Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 03:13 PM

302 posts, read 452,843 times

Advertisements

Hello CD,

I need your assistance. So I have been living in my apartment complex in SoCal for over a year. When I first rented it, it was under a different management company who then sold it to the current one. The current one did not provide us with an updated lease agreement. Our lease ended up expiring in August and we've been month to month.

I am moving out of state next month and notified my property management group last night that I would be leaving. I gave the 30 day notice which was agreed upon in the last lease that I signed. I haven't received word back.

This morning, I receive what looks like a ticket on my vehicle. It ends up being a "Warning: Parking Violation" written up as a ticket. It's due to my expired out of state plates. It threatens to update my registration by this Saturday at 12:00PM or risk being towed at my expense for not conforming to the parking rules (I'm guessing of the complex).

Well, it's Wednesday now, and you are only allowed to change your plates at the DMV M-F. In addition to this, our current lease agreement has no such stipulation or parking rules outlined other than making sure you parked in your assign spot or garage spot. Nothing stating registration has to be up to date or anything of the like. No one else has received this "warning" either. I wonder if they would have gone peeking inside my garage while I'm not home to give me this warning.

I haven't been able to find anything this in the CA Tenant Laws. Anyone have advice on how to address this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 03:16 PM

45,329 posts, read 60,500,026 times
I can't speak specifically to California but most complexes I'm aware of here require car registration to be current to be legally parked. That probably mirrors state law on parking cars with expired tags on public streets being usually illegal.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:30 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
So counting today you have three days to rectify the situation....so make plans to get this done or they will tow your car.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:54 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,805,291 times
I'm usually not so much of a B... but seriously, what do you expect if you have expired plates, out of state or not? Like Kim said, you have three days to correct the issue. Just do it and stop looking for a loophole out of it.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:59 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Most complexes require current tags.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
So counting today you have three days to rectify the situation....so make plans to get this done or they will tow your car.
Actually 2. I was only notified by my neighbor that he noticed something on my car. The item is timestamped 12:00PM. In addition to this, it is not outlined in my lease agreement, nor was ever enforced or spoken of before. Lastly, the neighbor who happened to notify me also has expired out of state tags (his are from Nebraska and are dated May 2013). In fact, almost all of my neighbors (6 out of 10) have expired out of state tags. I guess that's my biggest issue with it. The guy who parks directly in front of me has had dealer plates for the past 6 months. Prior to that, he had no plates on his car (in Cali, expired plates are no big deal. You don't get pulled over for it. At most, if you're pulled over for something else and are acting mean to the police, they'll give you a fix-it ticket. Not tow your car.)

My complex is sort of a landing spot for those moving to the area from out of state.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:43 PM

4,510 posts, read 5,048,411 times
Didn't you tell the management company that you're special ? And that the rules don't apply to you only to everybody else and doggone it, why are they picking on you, and it's not right, and you're gonna ask on CD for everyone's assistance because, well, just because you don't want to abide by the rules. It's not fair.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:45 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,053,067 times
I think it's CA landlord tenant law that car registration has to be up to date. You will have to do your own research on that one. If that is the case it does not have to be in the lease because it's a state law. Sounds like they are cracking down on residents one by one. Don't blame them. Some people don't register their car so they can commit insurance fraud. I hope that's not what you are doing.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:51 PM

4,515 posts, read 2,520,191 times
Who cares if the other ones have expired plates? YOU got caught. You were given notice, so fix it. Dealer plate may be legal, if the car belongs to a dealership, and the person works there and is given a demo.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
I think it's CA landlord tenant law that car registration has to be up to date. You will have to do your own research on that one. If that is the case it does not have to be in the lease because it's a state law. Sounds like they are cracking down on residents one by one. Don't blame them. Some people don't register their car so they can commit insurance fraud. I hope that's not what you are doing.
Not at all. I'm actually going back to where I'm from. In addition to that, I've only had my car here for a few months and don't drive it. I take the train.

Either which way, my main question is whether or not this was CA tenant law or whether there was recourse. Thank you Ms_Christina for answering my question.

Everybody else, stop being such snarks. People are coming here for information, not to be judged. And if you are going to judge, the least you can do is answer the questions posed. I see way too much of this on CD. Everyone's a critique and no one likes to actually be helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting