Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 12:38 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,350,208 times

Advertisements

I had to do this a couple of times - I preferred houses to apartments while in college, so I always rented a small house, and then found a roommate on my own to occupy the other bedroom - and their names were never on the lease either. It's simpler that way!

If I were you I'd give him 30 days notice - that's how I handled it both times, and they both left right on time! They were never happy about it, but they understood, and since they had 30 days, they had time to find a new place. I think if you were to give him a 3-day or Quit Notice, there's a much greater chance that it will get ugly - But if you give him 30 days, you probably won't run into any problems at all.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 10:07 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,361,013 times
I wonder if, since you know where he is living currently, you couldn't just pack up all his stuff left behind and ship it COD to him. Make the bill whatever he owes you, plus the cost of packing and shipping his stuff.

Of course, if he refuses to pay it, the stuff will come back to you and then you have to deal with it, and probably the sheriff needs to get involved at that point.

*Edit* If its a lot of stuff, this may be cost prohibative, but then again, he might be more interested in actually having it all back and be more likely to pay. You'd be risking your money to do it. Probably a good idea to check your local laws to see if this is legal first, too.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,903 times
my roommate owes me money....so i told him to take it off rent, he agreed....now hes trying to evict me what should i do?
i'm payed up till feb 1st

Last edited by mwb1978; 01-08-2011 at 02:59 PM..

Old 01-09-2011, 08:38 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,440,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwb1978 View Post
my roommate owes me money....so i told him to take it off rent, he agreed....now hes trying to evict me what should i do?
i'm payed up till feb 1st
I'm assuming you mean he's given you notice to leave and hasn't actually gone to court to evict you? If you're on a month to month then he's required to give you 30 days written notice and doesn't have to give you a reason. Your narration is a little difficult to understand.

Old 05-16-2014, 02:57 AM

2 posts, read 1,894 times
I don't know what 2 say. I pay my rent and mind my own. I couldn't be a better roommate... yet the fella I live wth want's me 2 move. It hadn't occurred 2 me to get receipts...every thing I look up talks about bad tenants. I'm a good one. He gave me a dead line, which is fine but for my own preservation can he really just kick me out?

Old 05-16-2014, 03:06 AM

2 posts, read 1,894 times
Answer is unfortunately, even if you live with a friend. Get a receipt. As sad as it may be...document everything. I never wanted to be that type of person...at the end of the day you just want to be able 2 shake hands

Old 05-16-2014, 05:20 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,440,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c2njoy View Post
I don't know what 2 say. I pay my rent and mind my own. I couldn't be a better roommate... yet the fella I live wth want's me 2 move. It hadn't occurred 2 me to get receipts...every thing I look up talks about bad tenants. I'm a good one. He gave me a dead line, which is fine but for my own preservation can he really just kick me out?
As long as he gives you the required notice he doesn't have to give you a reason for asking you to leave. What do "receipts" have to do with it? Is he asking you to leave because he alleges you haven't paid your rent or is he giving you notice "just because" which he's perfectly entitled to do?

Old 11-03-2015, 04:15 AM

1 posts, read 574 times
I have a friend and his girlfriend that moved into to my condo amount 5 months ago. I told them that they can move in and the first month they wouldn't have to pay rent and it only would be temporary. Well its going on the sixth month and they still haven't paid me rent, I gave them a written 30 day notice to move and there still here. He told me that he was not gonna move out, What do I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting