Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 08:29 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,572,247 times

Advertisements

This morning I was shook out of my sleep by the dishwasher randomly turning on and the alarm on it blaring. At the same time the neighbor was banging on the wall like a lunatic. This happened last week too with the dishwasher but i thought it was a one time fluke but apparently not. The dw is about 25 years old i'm guessing so i bet the electronics are screwed up from surges or it simply is bad from old age.

Now i went down to the basement to turn the breaker off and i found 2 or 3 breakers in my panel labeled "basement dryer" "basement dishwasher" "basement washer". Now he has a basement apartment he rents out. Obviously those circuits need to be in a seperate panel for the basement apt not in mine.

question #1 Do you think the reaction from the neighbor banging violently like that is appropriate? I get it that they were annoyed by the dishwasher but who acts like that?

question #2 more importantly what would you do about the circuit situation? I know the landlord needs to be told about it but i lived here 11 months now and it's been like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 09:41 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,468,522 times
Yes I'd be annoyed if I was the neighbor. Yes I'd tell the landlord today.

Old 09-03-2016, 09:47 AM

556 posts, read 430,934 times
I've never heard of an alarm on a dishwasher. Is it like the buzzer on a dryer and alerts you that the dishes are clean?

Old 09-03-2016, 11:10 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,396,303 times
Cool well...

First off I have to wonder what is wrong with you? Get your butt over to you neighbors and apologize and let them know you are contacting the LL...geez, just use some common sense. You probably could have had all this resolved by now if you hadn't decided to publicize it here.
Koale

Old 09-03-2016, 11:15 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,410,624 times
Welcome to the joys of apartment life! This is why people look to move to a single family home.

Old 09-03-2016, 11:30 AM

666 posts, read 639,084 times
Yes I think the neighbor reaction was appropriate. This dishwasher alarm had been blaring for who knows how long and they were trying desperately to get you to wake up and shut it off. I wouldn't be "getting my butt over to apologize" though, they wanted a response personally they could have knock like a normal person. not sure why the circuit panel is your concern, if I'm being honest.

Old 09-03-2016, 02:38 PM

So a dishwasher malfunctioning and not owned by me it's the landlords i should apologize? It randomly went off and had nothing to do with me i wasn't using it. I will gladly let my neighbor know what the issue was but i'm not going to apologize for something i didn't do.

You don't bang on the wall like an animal you call the landlord or come knock on the door like a human.

I texted the landlord right after i turned it off.

Old 09-03-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
First off I have to wonder what is wrong with you? Get your butt over to you neighbors and apologize and let them know you are contacting the LL...geez, just use some common sense. You probably could have had all this resolved by now if you hadn't decided to publicize it here.
Koale
I have to wonder what's wrong with you because i didn't ask what to do. If you read the question #1 I asked if the reaction by the neighbor was appropriate.

Learn to read.

Old 09-03-2016, 03:21 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,495,234 times
Quote:
So a dishwasher malfunctioning and not owned by me it's the landlords i should apologize? It randomly went off and had nothing to do with me i wasn't using it.
Your neighbor doesn't know that. I would most likely let the neighbor know that there is an issue and you're trying to get it resolved from the landlord. Not your fault, but not their (neighbor's) fault either and obviously disturbing to them. If their reaction was the same last time it happened, they are overreacting, but they may think you are purposefully doing this and were more upset this time around.

I would tell the landlord about both issues.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:53 PM

539 posts, read 564,013 times
Don't get snarky with people. You asked for advice, so stop acting high and mighty.

You have no clue how long the dishwasher was beeping, and if it didn't wake you but did wake your neighbor, then the walls might be joined in an odd way. No, it's not your fault, but it IS your dishwasher you're renting, and your responsibility to not have it on in the middle of the night, accident or not. What was your neighbor supposed to do, turn it off himself? If you couldn't hear the ringing/beeping of the dishwasher then chances are you couldn't hear someone JUST knocking on your front door. They did what anyone would, bang until you woke up, and it worked. I've done it before too. And eventually it works.

And yes, you should apologize for your malfunctioning machine waking everyone else up. Maybe even offer your phone number as a just in case protocol, if you absolutely hated getting awoke by the banging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting