Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 10:17 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,353,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Pay it online; no question of when it was received. I haven't paid a bill thru the mail in years.

His rental history is only part of his story...his credit report is another. If those late credit card payments are on his report and show a pattern, it most certainly can hurt him. You of all people should know how bad credit effects your ability to rent

Why exactly should two old CC money judgments (15 years ago) with NO other credit activity kill my ability to rent when my credit would be golden today if I had walked away from those debts 15 years ago through BK? I don't know what would happen if I were to apply - I assume the worst - but I'm unwilling to waste an app fee in order to find out.

Moral of story, better to renounce debt through BK than to hope to eventually pay if off and keep your credit trashed indefinitely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 02:31 PM

10,746 posts, read 25,919,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Why exactly should two old CC money judgments (15 years ago) with NO other credit activity kill my ability to rent when my credit would be golden today if I had walked away from those debts 15 years ago through BK? I don't know what would happen if I were to apply - I assume the worst - but I'm unwilling to waste an app fee in order to find out.

Moral of story, better to renounce debt through BK than to hope to eventually pay if off and keep your credit trashed indefinitely.

Because you still have a pile of unpaid debt and you're low income, by choice, that's why.

If you're not willing to do something to make your life better, that's on you. Get a job, a real job, not a "I'm going to be the next Ebay superseller" job.

Old 08-21-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguars010 View Post
thats what im trying to get removed.

you're trying to get the late notices removed? Good luck...I'd argue a day or two, but 30 days??? Clearly you weren't paying on time.

and then i have one other one that was charged off that im trying to get removed as well.

Is this the creditors fault as well? You should be paying this charged off account not waiting for it to fall off.

i also have a kohls card i have never used and an auto loan i've had perfect payments with.

Good..ditch the kohls card and keep making your car payments...ON TIME

those two credit cards have dragged my score down 100 points because the utilization is so high.

They dragged your credit down because you were paying them late or not paying them at all

my question is if i lose the dispute and end up paying these off, does closed paid in full compared to charge off, not paid in full make a difference.

thanks.

It won't make a difference for you because you already have negative hits because of the 30 days and the charge off. Pay the fees and the charge off and work on rebuilding your credit.

Old 08-21-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Because you still have a pile of unpaid debt and you're low income, by choice, that's why.

If you're not willing to do something to make your life better, that's on you. Get a job, a real job, not a "I'm going to be the next Ebay superseller" job.

So my statement is entirely correct that it is better to walk away from your debts through BK than to affirm and to hope to ultimately pay off said debt.

So much for the character of applicants who have good credit because they walked away from debt, and of landlords who rent to them.

I'm a top rated seller, not my fault I am unable to sell out of the home for which I pay rent . As I said, renting is where you pay a premium to get temporary, impaired use of property.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
So my statement is entirely correct that it is better to walk away from your debts through BK than to affirm and to hope to ultimately pay off said debt.

So much for the character of applicants who have good credit because they walked away from debt, and of landlords who rent to them.

I'm a top rated seller, not my fault I am unable to sell out of the home for which I pay rent . As I said, renting is where you pay a premium to get temporary, impaired use of property.

Unpaid debt is unpaid debt..charge offs, BKs, whatever...it's still unpaid.

If you're unhappy being a renter, buy a home. It's really pretty simple, but because of choices YOU made, and continue to make, you're stuck. Oh,well.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Unpaid debt is unpaid debt..charge offs, BKs, whatever...it's still unpaid.

If you're unhappy being a renter, buy a home. It's really pretty simple, but because of choices YOU made, and continue to make, you're stuck. Oh,well.

Everything you say merely SUPPORTS my claim that RENOUNCING YOUR DEBTS through BK is a better financial move for those unable to pay off said debts.

You appear to be saying that it is better for a person to renounce debt (and to thereby display poor character) than to carry it on their back like an albatross.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:47 PM

212 posts, read 194,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguars010 View Post
so i have bad credit with recent lates that i flat out am not going to pay because i dispute the charges.

i have perfect rental history in terms of payment history, (0) late payments and easily will be able to verify the provided income.

thanks.

Your best bet is to go with a private landlord. I had horrible credit after my divorce. I specifically looked for places that were owned by a private landlord since I knew that the rental process would be less formal and I might have an edge by meeting them on a personal level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting