Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 10:36 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
And in order to be an actual legal ESA they have to be prescribed by a mental health professional so yes, they are in the same category as a prescribed medical device. ESAs and/or SAs are not pets, they are solely meant for physical or psychological disorders prescribed only by health care professionals. This is exactly why LLs need to do their due diligence and get with the program and learn the laws in order to qualify tenants properly who have ESAs and SAs.
a mental health professional can't prescribe a wheelchair or a pair of crutches - both are "medical devices" - your comparison is without a basis in law. While I'd agree that a medical doctor could "prescribe" a support animal, doing so would be outside their training, essentially no different than an auto mechanic diagnosing a problem with your dishwasher. They might get it right, they might get it wrong, they don't (by virtue of their required training) necessarily have any expertise in the area they're prescribing for.

The reason I'm pointing out the fallacy of your argument is because it's not actually based on "the law" - nor is the "value" of a "support animal" based on scientific facts or serious study. It's a "meh, can't really *hurt* anything" prescription, not based on actual "medical need", but based on pseudo-science & anecdote. Your medical doctor won't prescribe an unnecessary medical device because he/she can lose their license for doing so. If therapists were held to the *same* standards, they wouldn't be "prescribing" nearly as many "support animals" as they currently are.

Your argument equates actual medical need with "meh, the patient wants it, and it prolly won't hurt them", then chastizes those who dare point out the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 12:53 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
(2nd paragraph)

Why don't those people who feel they need support animal just rent at places that allows animals ?
If you have a service/emotional support animal, it is not considered a pet, and you don't have to pay a pet deposit.

So, it's not just about renting where it's okay to have a pet. Plus, the service animal may be larger than the allowed size by the landlord, and if legit and meets the standards, the landlord must accept the animal anyway.

So, it's not just about finding a place that allows animals.

On the other nonsense, your arguments are not reasonable. The law says that service animals are to be considered medical necessities, akin to a wheelchair or the need for hand rails or any other device a disabled person might need, in order to live in a rental with their disability.

You just apparently don't like that, and disagree with that. And that's fine. But, you're not understanding the law.

You might find this document on the laws helpful:

http://www.disabilityrightsca.org/pubs/548301.pdf

Old 10-25-2016, 04:44 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
The new thing is emotional support animals,

Old 10-25-2016, 10:33 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
The new thing is emotional support animals,
hahahaha NOT When I was training my shelties for showing on Obedience. The Trainer had a class for ESD... that was wayyyyy back in 1995! People would get these dogs ALL sizes All Mixes form the pound/HS & they would contact her to help train them. The ones I seen in class [mostly] Were folks with Downs. It was great to see how those dogs & Handlers inter act. From Wild FurKids to loving & changing the life of people with Mental problems. The rest of the class were Artistic kids. I actually got to watch a dog that the family rescued Stop that child from beating his head on the Floor! There IS a need! But the Rules NEED to change to Stop the Scammers!

Old 10-25-2016, 10:14 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
hahahaha NOT When I was training my shelties for showing on Obedience. The Trainer had a class for ESD... that was wayyyyy back in 1995! People would get these dogs ALL sizes All Mixes form the pound/HS & they would contact her to help train them. The ones I seen in class [mostly] Were folks with Downs. It was great to see how those dogs & Handlers inter act. From Wild FurKids to loving & changing the life of people with Mental problems. The rest of the class were Artistic kids. I actually got to watch a dog that the family rescued Stop that child from beating his head on the Floor! There IS a need! But the Rules NEED to change to Stop the Scammers!
Fantastic post! I recently met a vet who has a service dog because he has PTSD. His dog is a golden retriever or lab, if I recall correctly. He can start to panic in a crowd, and his dog, which happens to be female, will get between him and other people.

And she (his dog) gives him love and gives him something to take care of and love, and helps to keep him from considering suicide, because he would worry about what would happen to his dog.

So, yes, some try to take advantage, and that's something that can make people angry and I don't blame them. But, landlords just need to learn the laws so they won't get taken advantage of.

it's really deplorable how many landlords don't take the time to learn the laws that govern their business. And in the scheme of things, there aren't very many laws they have to learn.

Old 10-26-2016, 01:40 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
As a Vet & going to the VA I see Lots of PTSD dogs. They really are amazing. There is a training place in Northern Virginia that Trains dogs Rescued from local Pounds. I ran into her at a Veterinarian Clinic I believe she & I were the only ones getting dogs Health Checks... to make sure they were healthy CERF OFA & Others tests. I had Lady-Bug there for her check ups. She had about a dozen dogs!! This was about 4-5 years ago. She was from here... Veterans Moving Forward - Provide service dogs to veterans with physical and mental health challenges Looks like they using more purebreds now.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:55 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
it's really deplorable how many landlords don't take the time to learn the laws that govern their business. And in the scheme of things, there aren't very many laws they have to learn.
Worst yet is when they don't even know what's in the lease they give their tenants. The law says "A", the courts say "A", the lease says "A", the guide the state put's out says "A", the websites for landlord organizations says "A", the landlord attorneys say "A", yet the landlord interprets this all to be "N" because that's what they want it to be.

We all know that landlords are not always on the same page about law interpretation and the application of those laws (heaven knows this forum is a good example) but when they clearly didn't even read the law to know what it's about, that's when discussion like the FHAA goes all heathen on us. At least most of the time we are arguing among ourselves if it's "A" or "a" or maybe "aye" or even "eyh" but some (this topic is an example) are arguing "cooking instruction for cranberry mango salsa"

Old 10-26-2016, 07:25 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Worst yet is when they don't even know what's in the lease they give their tenants. The law says "A", the courts say "A", the lease says "A", the guide the state put's out says "A", the websites for landlord organizations says "A", the landlord attorneys say "A", yet the landlord interprets this all to be "N" because that's what they want it to be.

We all know that landlords are not always on the same page about law interpretation and the application of those laws (heaven knows this forum is a good example) but when they clearly didn't even read the law to know what it's about, that's when discussion like the FHAA goes all heathen on us. At least most of the time we are arguing among ourselves if it's "A" or "a" or maybe "aye" or even "eyh" but some (this topic is an example) are arguing "cooking instruction for cranberry mango salsa"
Everyone bows at your feet due to the superior knowledge only you are able to read, wise one.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:26 PM

539 posts, read 566,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Everyone bows at your feet due to the superior knowledge only you are able to read, wise one.
Rabrrita has fantastic advice, almost always.

You would do well to listen. I don't agree with the esa laws, but guess what they're LAWS. You are committing a crime if you don't follow them. You can have an opinion all you like, and I'm supportive of that, but you cannot tell someone who's telling you the law they're wrong. Commit crimes all you like but PLEASE don't post inaccurate ADVICE to people who don't know the laws.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:43 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,688,085 times
Yes it has gotten out of control. https://www.nsarco.com/emotional-support-animal.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting