Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 10:40 AM

213 posts, read 520,403 times

Advertisements

It looks like I am going to have to evict my friend/roommate shortly for not paying rent. We live in N.Nevada, can anyone tell me how much time I need to give him to move, or any suggestions on who to call? He is not on the lease.

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 02:46 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,731,195 times
Even if he's not on the lease, he probably falls under month-to-month tenancy laws, which means you have to give him written notice, 30 days in advance. Which means he has 30 days after that notice in order to move. Good luck.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:58 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,507,427 times
yep, AND that written notice must be from a court of law served by a police officer. You cant just kick em out. Thats the law, at least in my state. Good luck.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:03 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,931,075 times
I would have a hard time to work up the balls to tell a roommate I'm evicting them.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:01 AM

213 posts, read 520,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
I would have a hard time to work up the balls to tell a roommate I'm evicting them.
This decision hasnt been easy at all! But, I am trying to separate friend from someone renting a room in my home. We had a discussion on Thursday, this person now knows exactly how I feel. I have been driving myself mad with this. I mean, this person is a friend. However, business is business, and we are roommates. We both pay the bills, not just one of us.

Thanks for your comments. I will try to find out more local info. Hopefully, the roomy shapes up over the next couple weeks, before it comes to getting served w/eviction papers.

Thanks Again

Old 02-25-2008, 02:20 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,731,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGSD View Post
yep, AND that written notice must be from a court of law served by a police officer. You cant just kick em out. Thats the law, at least in my state. Good luck.
Not necessarily. A certified letter is sufficient in many places. He'd have to check Nevada rental law.

Edit: Never mind...I just re-read what you wrote "...at least in my state." Carry on.

Last edited by RoaminRed; 02-25-2008 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: Bleah...

Old 03-01-2008, 05:55 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,488,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Not necessarily. A certified letter is sufficient in many places. He'd have to check Nevada rental law.

Edit: Never mind...I just re-read what you wrote "...at least in my state." Carry on.
Its why I didn't mention it :P

Usually being served just means it has to be done by an impartial 3rd party. The best bet is to pay a company to do it.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 25,051 times
I have to kick my friend out as well. but he kind of just up and left. he is on the lease. my landlords made me a deal saying that ill only have to pay half the total amount of rent for the remainding of my lease but he will be removed from the lease. no one can get a hold of him but i talked to his mom who i guess he has been staying with in another state, and i told him he is supposed to be gone by jan 31 (this was said while it was still december) now if he never comes and gets his stuff after jan 31 hits...what does that mean? i can keep it or sell it or trash it? or do i have to wait for a certain amount of time for him to get it.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:18 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,629,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonchickfan View Post
It looks like I am going to have to evict my friend/roommate shortly for not paying rent. We live in N.Nevada, can anyone tell me how much time I need to give him to move, or any suggestions on who to call? He is not on the lease.

Thank You
If he hasn't paid rent you don't have to give 30 days notice just give the notice required to evict(if any, ussually "notice to quit" or "notice to pay or quit"). And then file for eviction with the courts, and show up for the trial and follow the procedures in your state for eviction. Don't lock him out, turn of utilities etc.

Here's something to get started.

http://www.westwendovercity.org/pdf/Form%20022.pdf (broken link)

Old 01-09-2010, 12:05 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,837,605 times
No you can't trash or keep his stuff.

First of all, the roommate's agreement is with the LL, not with you, so only the LL can take action against the roommate. That is true for the rent he owes, for his belongings, and the condition in which he left the apartment.

Second, the roommate's departure does not constitute abandonment of their belongings. Only a court can establish such abandonment, and the possession of those belongings then passes to the state, not the LL and certainly not another tenant. The state will oversee the removal and disposal of those belongings, usually through the county sheriff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting