Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 04:35 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times

Advertisements

You're in a tough spot for sure.

Your options are limited, but I agree you need to do something; your unit sounds utterly disgusting.

Talking to the landlord could backfire, but at this point what do you have to lose? If you continue living here you could end up evicted, with a judgement, and a nice ding on your credit. You could just tell your landlord you want out and state the reasons why..you won't be able to break the lease for free, but as long as you're free from the lease/unit, it will be worth it. You'll have to sue your roomie for your portion of the deposit.

Sucks because the dogs aren't yours....but you're on the lease so you're going to be held responsible for any damage they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 09:32 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I'd contact your landlord....and tell him what is going on. Maybe he will let you out of your lease and go after her simply because he is thankful for you telling him....it is going to destroy his building soon.
Dream on. If it was a single woman I would wonder if you are my ex-tenant. She was a high school principal, no children, one dog. You would think she had a brain. Turned out she left the dog in one of the bedrooms whenever it was hot and she had to go to work (Phoenix). The dog {censored} and {censored} all over the carpet, until finally tenant broke her lease and moved out of state.

When I got there and saw the damage I had to replace the carpet and pad. You could still the {see above}. I finally had the carpet and pad stripped again, bare concrete sealed, entire room including walls, ceiling and trim repainted with Kilz, new padding and new carpet, and new tenant still said you could smell it, but accepted it as sufficient.

If I were your landlord and you told me about this, I would give you a 48 hour notice for landlord inspection, and when I discovered what you probably have I would evict both of you as quickly as possible and hold your deposit until the unit is returned to condition it was in when you rented it, and then return your deposit minus cost of repairs. If the cost of repairs exceeded your deposit I would send you a demand for payment, and after a suitable period if not paid I would file a lawsuit to collect damages.

Short answer: you need to learn to identify toxic people and get away from them. By whatever means you should extricate yourself from the situation including get your name off the lease or rental contract.

Recommended reading on toxic people: "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin de Becker. Read it, heed it. It could save your life some day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting