Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 01:58 PM

110 posts, read 202,827 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon,

I have only lived in my current neighborhood of Baltimore for 4 months, and the events of last night/this morning have driven me to my breaking point, and I want to move. However, I need to know if I have legal justification first:

There was apparently a robbery gone wrong in front of my building, where several cars, including mine, were shot up. My right side passenger window is gone, and I have a bullet hole in my car door. With the constant harassment from men every time I leave my home to climbing over junkies (despite their being a NO LOITERING sign, police asking them to leave, and my landlord asking them to leave) on each house on the block, I am DONE with where I live now, and I want to leave.

I have already spoken to police and I have a report and pictures of the property damage. I spoke with my landlord who claims to have a direct contact within the police department, there are cameras on my block, and there is a frequent police presence. HOWEVER, no one seems to know what happened last night/this morning, and of course, no police were around.

Just some history, I am not living in this neighborhood by choice...I would NEVER move here willingly; I got into a serious financial strain earlier this year, which caused me to be evicted. My current landlord was the only one willing to work with me, and I really needed a place to live. The rent is cheap, it has allowed me to get back on financial track, and I tried to keep in mind that I will have a good rental reference in the future. But this is just too much...I thought I could stick it out for the remainder of the lease, but I cannot. Do I have legal cause to break my lease early?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 03:28 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Nothing here to break your lease outside what your lease says. You can break it based on what the lease says. If everyone was allowed to break a lease if crime happened in their area then leases wouldn't hold much value.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:21 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoopremeBeing View Post

I have only lived in my current neighborhood of Baltimore for 4 months
Pack up and go.

Don't expect to ever see your deposit
but I really doubt any B'more LL will bother going after you.
(and I'm from there)

But just in case yours is the exception ...
go to court with copiesof the certified letters you sent him.

The first asking nicely for his cooperation.
The second saying it's untenable and packed up.

But do cooperate to make sure the place is clean and that you get him the keys.
And document that too.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:17 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Do you have a 1 year lease? Maybe you landlord will agree to allow you out of the lease for no charge. Ask.

Possible landlord would rather do this now because it's easier to get a new renter before winter arrives.

Tell the landlord the reason.

Before you bail - are you sure you can find something else? Don't give notice to move out until you are sure another rental will accept you.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:27 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
No one can compel you to stay other than whatever financial penalty may be imposed... I know several that charge 2 months rent for cancellation privileges.

That said... the owner generally must make a good faith effort to find a new tenant to mitigate loss.

I've run into this a few times... once there was a horrific crime at the adjacent property... no reflection or anything the landlord could have done as it was simply proximity...

Several tenants wanted to leave and we did it by the book... fortunately for all, I was able to re-rent quickly as I had a wait list for the one that left.

Two others decided they were over reacting and stayed and one is still there 9 years later.

Only you can decide what is right for you...

Do you have a place to land and will you need any references?

Being evicted is a non-starter for me.... a lot has to happen before the Sheriff arrives at the door to put someone out.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:10 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Because of your eviction, no other landlord would accept you. So, now you think that 4 months later, lots of landlords are going to be eager to rent to you? With both an eviction and a bad reference from your current landlord? Because your current landlord is going to say that you broke the lease 4 months in.

You'd better think this though very carefully before you do anything.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Do you have a 1 year lease? Maybe you landlord will agree to allow you out of the lease for no charge. Ask.
Before you bail - are you sure you can find something else? Don't give notice to move out until you are sure another rental will accept you.
Yes my lease is only for 1 year. I have contacted a MD Tenant Lawyer(waiting on a call back), but I haven't started looking at rentals until I know what I can and cannot do in regards to breaking a lease.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Because of your eviction, no other landlord would accept you. So, now you think that 4 months later, lots of landlords are going to be eager to rent to you? With both an eviction and a bad reference from your current landlord? Because your current landlord is going to say that you broke the lease 4 months in.

You'd better think this though very carefully before you do anything.
I don't recall saying that my current situation would lead to a negative reference from my landlord. I have not spoken to him about breaking the lease, nor will I speak to him at all until I find out what the law stipulates. If it turns out I do have the right to break this lease for a legal reason, then I will start looking elsewhere. Otherwise, I will have to wait.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:59 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Even if it is a "Legal" reason I would still not expect a good reference...

Many simply refuse to give any negative references and other simply look at how long between moves...

Long term tenants are my bread and butter... I have some going back to the 1980's...

City-Data does not offer legal advice... only member sharing experience and opinions.

Sounds like you are on the right track having contacted a lawyer.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:02 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoopremeBeing View Post
Yes my lease is only for 1 year. I have contacted a MD Tenant Lawyer(waiting on a call back), but I haven't started looking at rentals until I know what I can and cannot do in regards to breaking a lease.
Agree.

Even if he let's you out (which I doubt), where are you going with an eviction & bad credit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting