Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 09:31 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Because it is not the landlord's job to provide nice housing to people who can not afford to pay the rent. If it is difficult for you to come up with application fees, ask what the requirements are to be approved before you pay the fee. If a landlord requires 3 times the rent, and you do not have that much income, don't apply and save your application fee.

It appears that you have been applying for places you can't afford.
Try looking at places where the rent is lower. Take your income and divide that amount by three and that will tell you what price range you should be looking for.

You are in NO POSITION to determine what I can afford. You are in a position only to - perhaps misguidedly - employ your own biases to determine the level of risk you perceive and are willing to accept. For the past 15 years I have consistently and timely paid 40 to 70 percent of my income on rent. I know what rent I can afford to pay because I have a history of paying it timely, and I resent the casual, unthinking determinations of others that I can or cannot afford something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 09:34 AM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Um...BECAUSE THEY CAN.

Landlords just wanna make money.
Of course they do. I don't know anyone who went into the rental business so they could make sure other people could have nice, cheap rental property. They may end up providing that but it wasn't the reason they took the risk of sinking their own assets into it.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Of course they do. I don't know anyone who went into the rental business so they could make sure other people could have nice, cheap rental property. They may end up providing that but it wasn't the reason they took the risk of sinking their own assets into it.

Actually, landlords in aggregate have a variety of motivations, goals, and exit strategies - not all of which involve maximizing cash flow.

e.g. For more than 10 years I had a below-market deal on the upstairs of a house. The house was owned by a retired teacher who had lived in the house for decades. When she retired, she moved to a nearby (20 miles) rural community and converted the house into two units which she then rented below market to stable long-term tenants. Her goal and exit strategy was to own (as close as possible to) a turnkey property she could leave to her children with a stepped-up tax basis and thus a huge untaxed capital gain.

Maximizing cash flow was what the other landlords in town did, but they were the hands-on type and she preferred to enjoy her retirement rather than deal with more hassle than necessary.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:57 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnice59 View Post
With times being hard for peoples on a fix income why are landlord's asking for app. Fees & then you get a letter saying you where not approve . Why are they telling people's you need to make 3* the rent when you are on a fix income.
Have you applied for any sort of housing assistance programs? you may qualify. Call 211 and ask what agencies in your area handle low income housing. The volunteers on 211 will be able to give you the names of the agencies and their phone numbers and addresses. Good luck to you.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:23 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
What if I want to avoid Section 8 landlords? Shouldn't the same list be available to me?
In Oakland the list is available to all...

As to falling rents... posted many times my teacher and my uncle both received nice rent reductions after Prop 13 adjusted tax bills came out.

So there are at least two housing providers that lowered rent in the SF Bay Area.

We also have strict rent control with several measures and emergency actions implemented or on the ballot.

There is no Freemkt when it comes to many units in the SF Bay Area.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:25 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,233,336 times
Quote:
Actually, landlords in aggregate have a variety of motivations, goals, and exit strategies - not all of which involve maximizing cash flow.

e.g. For more than 10 years I had a below-market deal on the upstairs of a house. The house was owned by a retired teacher who had lived in the house for decades. When she retired, she moved to a nearby (20 miles) rural community and converted the house into two units which she then rented below market to stable long-term tenants. Her goal and exit strategy was to own (as close as possible to) a turnkey property she could leave to her children with a stepped-up tax basis and thus a huge untaxed capital gain.

Maximizing cash flow was what the other landlords in town did, but they were the hands-on type and she preferred to enjoy her retirement rather than deal with more hassle than necessary.
So her goal was to make money for her heirs thus proving exactly what Oldhag1 said, what are you arguing with exactly? I don't know why you added in "cash flow" other than to try to prove your point but Oldhag1 didn't say anything about that.

Your crazy ramblings are another reason LLs add rent to income requirements; to avoid people like you.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:04 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Screw that. How come when taxes FALL (several huge prop tax cuts including Prop 13) rents don't fall.

Landlords have been completely discredited and are unworthy of trust on this issue.

As for rent and your mortgage payment....apples and oranges. Your mortgage lender doesn't come knocking when your mortgage payment is five days delinquent. Umpteen gazillion homeowners have lived in their defaulted homes for free months or years after the mortgage payments stopped. With rent you're out in a few weeks.
Uh, taxes rarely, if EVER, fall. Prop 13 didn't cause any taxes to be cut.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Uh, taxes rarely, if EVER, fall. Prop 13 didn't cause any taxes to be cut.

On June 6th, 1978, nearly two-thirds of California's voters passed Proposition 13, reducing property tax rates on homes, businesses and farms by about 57%. Prior to Proposition 13, the property tax rate throughout California averaged a little less than 3% of market value.

http://www.californiataxdata.com/pdf/Prop13.pdf

Old 10-27-2016, 01:59 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times
Quote:
On June 6th, 1978, nearly two-thirds of California's voters passed Proposition 13, reducing property tax rates on homes, businesses and farms by about 57%. Prior to Proposition 13, the property tax rate throughout California averaged a little less than 3% of market value.

http://www.californiataxdata.com/pdf/Prop13.pdf
i'LL SUM IT UP FOR YOU FREEMKT:

You lost. Repetitive posting is never going to make you better. It's really curious what you hope to accomplish by your 27,000+++ posts with no rational response whatsoever to any suggestions.

Last edited by elhelmete; 10-27-2016 at 02:25 PM..

Old 10-27-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
i'LL SUM IT UP FOR YOU FREEMKT:

You lost. Repetitive posting is never going to make you better. It's really curious what you hope to accomplish by your 27,000+++ posts with no rational response whatsoever to any suggestions.

If I lost, who won?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting