Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 09:01 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,757,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
well if your lease ends around Thanksgiving then u should receive it the last week of October.
That's what I was thinking too. But I'm curious to know what happens if my property manager issues the renewal 20 or 15 days before the end of my lease and the lease terms or renewal amount is not favorable? I guess I'd just issue the 30 day notice to vacate at that time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 09:08 AM

Update: not really much of an update. I did send another email to my property manager on October 5 saying I would like to sign a one year lease. However, upon looking over my current lease, all it says is that at the end of my lease I can either continue living there on a month-to-month or vacate with the 30 day notice given. What I'm wondering is, if the landlord doesn't offer a new lease and wants a month-to-month, will my rent stay the same or will it increase due to the month-to-month? Every lease I have signed, except this one, stated that after the lease expires, I can stay there on a month-to-month basis but my rent will increase 25%. My current lease says absolutely nothing about an increase in rent while doing a month-to-month. I really hate having non-communicative landlords/PM's.

Old 10-08-2016, 09:13 AM

525 posts, read 659,854 times
It really depends on the LL/PM. My last couple of places I lived as a renter, the lease expired and we went month to month without an increase in rent. Some LL/PM prefer a good tenant over looking for a new tenant for the increased price. You are somewhat at their mercy, but depending on whether you are looking for a single family or apartment, you can probably find a new place pretty quickly if they do increase the rent beyond what you feel comfortable with.

Old 10-08-2016, 09:36 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
......... What I'm wondering is, if the landlord doesn't offer a new lease and wants a month-to-month, will my rent stay the same or will it increase due to the month-to-month?.........
Want me to get out my Tarot cards and find out for you?

The only one who knows is your landlord.

Some, actually many, landlords like to let the lease slide into month to month without notice because they don't want the tenants to think about moving. The end of the lease comes and goes and the tenant doesn't notice and just continues to send in the rent check every month. Otherwise, when notices go out and rent is increased, the tenant goes through a decision process about whether to stay or go.

If you live in an area where rents are going up rapidly and there is a housing shortage, you are likely to get a rent increase with a new lease or with month to month. If you are a difficult tenant, you are very likely to get a rent increase. If the landlord wants to keep you and rents haven't gone up in the general area, the landlord is more likely to just maintain the status quo. However, those are all generalizations and might not apply in your individual case.

Old 10-08-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolaireSolstice View Post
It really depends on the LL/PM. My last couple of places I lived as a renter, the lease expired and we went month to month without an increase in rent. Some LL/PM prefer a good tenant over looking for a new tenant for the increased price. You are somewhat at their mercy, but depending on whether you are looking for a single family or apartment, you can probably find a new place pretty quickly if they do increase the rent beyond what you feel comfortable with.
We have been saving up money so we won't be burdened there. Unfortunately, trying to find a proper rental house is hit and miss sometimes. Before we moved into my current rental house, it took us nearly a month and a half to find our place.

Old 10-08-2016, 10:01 AM

1,193 posts, read 1,025,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Some, actually many, landlords like to let the lease slide into month to month without notice because they don't want the tenants to think about moving. The end of the lease comes and goes and the tenant doesn't notice and just continues to send in the rent check every month. Otherwise, when notices go out and rent is increased, the tenant goes through a decision process about whether to stay or go.

If you live in an area where rents are going up rapidly and there is a housing shortage, you are likely to get a rent increase with a new lease or with month to month. If you are a difficult tenant, you are very likely to get a rent increase. If the landlord wants to keep you and rents haven't gone up in the general area, the landlord is more likely to just maintain the status quo. However, those are all generalizations and might not apply in your individual case.
I always thought difficult didn't have the option to renew instead of a new lease with a rent increase.

Old 10-08-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

I know that in my area, rents are kinda all over the place. I've been able to find houses that are comparable in price to what I'm paying now. I do know that in the three years I've lived here, we have always paid rent at least a week early each month. We don't bother the property manager unless there is a major repair or a sign of an issue that could potentially become a major repair.

Old 10-08-2016, 11:35 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,487 times
Default well...

You know, it all depends on the LL plans to either raise the rent or not. Read the laws. We are given 90 days (or more) notice with three options... month to month / six month / year lease. Monies vary, of course, depending on duration of lease chosen.
Koale

Old 10-08-2016, 11:40 AM

1,193 posts, read 1,025,244 times
I get nervous around lease renewal time every year but atleast this year I take comfort in the fact that my apt building won't be sold

Old 10-08-2016, 12:02 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,698,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Update: not really much of an update. I did send another email to my property manager on October 5 saying I would like to sign a one year lease. However, upon looking over my current lease, all it says is that at the end of my lease I can either continue living there on a month-to-month or vacate with the 30 day notice given. What I'm wondering is, if the landlord doesn't offer a new lease and wants a month-to-month, will my rent stay the same or will it increase due to the month-to-month? Every lease I have signed, except this one, stated that after the lease expires, I can stay there on a month-to-month basis but my rent will increase 25%. My current lease says absolutely nothing about an increase in rent while doing a month-to-month. I really hate having non-communicative landlords/PM's.
No one knows until they do notify you, if they even do. However, if they do increase the rent they will have to give you a minimum of 30 day's notice to do so with a MTM. But also note that with a MTM they can also raise it now any months that they want to with just a 30 day notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting