Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 05:29 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times

Advertisements

No way are those garages legal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 06:06 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Never forget the renter is the customer and like any business not performing simply vote with your feet...

No Landlord can force you to live anywhere unless you agree.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:37 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas13 View Post
Lacerta :

hey ! so the discrimination is towards tenant C, pays on time doesnt bug anyone, cleans yard area, etc. landlords want to evict him because i am telling you seriously "we just dont like him," this stems from in incident where the landlords popped over and invited themselves in as C was moving in and started to look into his cupboards, tenant C said ' ok thats enough stop looking through my things'.

when i moved in they apparently have always been in landlords name, and so i pay but towards that account, i dont know what the other tenants are using or have guests or what , i am MINI LL because when i get the bills in the mail i have to divide by 4 parts for each bill.. frustrating! I get no discount for putting up notes for who owes and what, and the meter is illegal by you can tell it was Jerry rigged.. not by code, the rooms in A are not by code. all the outlets are upside down! lol they even told me to not let the gas company into back yard so they cant see the meter.

the back 'houses' are not permitted or by code either, again no one has smoke alarms or C02 alarms, C doesnt even have a heater, and the LL said thats how its always been..

No one else has reported them because like i said their son used to live in C and girlfriend in B and pushovers in A prior to me.
You're still not getting it. It's not "discrimination" to dislike Tenant C, unless it is because he is part of a protected class (race/gender/family status/etc). If he is month to month like you, they are perfectly within their rights to tell him to leave and rent their property to someone else. The whole thing sounds very unprofessional. But again, if you don't like how the landlord is doing business or you don't want to care for the lawn or you just got sick of living there, your option is to give your notice and move.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:46 AM

12 posts, read 7,664 times
true, but how are they legally allowed to rent out garages ? as habitable ? no heater, no ac, no stove, no sink disposal, no cover on water heater, ok get this ill give more detail.. he has outlets that are reseeded into the walls about 4 inches, no wall plates, because their so awesome repair team ADDED additional drywall sheets, there is one specifically that if you giggle (as to plug something in) the grounded wire catches and electrocutes you, i told the LL and their response ?? OH can you have one of your electric union friends come and fix it ? that would save us a whole lot ! Thanks!! ( UNIT C )

We do plan on moving, just saving, but i heard you arent suppose to mail out rent checks up to 3 months in advance .. here in CA . plus with all of us havving no meters, and them not caring about the garage door ?? umm arent they responsible for everything ?? since we moved in?

Old 07-28-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
No way are those garages legal
they are not! i am telling you super illegal.. you can see the outline of the original garage door frame and then the bunk gapped door .. didnt even paint or stucco it..

like i said before the LL told me to not allow the gas company see the rigged meter nor to see the back rentals...

Weird ?

Old 07-28-2016, 11:56 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
You've convinced me, you should move. What other issue is there?

Old 07-28-2016, 11:58 AM

i am trying to move, but its hard to save, were putting all this side money to fix things and then wait hopelessly for them to refund us... they are never in town anymore to see whats going on and to pay themselves.. nor do they have smart phones so we can send pictures to them, we just take pictures and save them for our own records.. and no no email either... they are in their 70s and think we should be paying a lot more for this place!!

we are a poor little family and yet happy but we are just stuck here for the time being.. to move to a better place we need 3k and thats really hard on us here in CA ..

Old 07-28-2016, 12:47 PM

If you want to stay, then I would stop fighting with the landlord over issues that aren't yours. You either agree to the terms and want to live there, or your don't.

Perhaps if you are paying for repairs you can send a receipt and deduct it from that months rent. That is a perfectly reasonable proposal. Then you aren't out of pocket.

I think you need to decide what it is you want. Do you want to live there or not?

You can't make the landlord's life more difficult and then expect him to make life easier and cheaper for you. All the talk of reporting him for violations is not something you should do if you want to stay. I'm not even sure it's your business if you want to leave. Just leave.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:07 PM

I don't know how I am making his life difficult If we are the ones doing the repairs and handling everything ourselves.. I just got back from tenant C his power goes out if he runs his AC and his microwave in his unit.. its over 120 F right now.. again the location is illegal how is this just over looked? ILLEGAL .. didn't know until we all moved in here..

we do not want to live here but we are stuck we are not of the finer people who have over 5k just chilling in the account to just move as we please.. we all work 40 hrs.. we are good citizens.. we aren't rich, but only in life itself.

and I would want to report them so others don't get locked into a situation and have to deal with these greedy f'ers...
how is it okay to have no stove no heater no working outlets ?? how is it ok and LEGAL with no smoke alarms and c02 alarms ?? the pipes are soo rusted they are swollen and flakey like a croissant ??? the water is over 600 tdm.. not drinkable!!!

just move and not care ?? I'm not the type to sweep it under the rug ... SORRY.. ILLEGAL IS ILLEGAL.. UNINHABITABLE IS JUST THAT !! they want to hide from gas company they even have these buildings back here ??? and they are not up to code?? yea none of my business...

id like to hear from a LL that says they aren't responsible for things in and on the property so they don't have to fix it or deal with it when new tenants come in ??? " oh sorry that window doesn't work, you cant open it in case of a fire or let fresh breeze in cuz the prev tenant nailed it shut , Soorrreeey ??? --- or --- hey the garage doesn't open ? oh yeah about that were just not going to fix it , its not our problem, sorry.

Last edited by pocahontas13; 07-28-2016 at 02:19 PM..

Old 07-28-2016, 02:20 PM

My only point is, if it's uninhabitable, you should move. You can't report the situation for being illegal, and expect everyone can stay there. You can't have it both ways.

If you report it, I doubt they'll fix it, it's much more likely you'll all end up evicted.

Before you report any of it, make sure that's you want to happen.... to everyone there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting