Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 11:08 AM

3 posts, read 2,581 times

Advertisements

Hi, hope this a good spot to ask.

We are renting. We are sharing a driveway with three other houses. Last weekend a tree fell on the shared road and one of the neighbors told us that they will hire a company to remove that tree.
The tree itself don't belong to all of our houses. I longs to another neighbor. My question is: Do I have to pay for the removal or do our landlord have to pay?

We have the same issue with snow removal every winter. WE are paying and paying and it is not even our house. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 11:18 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,437,740 times
The tree should be paid by whose tree it is. In my opinion a tenant should never pay for a fallen tree unless they chopped it down. Snow on the other hand, I can see how it would be your responsibility.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:23 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,391,034 times
Default ah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillySil View Post
Hi, hope this a good spot to ask.

We are renting. We are sharing a driveway with three other houses. Last weekend a tree fell on the shared road and one of the neighbors told us that they will hire a company to remove that tree.
The tree itself don't belong to all of our houses. I longs to another neighbor. My question is: Do I have to pay for the removal or do our landlord have to pay?

We have the same issue with snow removal every winter. WE are paying and paying and it is not even our house. Thanks!
Just tell them you will relay the message to your LL and give your LL their contact info. Leave it at that.
Koale

Old 08-23-2016, 11:33 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,668,872 times
Just tell your LL about the fallen tree and let him deal with it. None of that is your responsibility if it fell due to natural causes because it is not your property.

What exactly does your lease state about who is responsible for snow removal? If you signed the lease and it states you are responsible for the whole driveway, etc., then you are responsible because you agreed to it. If your lease says nothing about it then your LL should be taking care of the snow removal. All of these things should be spelled out in your lease regarding what is included in your rent payment and what is not.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Just tell your LL about the fallen tree and let him deal with it. None of that is your responsibility if it fell due to natural causes because it is not your property.

What exactly does your lease state about who is responsible for snow removal? If you signed the lease and it states you are responsible for the whole driveway, etc., then you are responsible because you agreed to it. If your lease says nothing about it then your LL should be taking care of the snow removal. All of these things should be spelled out in your lease regarding what is included in your rent payment and what is not.
Hi thanks for the answer. I read the leasing agreement and it clearly says: I am responsible for Snow/Ice Romoval. I think, I need to pay the 25% for each removal of the hared road. But there is nothing in this agreement that says something about that tree. Just lawn and shrubbery care is our responsibility. It looks like that trees fallen from the neighbors area into mine are mine responsibility.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Just tell them you will relay the message to your LL and give your LL their contact info. Leave it at that.
Koale
Unfortunately our landlord isn't very reliable. They are annoyed with everything they have to do.
But I try!

Thanks!

Old 08-23-2016, 12:16 PM

How did you get this:
Quote:
It looks like that trees fallen from the neighbors area into mine are mine responsibility.
out of this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
I repeat, it is not your property so you are not responsible for the tree falling due to natural causes. Just let your LL know about the tree and be done with it and don't let the LL convince you otherwise.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately our landlord isn't very reliable. They are annoyed with everything they have to do.
But I try!

Thanks!
Too bad. You contact the LL and let them know about the fallen tree and that it is blocking the driveway and it needs to be removed. Period. If the neighbors have a problem with it and are complaining to you then you just give them your LL's number to deal with him directly. If it is the neighbor's tree and they are not removing it then you tell your LL that as well so your LL can deal with your neighbors. Either way it is not your responsibility.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:28 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,394,250 times
I consider snow removal to be a tenant responsibility, but then, I live in an area that doesn't get much snow anyway.

But trees would be owner responsibility unless the tenant caused the damage (like someone said if the tenant cuts the tree down), or unless it was an offshoot that the tenant allowed to grow in the first place, often referred to as suckers. I expect tenants to keep suckers under control, and we've had houses with 10'+ tall suckers that we had to deal with, that I charged a tenant for.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I consider snow removal to be a tenant responsibility, but then, I live in an area that doesn't get much snow anyway.

But trees would be owner responsibility unless the tenant caused the damage (like someone said if the tenant cuts the tree down), or unless it was an offshoot that the tenant allowed to grow in the first place, often referred to as suckers. I expect tenants to keep suckers under control, and we've had houses with 10'+ tall suckers that we had to deal with, that I charged a tenant for.
Right however, because the tree fell from the neighbor's yard it is a moot point. The tenant's only obligation is to let the LL know about the tree and then the LL and the neighbor need to duke it out amongst themselves to get the fallen tree removed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting