U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2016, 12:28 PM

125 posts, read 89,507 times

Advertisements

I am currently renting a room at somebody else's home in Denver, I never signed a lease, I basically just moved in and paid the guy the $$$ we made a verbal agreement that we would go month to month and just give enough notice 30 days, before moving out. I know its not the ideal situation but I never had a problem with the guy.
I guess I got lucky and he did to as I am a great tenant/roommate.

However, his brother just go divorced and is moving into the apartment, since its going to be too crowded I decided to give the guy 30 days notice and move somewhere else, he agreed. I found another room, same story, the guy just moved in to Denver from California with his 2 year old son, he said he is a single father and the mother doesnt want to see the kid and thats the reason why he left California to start a new life in Colorado.

He doesn't require me to sign a lease, he seem laid back, and only asked for a small deposit, first month and month - month.

I would like to sign a lease this time, I just think is the right thing to do, more organized. What do you guys think? where can I get a simple rental agreement and what information should i gather from him?

Full name, of course, driver license?

I am totally clueless, i have been lucky every single time i rented a place but again, I dont know this guy.

Also, the kid seems very social and likes me, he is really cute,but in the case of an accident you know kids sometimes hurt themselves. If am around, I dont want to get in trouble, or be responsible. I am so confuse....Lol

Thank you all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 12:43 PM

22,656 posts, read 28,672,666 times
Tenants don't generally get to determine what is in a lease. The owner doesn't want a lease, you aren't getting a lease. Your tenancy will fall under whatever landlord/ tenant laws your state has.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:01 PM

7,192 posts, read 17,775,034 times
Office Max/Office Depot usually sells basic real estate contracts. They won't be state specific, but will give you the basics that you need covered.

Old 07-29-2016, 05:27 PM

1,789 posts, read 1,448,264 times
I don't see what the issue is.

You still both are bound by the state laws (and in some case city/county laws) that govern rentals.

Usually the contract most often is used to restrict the renter and not the landlord anyways.

The process to evict is the same regardless of whether or not you have signed contract. Maybe he thinks its easier without one or something...I dunno.

I think that there is way more potential harm to the landlord by not having a signed rental agreement than the other way around.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:29 AM

3,785 posts, read 9,230,706 times
OP, I get why you want a lease. Many years ago, I was in similar situations.

First time, I became roommates with someone who was renting an apartment. My name wasn't on the lease. I stayed for a year. Never had a single problem.

Then I rented a basement in a private family home. The homeowner decided they wanted to have a party and told me I had to spend the night someplace else. Alternatively, they would have visiting family stay in the basement with me. It was awful. Fortunately, I found a place to stay relatively quickly.

Next, I rented a room from someone who was renting. They didn't own the property. I did not realize this. The landlord found out and kicked me out.

I live in a tenant-friendly state. Nobody could help me. The landlord-tenant commission tried was helpful, but, ultimately, they couldn't offer me the immediate help that I needed.

Get a lease. I know my position would have been strengthened if I had had anything in writing. At the very least, have mail delivered to the place.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:03 PM

40,200 posts, read 15,174,148 times
I agree with Bande. Get a lease, OP.

I searched "residential lease agreement" and got a bazillion hits. I looked at a couple of the freebies and they were very user-friendly, taking you step-by-step through creating a lease for a room (or apartment or house, etc.) on a month-to-month basis in CO. If I were you, OP, I'd go ahead and prepare a simple lease, sign it, and kindly ask the landlord to sign it. He may have no problem with it, since you took the time to prepare it and saved him the trouble.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or