Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 09:59 PM

403 posts, read 557,084 times

Advertisements

I found a job in a new city and would like to move closer to my job. My credit situation has changed quite a bit since I last looked for a place to live. I got laid off from a previous job and while I was out of work, I ran into some trouble with my credit cards. I've had 2 cards charged off. I haven't been sued and I'm actually working with the companies to pay off the balances. I haven't had any issues with rent though because I've always prioritized making sure that I had a place to live. How much of a problem, if any, will the charge offs be? Will a landlord even care since I have a good rental record?

I'm going to do as much as I can to pay off as much of the balances as possible before I move, or attempt to move, but I doubt I can get them completely paid off. If the credit cards will be an issue, what can I do to make renting easier for me? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 10:26 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,232,302 times
As a private LL it would worry me. What actually hurts you from my perspective is someone else without the issues.

If you did default on those repayment plans and get sued over it your wages can be garnished which is my main concern with it.

Old 11-13-2016, 07:21 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,335,862 times
As a Landlord, I always simply go by the credit rating and also look at the history on the credit record. In general I decline anyone with lower than a 650 score.

However, my brother is a Landlord and he just requires 2 months' security deposit for those with low credit ratings and puts them on a month-to-month lease.

Very few seasoned landlords are interested in the reasons the credit score is weak. The score demonstrates the applicant's resources available to pay his or her bills. An applicant with thin resources -- for whatever reasons -- represents more risk for the landlord.

Old 11-13-2016, 07:36 AM

106,557 posts, read 108,696,306 times
we are pretty strict about not getting involved with tenants who show either an inability to pay their bills or lack of want to pay their bills based on their credit reports .

doing a month to month would be meaningless if it ends up leading to an eviction because they don't pay and don't leave .

it is bad enough when you start with tenants with good credit scores and one of the big three get them - DIVORCE-ILLNESS-JOB LOSS and their problems become your problems . taking someone who already demonstrated either an inability to pay or lack of want to pay is not something we do .

Old 11-13-2016, 09:37 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,744,120 times
Normally they go by credit score, they don't read the whole report. If you have bad credit why would they bother to look at the report?

Old 11-13-2016, 10:28 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
A lot depends upon the vacancy rate. If landlords have lots of applicants, they can be picky about who they accept. If apartments are sitting vacant, landlords might possibly lower their standards.

I don't like to see charge-offs on a credit report. It is less bad if those debts were paid off.

Landlord references mean a lot. Employer references can mean a lot.

New job, moving to a new city, bad credit, you have a lot of strikes against you. You might have to apply to several places before you find someone to accept you.

There are a lot of applicants out there who are even less qualified than you are. There are applicants out there who are much better qualified than you are. But I suspect that some landlord will take you. Maybe not the landlord with nice place in excellent repair, but someone will take you.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:59 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,212,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Landlord references mean a lot. Employer references can mean a lot.
I am totally out of the land lord business now. One of my least favorite tenants got a glowing reference from her prior land lord. Turned out she had given me her Mother's phone number.

Old 11-13-2016, 01:19 PM

403 posts, read 557,084 times
Thanks everybody. It may not make a much of a difference, but one of the places I will probably be considering isn't a highly sought after property. It is older, but still looks decent on the outside. I don't know about the apartments yet, but that's why I'd be looking at it anyway. The current rents being advertised are $100-150 less than what I'm paying right now, but when you also factor in the gas I'd be spending to commute back and forth, I'd save about $300 a month. In good weather at the new place, if I get in, I could even walk or ride my bike to work. On top of that, I'll make roughly $200 more a week.

Are there things that I could do to make myself a more attractive applicant?

Also, longneckone, that sucks. I know a few people that have done that and it astounds me. Not only are they essentially deceiving the landlord, but they are really only hurting themselves.

Last edited by mdlee3_46041; 11-13-2016 at 01:43 PM..

Old 11-13-2016, 01:26 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
I am totally out of the land lord business now. One of my least favorite tenants got a glowing reference from her prior land lord. Turned out she had given me her Mother's phone number.
Pretty close to 1/3 of my applicants give me a false landlord reference. You have to screen with that in mind.

Old 11-13-2016, 07:27 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,579,296 times
Being up front and honest about it is a big plus.

I don't even look at the credit score. I look at the credit history. Was it good before you got laid off - that shows financial discipline. The fact that you are getting caught up will show on the credit and is a big plus.

I look at 3 things: verification of income, landlord references, and credit report. If 2 out of 3 are good I give leeway on the 3rd. But no professional deadbeats of course. Zero tolerance for liars.

Giving the wrong landlord is a well known ploy. A credit report will show previous residences and that helps a lot, especially if local. If need be drop the LL a postcard to the address you get from the tax department. Google the apartment complex for phone numbers. Also a lot of old school landlords have land lines so old phone directories come in handy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting