Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 11:50 AM

635 posts, read 753,816 times

Advertisements

Stupid question but I'm pretty sure that unless I find a qualified last minute renter, I'm going to be stuck with a week or so of having the electricity on when no one is occupying the unit. What do most LLs do in this situation? Do you keep it on or turn it off? I will say I'm in SC and its averaging 100 degrees on most days. I just don't want to waste money on an unnecessary bill if I don't have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 11:55 AM

93 posts, read 95,906 times
I would keep it on. I'd imagine the place would stink without ac in that weather if it were all closed up.

We're the tenants but the previous tenants turned off the gas before us instead of transferring to the PM. Our hot water, gas furnace and fireplace all had to be serviced and I know it cost them quite a bit because nothing worked when we moved in and they had to call in a lot of people. The water heater ended up being replaced and the repair guy said it was without gas for too long. Now I don't know if that's true but I know it was an expensive time for our PM.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:59 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Taken out of person's name the day they leave, back on the owners name. Then on new people the day they move in. You don't need to physically connect and disconnect.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:03 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCUGal View Post
Stupid question but I'm pretty sure that unless I find a qualified last minute renter, I'm going to be stuck with a week or so of having the electricity on when no one is occupying the unit. What do most LLs do in this situation? Do you keep it on or turn it off? I will say I'm in SC and its averaging 100 degrees on most days. I just don't want to waste money on an unnecessary bill if I don't have to.

Depending on the utility company, some charges for turning on/off service. I never turn off electricity between tenants. Just change it back to my name.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:39 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
Most landlords have a "stay on" agreement with some or all of the utility companies, so if a tenant calls in to stop service, it just rotates back to the owner's name.

If the power is shut off in the summer, the sprinklers won't run.
If the gas or power are shut off in the winter, you could have frozen pipes.

So it is best to keep those on.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:52 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,233,336 times
Keep it on same with gas and water. Our utility has a landlord plan so I don't have to do anything and it just stays on then they bill me for the usage. The cost is budgeted into my estimated cost to turn a unit over which I have at $1500 per unit where utilities will be about $300 of that over a month on average, would be lower in winter and high in summer months. You also don't want to go show the unit to a prospective tenant and it be dreadfully hot, or freezing, inside as that leaves a really bad impression.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:01 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
You don't have to keep it frosty-cold. Set thermostat on 82 or so if no one will be going in and out. Other than the a/c you should have only a bit more being used. No TVs, lights, etc.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:03 PM

99 posts, read 89,040 times
Echoing what others say, it switches over to my name for electricity companies that support that for landlords. Having the a/c running regularly is especially important in humid states because it draws out humidity. It's not a big deal for leaving it off for a week in that regard, but it also removes ... well, the smell/feeling of being in a house that hasn't had air circulating for a week haha. I just put the thermostat up to 80. In the winter, similarly, I put the temperature to 65.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:51 PM

635 posts, read 753,816 times
Thank you all for the responses! I'll be keeping it on

Old 07-26-2016, 02:54 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
I have my accounts set as rental accounts. Once the tenant closes his account it automatically reverts in my name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting