Most of them grew out of doing stupid things in college and became normal adults. One lives 2 doors down from me, and he doesn't worry me any more than any of the rest of my neighbors (and less than some).

I have had several tenants who are on the registered offender list from things they did 20 years ago that were non-violent sex offenses (like an 18 year old/17 year old situation), and never had any issue at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting