Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 01:08 PM

2 posts, read 2,590 times

Advertisements

I moved out of my apartment in Tempe on July 31st, got a check in the mail for $80, out of a $500 deposit. Not a big deal, doesn't bother me, only person it bothers is my roommate. I adopted a cat midyear and snuck my cat in (I know it was the wrong thing to do, just couldn't afford the $350 pet fee at the time and I had 1 month left on my lease) and she kind of tore up the carpet and urinated on it and everything, I cleaned what I could but come move out time the entire carpet had to be replaced. My roommate is claiming that I texted him saying I would repay him for any security deposit lost due to the cat, which I really don't remember texting him. He wants to take me to court by a certain date if I don't give him his money back, although we never had anything in writing that I would pay him back the money. What do I do?

Mod note: moved from Phoenix, Arizona forum

Last edited by yellowbelle; 08-31-2016 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: added mod note to assist readers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 01:10 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,053,827 times
Pay him for the damages your cat caused which made him lose his part of the security deposit.
Train your animals properly.
Pay the pet fee before you get a pet.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:22 PM

2 posts, read 2,590 times
But there was absolutely no agreement between me and him about who should pay had the security deposit been lost, because he did his fair share of damage to the apartment. My cat is domesticated and goes to the litter box. It wasn't a thing with training. Issue is I deep cleaned the carpet a lot over the summer and the carpet wasn't horrible at all and it did not smell. which is why I feel like the carpet cleaning company just wants money

Old 08-31-2016, 01:25 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,053,827 times
Okay, you asked, I answered but you already have an excuse as to why you should not be held responsible for the damage your sneaked in cat caused.
Carry on, bless you.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:25 PM

9,189 posts, read 16,571,454 times
Your cat caused the damage that caused you to forfeit most of the deposit. He didn't do anything to cause that, did he? You owe him his half. Regardless of an agreement, you admitted that your actions (sneaking in the cat, allowing the cat to pee everywhere, etc.) caused this.

This is a no-brainer to anyone with an ounce of integrity.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:33 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,892,793 times
you snuck an animal in, violating the terms of the lease..
you owe him dude; man up and do the right thing

Old 08-31-2016, 01:35 PM

483 posts, read 662,564 times
Seriously? This is even a question? Judge Wapner would throw the book at you...if he was still around, that is.

Old 08-31-2016, 03:05 PM

113 posts, read 158,749 times
Give him back the money he put into the deposit. And another 20 for making him live in a pissy apartment until you left.

Old 08-31-2016, 03:44 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,127,583 times
I'll play devil's advocate here...

I think the other roommate is just as at fault as you are for allowing you to keep a cat in the apartment. I would have had you immediately remove it and if you refused I would have contacted the rental office. You both deserve to be out that money.

Old 08-31-2016, 03:52 PM

9,479 posts, read 12,240,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
I'll play devil's advocate here...

I think the other roommate is just as at fault as you are for allowing you to keep a cat in the apartment. I would have had you immediately remove it and if you refused I would have contacted the rental office. You both deserve to be out that money.
I kind of agree with this.

Also, who paid the $500 at the beginning? Whoever paid this is out the money, really. If you each paid $250 and you each got $80 back you are each out $170. If he is serious about a lawsuit I'd probably pay him his $170 share and move on (assuming that is how the deposit was paid to begin with)

Also, get your cat to the vet. Peeing all over and tearing stuff up is not normal behavior. Something might be medically wrong with it. (cat's tend to go outside the litter box if they have a UTI or kidney stones, for example)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting