Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 01:04 AM

762 posts, read 610,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Dog aside, I was thinking #2 for a number of reasons revolving around amenities and price because where I live (in an apartment), water and sewer is about $170/month. So B is better financially. If yours is truly around $45, then that wipes out that pro. And later you said B is full of maggots and roaches, and that doesn't sound good at all.

I have no comments about the emotional support dog thing, but this took me aback: Really?
Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I suggest you go back to the LL of the apt that doesn't allow pets. IF you feel Comfortable with the situation MOVE in & Enjoy IF Not then keep looking. Most LL don't want pets cause they had Bad experience. Most LL Wont turn you down do to it being against the law. But feel her out...could be a good match. Good Luck.
I emailed the landlord after reading a lot of the responses I here. I basically told her that I have a documented emotional support dog and the last thing I want to do is cause problems for any tenants. She emailed me back not to worry and just to bring in documentation. I really hope I'm not the only one in the building who has a dog.

After giving it a lot of thought, I definitely do not want to be the only tenant in a building with a dog. If there's others I would feel more comfortable.

I'm leaning towards the roach and maggot apartment still lol.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Lamar I don't think anyone is being unsympathetic. I love dogs, actually I love most animals. If I have a neighbor with a barking dog I try to resolve it nicely before management has to get involved. Sometimes the owner doesn't even realize their dog barks a lot when they are gone. There are also ways to train a dog not to bark without resorting to shock collars. That being said, do you want to live where you will have to worry about your dog all the time?

Do you not like where you are living now? Are those two apts your only options?
I actually do like where I'm living right now however I knew it would be just for a year as the rent is way out of my price range and my family actually pitched in which I am embarrassed to admit. Even if I get a smaller apartment in my complex, it's still above what I can afford. In any case, if I continued to live here I would have an hour commute each way which I won't do (my work sites changed).

I right now went month to month and I'm paying an extra $200 for the privilege of doing that. I'm hoping to have a new place by October 4 otherwise I have to keep spending the extra $200.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:49 PM

I toured the place that doesn't accept pets again. The landlord said that a number of people have emotional support and/or service animals and that they have never had issues. She did give me a verification form that I would need to have my doctor's signature on it in addition to the verification letter that I actually have already. I'm guessing it's to weed out people (to those landlords who despise people like me, something like that is smart for you to get rid of us because it requires extra time and red tape). I called up my doctor and her staff said she is out of the office on a family vacation and won't be back to the end of next week. I probably won't get the apartment because I won't have that form submitted right away and the place doesn't accept holds. It is what it is I suppose.

Old 08-11-2016, 03:17 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Cool tho Bummer your Dr is on Vacation. At one time Katie was the only animal here out of 60 apts LOL wasn't so bad she just Got Very Spoiled when she was outside! Everyone seem to need their doggie fix I suggest you let the LL know whats going on with the dr. You may still get the apt as she needs time to check everyone else out yet. & you can ask her to put you on the list for the next apt...with all the paperwork in of course.

Old 08-11-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Cool tho Bummer your Dr is on Vacation. At one time Katie was the only animal here out of 60 apts LOL wasn't so bad she just Got Very Spoiled when she was outside! Everyone seem to need their doggie fix I suggest you let the LL know whats going on with the dr. You may still get the apt as she needs time to check everyone else out yet. & you can ask her to put you on the list for the next apt...with all the paperwork in of course.
Unfortunately this is a tiny complex so a ground level unit doesn't become available that frequently. As a courtesy to me, I was the 2nd applicant for the last one so she put me to the top of the list for this one.

This board had me thinking about emotional support dogs or even really service dogs (even if you are blind, as the people here got me so paranoid). I would NEVER at this point want to me the only tenant with a dog. If there's at least 1 other person with a dog I'm fine but I do not want to be known as the girl with dog.

Again it is what it is. As much as I really want that apartment it just may not be in the cards for me.

Old 08-13-2016, 04:27 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LamarOdomsDealer View Post
I toured the place that doesn't accept pets again. The landlord said that a number of people have emotional support and/or service animals and that they have never had issues. She did give me a verification form that I would need to have my doctor's signature on it in addition to the verification letter that I actually have already. I'm guessing it's to weed out people (to those landlords who despise people like me, something like that is smart for you to get rid of us because it requires extra time and red tape). I called up my doctor and her staff said she is out of the office on a family vacation and won't be back to the end of next week. I probably won't get the apartment because I won't have that form submitted right away and the place doesn't accept holds. It is what it is I suppose.

The doctor likely has provisions for handling urgent patient issues that occur while the doctor is on vacation. Ask to speak to one of the nurses. They might have a backup doctor that can do such things. Or maybe you can get the doctor to sign the form while on vacation. They simply email a scanned image of the form to the doctor who prints and signs it. The doctor would then fax it back to the office. Or scan back to the office if the doctor has access to a scanner. Of course, this would only apply IF the doctor is handling such issues while on vacation. Often they arrange with another doctor for when they are out. The other doctor would access your records to see that an emotional support animal is approved(assuming it's in the records).

However, maybe it's a sign that things won't go right at the non-pet apartment complex. Sometimes the universe points us in the right direction by giving roadblocks such as this one you are facing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting