Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 12:11 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,702,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscas View Post
I need to leave my house and his guest will be staying all alone, do I have any rights to this? Im kmow nothing about this person and don't feel comfortable having a complete stranger alone in my house, it's not like it's his wife or someone he introduced to us. Once I had a conversation with him and it came up that he had no girlfriend, probably now he does but it's new. wha do I do? stay home and not do what I have to do?
Oh good grief! ASK her to leave. Tell her she can not be there without him there. And then tell the tenant that you do not allow him to have guests there when he is not there with them. Then lay down some laws about having guests there but be reasonable. This is no one's problem but your own for not have a written and signed lease with your rules and regulations laid out in black and white.

And give him his 30 day notice to vacate the end of November PRONTO! If you want him to leave earlier then give him some incentive to leave early. It has to be on his terms though because otherwise he has no obligation to leave earlier than the end of November. You can't force him out nor can you do a self-help eviction because it is not legal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 01:13 PM

539 posts, read 566,617 times

Lmao.

Old 10-24-2016, 01:47 PM

666 posts, read 642,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Oh good grief! ASK her to leave. Tell her she can not be there without him there.

And give him his 30 day notice to vacate the end of November PRONTO! If you want him to leave earlier then give him some incentive to leave early. It has to be on his terms though because otherwise he has no obligation to leave earlier than the end of November. You can't force him out nor can you do a self-help eviction because it is not legal.

This, and please do not continue to rent out your rooms. You are clearly not cut out for it, and seemed to think you'd be able to find people to help pay your bills who wouldn't actually be there or be using the property. That isn't how it works.

Old 10-24-2016, 03:17 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moscas View Post
..........He didn't even pay us rent how he was supposed to yesterday. Is there a way to make him leave sooner than 30 days?
If he does not pay the rent, you can evict him. You must give proper legal notices and take him to court. Since I get the impression that you are not really understanding the advice you are receiving, you need to hire a lawyer to do the eviction for you.

You need to speak to a lawyer, anyway, because you live where there is rent control so general advice does not apply in your situation.

Get a lawyer.

Old 10-24-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If he does not pay the rent, you can evict him. You must give proper legal notices and take him to court. Since I get the impression that you are not really understanding the advice you are receiving, you need to hire a lawyer to do the eviction for you.

You need to speak to a lawyer, anyway, because you live where there is rent control so general advice does not apply in your situation.

Get a lawyer.
Just for clarification, only certain cities in CA have rent control:
Berkeley
Beverly Hills
Campbell
East Palo Alto
Fremont
Hayward
Los Angeles
Los Gatos
Oakland
Palm Springs
San Francisco
San Jose
Santa Monica
Thousand Oaks
West Hollywood
Landlord/Tenant Book - California Department of Consumer Affairs

Per the OPs profile they are in zip 91335 which is Reseda, CA so there is no rent control, thankfully! The OP has enough problems as it is.

And OP, the best most factual and spot-on advise you are going to get here is to never rent to anyone again UNTIL and UNLESS you research thoroughly what you are doing and can do. And yes, if he hasn't paid rent then get a lawyer to help you evict because it has to be done right or not at all. Otherwise, just give him a letter now stating he has 30 days to vacate on or before November 30th. If you do the non-renewal you don't need a lawyer for that. If you want him out earlier (without getting a lawyer to help you evict) then you have to offer some mutually agreed upon incentive to get him to leave and if you go this route make sure to get it all in writing and signed by both of you.

Old 10-24-2016, 03:54 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,053,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Just for clarification, only certain cities in CA have rent control:
Berkeley
Beverly Hills
Campbell
East Palo Alto
Fremont
Hayward
Los Angeles
Los Gatos
Oakland
Palm Springs
San Francisco
San Jose
Santa Monica
Thousand Oaks
West Hollywood
Landlord/Tenant Book - California Department of Consumer Affairs

Per the OPs profile they are in zip 91335 which is Reseda, CA so there is no rent control, thankfully! The OP has enough problems as it is.
Reseda = City of Los Angeles

Old 10-24-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Reseda = City of Los Angeles
Oh, okay then. Well then the OP does have more problems than we thought

Old 10-27-2016, 08:34 AM

75 posts, read 60,074 times
I agree this others, who offered you to ask advice from real estate lawyer.
As far as I know, it's easy for a landlord to end a month-to-month tenancy.
As for notice, thirty days is typical, but you have to check your state law for the specific notice requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting