Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 05:59 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
LL ignored my verbal and email complaints about the dog disturbing me. Finally I confronted the mgr in person and she told me to call the city! I told her I did and they told me to contact the owner. I ask who
her boss is so that scared her so she said she would take care of it. She probably gave the dog owner
a slap on the wrist because the dog is still left alone in the crate and he wants out of it. Oh, the banging on the floor as he scoots it around. He's a great dane and he's huge. My big question is: if this is a service dog why would he be kept in an crate for hours instead of being with the owner???
If it is really disturbing to you, to the point that it impacts your right to quiet enjoyment, send a certified letter to the manager and/or landlord asking them to remedy the situation, whether through removing the dog or assisting you with the expense of finding a place that can provide that quiet enjoyment. Whether the dog is a service dog or emotional support dog it is not covered if it becomes a nuisance as a result of the owner being unable to control its behavior, whether the owner is at home at the time it occurs or not. If some of your other neighbors send similar letters it will help give the manager/landlord ammunition to evict the dog.

Old 09-04-2016, 04:02 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,629,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
If it is really disturbing to you, to the point that it impacts your right to quiet enjoyment, send a certified letter to the manager and/or landlord asking them to remedy the situation, whether through removing the dog or assisting you with the expense of finding a place that can provide that quiet enjoyment. Whether the dog is a service dog or emotional support dog it is not covered if it becomes a nuisance as a result of the owner being unable to control its behavior, whether the owner is at home at the time it occurs or not. If some of your other neighbors send similar letters it will help give the manager/landlord ammunition to evict the dog.

Well I'm not going to move, I shouldn't have to. That is a super great inconvenience when I don't even have a dog and I am not the problem. I spoke directly to the mgr and I have not heard the dog in a couple of days. Hopefully they got the msg!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 09:35 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,623,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
And I disagree that these situations need an attorney in the majority of cases, if at all. This is not rocket science or anything even remotely close to it. It is more that people don't want to read the facts or educate themselves. They would rather make things unnecessarily difficult and negate and fight the system and make their own assumptions instead of educating and protecting themselves. Bottom line: there is nothing wrong with the laws as long as everyone takes a few minutes to read and follows them and then do the proper leg work to protect themselves.

But of course, for those that don't want to read a minimal amount of information to empower and educate themselves then, and only then, is the expense of an attorney needed. So, spend away!
No, it's not rocket science, but landlords and tenants tend to approach the law with emotion. The dog owner will twist the same sentence in their favor and the landlord will twist it in their direction. People have a very difficult time removing emotion from situations like this.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:35 PM

762 posts, read 610,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
Well I'm not going to move, I shouldn't have to. That is a super great inconvenience when I don't even have a dog and I am not the problem. I spoke directly to the mgr and I have not heard the dog in a couple of days. Hopefully they got the msg!
Hopefully a dreadful dog like that got put down! Everyone is entitled to peace and quiet!

Old 09-12-2016, 04:40 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LamarOdomsDealer View Post
Hopefully a dreadful dog like that got put down! Everyone is entitled to peace and quiet!

The dog should be killed because it barks and whines? Really?

this isn't about the dog..it's about the owner and the landlord. Service dog, support dog or pet...it doesn't matter..no one should have to listen to a dog carry on like that.

The OP needs to reach out to animal control, police and landlord to get the owner to do something about the dog. The op could offer to walk the dog..a tired dog doesn't normally act this way and probably gets very little exercise. Many cities have ordinances against this type of noise...the op should call and find out. Even if the complex is pet 'friendly', its not a free for all zoo...there are rules and boundaries

I raised my dog in an apt and I spoke with all my neighbors when I brought him home. I gave them all my number and told them to call me if he ever disturbs them while I'm gone. If I saw my neighbors out and about I'd chat a bit and ask them if the dog is a bother. I also made sure my dog was properly crate trained and exercised everyday. Never had a complaint...not one...but the lady on the first floor got complaints daily...her rats barked all damn long and she ended up having to move

Old 09-12-2016, 09:24 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LamarOdomsDealer View Post
Does that mean every time YOUR emotional support dog barks, you think about having him put down?

Old 09-12-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Does that mean every time YOUR emotional support dog barks, you think about having him put down?
There is a huge difference between a dog occasionally barking a couple of times a day and a dog barking through the entire day or entire night.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:10 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Airlines To Limit Emotional Support Animals

Old 09-25-2016, 11:04 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
This was anticipated. In 2009, DOj went through the same review for Service Animals under the ADA and came up with a new set of rules and definitions that went into effect in Sept of 2010. The AACA was scheduled to be reviewed in 2012 but was pushed back to 2017 due to budget and politics. However, it will be reviewed next year and like the ADA, there will be some radical changes. The FHA was scheduled to be reviewed in 2017 but will most likely also be pushed back until the AACA is competed. Because the FHA is considered the most liberal of all the animal access regulations, it will probably be the one with the most severe revisions and is why they made it the last one. So if landlords are upset over the current FHA regulations, they need to be prepared to open their mouths and speak up when the comment period starts.

Old 09-26-2016, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
This was anticipated. In 2009, DOj went through the same review for Service Animals under the ADA and came up with a new set of rules and definitions that went into effect in Sept of 2010. The AACA was scheduled to be reviewed in 2012 but was pushed back to 2017 due to budget and politics. However, it will be reviewed next year and like the ADA, there will be some radical changes. The FHA was scheduled to be reviewed in 2017 but will most likely also be pushed back until the AACA is competed. Because the FHA is considered the most liberal of all the animal access regulations, it will probably be the one with the most severe revisions and is why they made it the last one. So if landlords are upset over the current FHA regulations, they need to be prepared to open their mouths and speak up when the comment period starts.
I hope whenever the day comes for that comment period that you post a thread on here letting all us who aren't as good about keeping abreast of this kind of opportunity know. Many of these changes came about without the impacted parties who must now accomadate these animals having any idea such changes were in the wind. Emotional comfort turkey or snake, my %##. We had a lady claim she had an emotional support cat, bull. Of course pets provide emotional support, that's why people get them, but that shouldn't mean I lose the right to decide what happens to my property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting