Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 02:55 AM

20 posts, read 18,004 times

Advertisements

I live in a low income apartment complex for the elderly and disabled, in West Michigan. It is a small apartment complex, only 20 units. The managers here are constantly making new rules, most of which seem ridiculous. Most of the rules they don't follow themselves. But this one rule they made recently has really annoyed me and made me question if the rule is even legal for them to enforce. They put up notes on the bulletin board and community room window that nobody is to use cell phones in the public parts of the building for any reason at any time. That includes hallways, community room, lobby, etc. Basically you can only use them in your apartment or outside. It seems strange to me, as I've never heard of such a rule, and cell phones are everywhere. I just want to know if they really have a right to do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 03:04 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Contact an attorney to ask what your legal rights are in this situation.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:10 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
It's probably because elderly folks seem to think that they need to scream into their cell phone...what a racket that would make in the community room! I won't talk to my own mother on her cell or allow her to use it in my car for this very reason.

You can also call the housing authority and ask them, but I don't think this is illegal. I think it's just like any other community rule.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:34 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
It's probably because elderly folks seem to think that they need to scream into their cell phone...what a racket that would make in the community room! I won't talk to my own mother on her cell or allow her to use it in my car for this very reason.

You can also call the housing authority and ask them, but I don't think this is illegal. I think it's just like any other community rule.
You beat me to it (and it's not just elderly folks) - lots of people talk extremely loudly on their phones - very annoying.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:52 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
This sounds awesome. I lived at an apartment once that was kind of motel styled with a walk way common area balcony to get to each individual door. The neighbor would talk on his cell phone as loud as humanly possible for hours every day and night. Sometimes it would be at 2am screaming into his phone.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:10 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf231 View Post
I live in a low income apartment complex for the elderly and disabled, in West Michigan. It is a small apartment complex, only 20 units. The managers here are constantly making new rules, most of which seem ridiculous. Most of the rules they don't follow themselves. But this one rule they made recently has really annoyed me and made me question if the rule is even legal for them to enforce. They put up notes on the bulletin board and community room window that nobody is to use cell phones in the public parts of the building for any reason at any time. That includes hallways, community room, lobby, etc. Basically you can only use them in your apartment or outside. It seems strange to me, as I've never heard of such a rule, and cell phones are everywhere. I just want to know if they really have a right to do this?
I have a few questions:

Why do you think managers need to follow the rules they make for tenants? I hear this in workplace situations too, people complain that managers seem to live by a different set of rules, well yes of course they do.

What law do you think they may have broken? I assume you mean a (fair) housing law not criminal law. Is this some habitability situation that prevents you from tenantable housing conditions? Or is it discrimination as this restriction would affect one protected class more than another? What law could this be that they are breaking? Or do you just feel this is so ridiculous that there must be a law against it. I would like to point out, as stupid as all legislative bodies are (city, state, and federal), they generally don't make laws just for the heck of it.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:34 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Contact an attorney to ask what your legal rights are in this situation.
Quote:
......I live in a low income apartment complex for the elderly and disabled, ....
People who are getting their rent paid by someone else really should be careful about suing their housing provider. It's not like it is easy to up and move to a different rental if you are not able to pay market rent.

There are many businesses that do not allow cell phone use inside, which makes me suspect that it is perfectly legal to limit the location for cell phones. But of course, the best answer is going to come from a local lawyer, so, OP, go ahead and pay a lawyer to tell you whether or not you can sit in the lobby and use your cell phone. Think about it really carefully before you start agitating the management over something that is not much of an effect on your quality of life.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:45 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
WOW & IF you need to call 911 for an Emergancy they wont allow it?? I don't see how they can enforce this.

Old 07-29-2016, 01:10 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
WOW & IF you need to call 911 for an Emergancy they wont allow it?? I don't see how they can enforce this.
Use common sense. Of course they will allow it for an emergency. Same as with any place that doesn't allow cell phone usage.

Old 07-29-2016, 02:03 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Use common sense. Of course they will allow it for an emergency. Same as with any place that doesn't allow cell phone usage.
Actually NO all the LL has to do is See them or Hear them on the phone.... Don't matter why
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting