Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 06:43 PM

7,036 posts, read 6,287,208 times

Advertisements

AZ, you made me laugh. I hope he takes you up on it.

I still think the only way to get ahead is to be frugal & put x number of dollars in savings and investments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2016, 07:08 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,699,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
I've got an old droid razr and it's charger that is still in very good condition I will send you for free, I will even pay the shipping on it. It is way more than capable of taking pictures and even posting things on eBay and isn't damaged in the slightest. In Feb I will send you this droid turbo I'm typing on right now too. Both phones can easily connect to McDonald's wifi, if you don't have home wifi, without signing up with a cell phone carrier. All I need is a name and address and they are yours.

What's your excuse now?
I am sure his excuse will be that you would then have his home address and he will forbid to provide that. If so, then he could either get a P.O. box number but because that costs money then he could easily have the package sent to a friend's address. So he literally has no excuse.

Otherwise, he would be totally insane NOT to take that generous offer.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:40 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
(Shrug), I live part time where there is no mail delivery and if I need something I just have it mailed to my address and then I go down to the post office where they will hold it for 30 days. I do not have a post office box.

It could be mailed to general dilivery with his name and the post office zip code, labeled general delivery amd all he has to do is go up to the counter and ask for it and they will give it to him.

Old 11-28-2016, 03:28 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
(Shrug), I live part time where there is no mail delivery and if I need something I just have it mailed to my address and then I go down to the post office where they will hold it for 30 days. I do not have a post office box.

It could be mailed to general dilivery with his name and the post office zip code, labeled general delivery amd all he has to do is go up to the counter and ask for it and they will give it to him.
That's how it is at our part time home as well. We don't have mail delivery anywhere on the island..fedex does deliver to your door but the post office does not. We have a 'box' at the post office as well, but they are located behind the counter and you must ask for your mail. Never had a issue getting mail from them...even international mail.

Old 11-29-2016, 01:09 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
I remember going to the Post Office to pick up General Delivery mail for my Grandmother... it was kind of a ritual when going to town... I could and did ride a bike to the post office and would stop for a ice cream bar on the way...

The mail always made it...

I bought an old car and the California Pink Slip had General Delivery as the address of the person that sold it to me.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:44 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,729,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by generalswife View Post
I found out my dirtbag former (evicted) tenants used her boyfriend as a LL reference. My previous (fired) PM placed her.
I won't even call a reference. It's not necessary, the credit report and paystubs/tax returns will give you the real story.

Even the most honest reference check is a biased opinion. IMO it's worthless.

Glad you fired the PM. A real pro doesn't make amatuer mistakes.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:13 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
I never even look at references unless they are from the current landlord. Same for personal references. I'm sure Charles Manson could come up with believable personal references. Too bad Sharon Tate is dead or he'd list her too. Anyway he has permanent tenancy in a government housing project.

I look at their credit FICO, credit history, definitely past evictions (any = deny tenancy), criminal history, and general perspective of credit trades.

I also look for a 3:1 ratio gross income to rental price.

And job history stability.

And whether they own attack dogs. Sorry.

I don't want to advertise any credit agency but I believe TransUnion owns this agency I use: my smart move .com

Old 12-14-2016, 11:26 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
........I'm sure Charles Manson could come up with believable personal references. ..........
Perhaps, but I never rent to anyone with a swastika carved onto his face, so he couldn't get in, no matter how clever he was about faking his references.

On the flip side for Charles Manson, he is rumored to be very charming and charismatic when he decides to be, so he could probably get into a rental with one of those landlords who don't check references and go with their gut feeling about applicants.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:17 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,729,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I'm sure Charles Manson could come up with believable personal references.
Yeah, he could have his new wife give a glowing review.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:54 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
I won't even call a reference. It's not necessary, the credit report and paystubs/tax returns will give you the real story.

Even the most honest reference check is a biased opinion. IMO it's worthless.

Glad you fired the PM. A real pro doesn't make amatuer mistakes.

??? So if someone has two 15 year old money judgments (neither involving a rental or landlord) and nothing else on the credit report, that and paystubs/tax returns give you the real story? Does it tell you whether an applicant pays the rent on time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting