Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2016, 02:42 AM

1 posts, read 540 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I'm thinking about renting an apartment, and I was reviewing the lease and it says the following "This agreement will begin on August 1, 2016 and continue from that date on a yearly tenancy until August 1, 2017. If the desires to terminate the tenancy, tenant may do so by providing to landlord written notice of intention to terminate. Such notice to terminate must be provided to landlord at least 30 days prior to August 1, 2017. Landlord may terminate the tenancy by giving written notice as provided by law."

Here's my question: does this mean I can terminate the lease just by giving written notice to my landlord? Say if I have to move out early I can just notify my landlord and not have to pay the remaining months in rent? Btw this is all the lease mentions of the terms of the agreement or about early termination. Also, I live in Pennsylvania. Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 04:09 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,944,054 times
That's a bit confusing...you would give notice of renewal/non renewal 30 days before your leases expires; not a notice to vacate (early termination). An early termination is just that, you're terminating your lease early...not when it expires. if it's not in the lease, then state law comes into play. If you think leaving early is a possibility, you need to their terms in writing.

I don't care for the last part: LL can terminate by giving written notice?? Does he mean non renewal? Does he mean asking you leave 6 mths in?? Eviction is how the LL terminates a lease early.

You need to ask some questions and get the answers in writing.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:30 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,716,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edna_baines View Post
does this mean I can terminate the lease just by giving written notice to my landlord?
It sure does. All he protects himself against is the impolite midnight mover.

Quote:
...and not have to pay the remaining months in rent?
Correct.

fwiw... this is the practical reality of the smalltime landlord regardless of lease language.

Large complexes with more "professional" (and rigid) practices have just as many tenants
who will have something change in their life mitigating an early move out. They however
have a few lease clauses which get them a guarantee for an extra month or two of rent from
the departing.

Still, few of them will get more than what the deposit gives them to work from.
Well, unless the development is unpopular or overpriced
which makes them unable to replace a tenant promptly.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:16 AM

32,565 posts, read 47,729,085 times
It says you must give a 30 day notice if you do not intend to renew the lease. The 30 days notice must be given 30 days before the lease ends. It does not mean that you can terminate the lease at any point during the lease just by giving a 30 day notice.

It also says that the landlord will give you proper legal notice if he does not intend to renew the lease (whatever is required by your local law).

Old 08-02-2016, 01:22 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,211,252 times
Intent is a big item when arguing things like this in court and the intent is clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting