Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 11:44 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Have you gone to HUD in your area and applied for housing. You are well under the poverty rate. The rent would be sliding scale. It is at least a start, and when you can do better you will. I encourage you to go apply.
^^This ^^^

OP- also see if anyone can co sign for your first place?

Kindness cost nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 11:42 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnaBunney View Post
It may be also that you aren't making as least 2 times the rent. A lot of places require you to make at minimum 2 times the rent.
Gross salary should be at least 3x the rent.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I require take-home income to be three times the rent. A lot of other landlords have the same requirement. So you are financially qualified to rent a place that is $333 a month. Try looking in that price range.
Reading in post order, didn't see your post before mine above. Definitely 3x rent. I know for sure because I have a 2x tenant and I'd probably have a heart attack if ever tenant paid on time. Over $200 in late fees this month... IF... tenant pays rest by the 15th.

Difficult lesson for me. I forgot to check the salary:rent ratio before renting. Even worse, it's a lease. I can't just kick tenant's posterior out.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:41 AM

285 posts, read 262,357 times
Okay I do apologize cause I snapped but that's not normally how I'm like. I just increased my t dosage and I know it makes my mood slightly unpredictable at times, basic things i normally ignore **** me off faster. Like now I'm fine reading the stuff posted, at the time I was pissed for nothing. Sorry again.

Now there are places that have rent for under $400, but those are student apartments. I'm a little out of luck there obviously.

I have a gym membership solely for the purpose of keeping said temper under control. That's something I can't give up. It's helped me so far. It helps me stay calm and collected and keep myself relaxed. Keeps my anger in check and obviously I think you can tell that's something i need.

To the person who said I'm like this looking, funny. I'm very polite to them. I need a house, not an enemy.

My payments with the university have been situated.

Now I know I need to find another job. I honestly thought making twice was enough. My issue is hours. Hopefully I can find a job that'll take me for just nights alone.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Fortunately, there are plenty of people looking for a roommate in Cloudtown. Many times for rent of under $400. Find other college students. It isn't hard. Most of the college landlords won't check any type of background and their tenants don't have history or credit to speak of.

You're actually a good candidate for a roommate, since you sound like you aren't home much. People don't want buddies in roommate situations, they want someone to help pay the rent and who has similar views on noise and housekeeping. In a University town, you can find all types, even in a conservative place like Stearns County.

Also, what is wrong with SCSU student housing? Dorms should work for you.
Months ago I realized I couldn't afford dorms anymore. I was given a few months to move out by my mom and dorms were, at the time, my only option. When I realized ib couldn't afford it, I desperately tried (and failed) at appealing for them letting me leave due to financial hardship. Which, by the way, they told me was possible if I could prove I made no amount. Then i was given two weeks to find a place or pay $500 every two weeks. I only made $250 on a good check.

Now I'm in a shelter as I had no options. I still owe them but we got that situsted for now. But I'm never moving into dorms for the rest of my life. I now know the financial hardship part was just to get you in, get your money, and get you out. Dorms ****ed me up.

And I'm not a student so I can't go into student housing. I'd live with one or two people though. That's it. I've been looking now since I'm obviously screwed for now.

Last edited by Marka; 09-18-2016 at 03:50 AM..

Old 09-12-2016, 09:05 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTK View Post
So I'm either stuck in said shelter (yes its a ****ing shelter), living in a dorm which GOT me into this issue since they wouldn't allow new students into apartments for some unseen reason, or live with people which is the reason I'm moving?

If that's the case, I'll just look into renting a damn $400/month traphouse apartment, cause there's no way in hell I'm living here.

And to the idiot, yes idiot, who said my loans are $300/month, no they're not. Mines are income based and currently that is, for some reason, $50 or less.

I get roommates might be my only option, but I seriously have no patience for them. Not everyone is cut out for roommate life and I'm one of those people. Add to when I leave out for work, leave for the gym, and come back in general and I'd be one ****ty roommate. I leave to workout anywhere between 9:30 and 10pm and don't come back until 11 or so, as I am extremely hyper at night and need to work off the energy somehow. I also leave for the city, to see my brothers and friends, and usually don't return until well past 11pm. I'd be a terrible roommate and I don't want roommates. I simply want to finally live alone.

Plus I have no idea if said roommates will be homophobic or transphobic and guess who I am? St. Cloud might be safe but every city has its crazies and I don't feel like finally meeting one. In my own home.

I just want to live alone, not deal with people (especially since my testosterone dosage increased and I tend to be a raging ***** at times), and do my thing. Work, go home, chill, relax, rinse and repeat.
I come home late too and have roommates. As long as everyone tries not to be too loud once others have gone to bed it can work just fine. If you need to be very hyper you can jog around outside until you are exhausted enough to get into your bed and crash.

And as to your fear of crazies, I don't get why you think there won't be crazies in the shelter? That's your only alternative. If you get housing you cannot afford you will end up back in the shelter anyway. It's either the shelter or roommates until you can increase your income.

And be warned, if you get evicted for not paying your rent, finding housing will likely be a tremendous struggle for up to 7 years. Don't do long-term damage to deal with a short-term problem!

Old 09-12-2016, 10:47 AM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Gross salary should be at least 3x the rent.
Nope.

use NET take home pay after all payroll taxes and any other related or garnished deductions.
also account for OTHER debts being paid (car loan? school loans? whatever)

THEN come up with a multiplier that allows you to sleep at night
and ideally will allow you to not have to eat ramen noodles on any regular basis.

Personally... I'd suggest targeting 25% of that net, net income.
Then you might be able to actually enjoy your life too.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Nope.

use NET take home pay after all payroll taxes and any other related or garnished deductions.
also account for OTHER debts being paid (car loan? school loans? whatever)

THEN come up with a multiplier that allows you to sleep at night
and ideally will allow you to not have to eat ramen noodles on any regular basis.

Personally... I'd suggest targeting 25% of that net, net income.
Then you might be able to actually enjoy your life too.
That's what I was doing, so I'm surprised by the 3x amount. I eat noodles on a regular basis. My diet costs a good $30 month.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Nope.

use NET take home pay after all payroll taxes and any other related or garnished deductions. also account for OTHER debts being paid (car loan? school loans? whatever)

THEN come up with a multiplier that allows you to sleep at night and ideally will allow you to not have to eat ramen noodles on any regular basis.

Personally... I'd suggest targeting 25% of that net, net income. Then you might be able to actually enjoy your life too.
I'm not willing to argue with you, seeing I'm in the wrong.

I have the proof in late payments to prove it. Darn, I don't want the fees, I just want rent paid on time!

Old 09-16-2016, 09:23 PM

47 posts, read 52,359 times
ChrsTK, not sure what state you live in, I am in Florida and am a former real estate agent specializing in property management. I can tell you that many property managers will absolutely expect 2 to 3 times the amount of rent in income, most times it is 3 times. They also expect good credit ratings. However, that is not to say they all do. Mostly it depends on the state you live in and where in that state. I can't speak for other states, I am in Florida and I did this work for 10 years, and in that time I only ever had to evict may 6 families for non-payment and I did check their credit, however, I then used my own judgement as to whether they would make good tenants. Just because someone has no credit or even has bad credit does not mean they won't pay their rent. People need a roof over their head.

I understand about the no roommate thing. I did that once or twice in my younger years and quickly made the decision that I much prefer my privacy and not having my things gone through when I am not around. Nor do I like providing food for myself and then not having any when I am ready to eat. So that I get.

I would be happy to give you my advice, but would prefer that you send me private message. Reason? Because I believe that sometimes people need help and reach out only to have a response that is then chewed up by others and misunderstandings abound.

It is difficult to understand tone when reading a reply, but I can tell you that I have been where you are as an individual and I understand how you must be feeling. I also went through this with both of my children when it was their time to move on. Things will get better and if I can help you understand or navigate this issue, I am happy to do so.

May God bless you with grace and peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting