Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 08:52 PM

7 posts, read 7,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Curious where in the midwest you see KKK flags from the road?
I was a little surprised too because I have never seen anything like that before this visit but it was about 10-15 mins from Indianapolis International Airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 08:54 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,698,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whattodonow123 View Post
Thank you for replying me, the only reason why I decided to talk to her was because she was almost naked when he opened the door(braless and half of the shirt was off, not put together, might be on drugs), my boyfriend was afraid that she might accuse him of assault or battery...

Then have him grab his phone next time before answering the door and record the whole thing and take pics or video if needed so you have proof. Also, have your boyfriend inform the LLs of how she appeared as well and that you don't need her coming to the door dressed inappropriately and try to claim anything.

he lives in the MIDWEST where you can see KKK flags on the road

What state? I live in the Midwest and I have never seen any KKK flags anywhere, ever.

However, I do think that I have the right to say something, because being invited to someone's apartment I would be an invitee of the apartment and thus has a right when someone is standing between the owner's door and screaming/harassing at me directly before I said anything.

You would be wrong again. You should not be anywhere near the door or even answering it for that matter especially now that you are both aware of who it may be and what may happen. If your bf can't answer the door then no one should. If he chooses to not answer the door that is his choice as well. There are many times I choose not to answer my door if someone knocks unannounced. But if you choose to do so, please let us know how that works out for you. I doubt it will end up a positive experience. Your bf is the one on the lease, period. You are a guest and only a guest, period.

see in blue above.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:02 PM

7 posts, read 7,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
see in blue above.
Thanks, he didn't know she was that crazy before he opened the door today, but I will make sure to let him know. I am a guest but at the same I am a human being, if she yelled at me without me saying anything, it is quite reasonable for me to say something back, regardless of whos right, more likely, you are, I will make sure not to say anything next time.

The flag, was seen around 10-15mins away from Indianapolis International Airport, about 5 days-ish ago. And don't get me wrong people in the Mid-west are very nice, at least from my personal experience for the past 7 years.

Last edited by whattodonow123; 11-29-2016 at 09:12 PM..

Old 11-30-2016, 11:20 AM

32,629 posts, read 47,964,911 times
I will repeat: you are not on the lease, it is not your apartment, stay out of it.

I would try to convince the boyfriend to never answer the door when she is there. There is no law that says the door knocks must be answered.

Your boyfriend might write a letter to management complaining about her pounding on the ceiling and coming to your door using bad language and trying to force her way in. With that much, they can't evict her, but they might put her on the "do not renew" list. It also diffuses her complaints to a certain extent.

She is a person who should not be living in an apartment, because apartments are noisy and noise makes her crazy. But there is nothing you can do about her noise issues. Be polite about living noise, but do not stop moving around. Don't stomp, don't slam doors, move the headboard of the bed away from the wall, and maybe wear slippers in the house. Other than that, you do not have to adjust your lifestyle to compensate for her crazy.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:54 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,744,120 times
Quote:
I am visiting my boyfriend in another city, staying over for the week. He lives in a very nice looking building but cheaply made. You can hear people walking and pretty much everything that they do. I thought my boyfriend was being over sensitive when he first moved in and I didn't realize it was a serious problem. That his down stairs neighbor pounding the ceiling on the regular basic ( from 3 to 5 times a day and more and more as time goes by) even when he is sitting at his desk or laying on his bed, when is not walking nor standing. Ever since I got here last weekend I realized, my boyfriend was being serious, she would pounding on the ceiling when I'm sitting in the sofa studying. Today, she just exploded and knock on our door. I couldn't let my boyfriend argue with her because I'm afraid she claimed that he scared her or something so I talked to her. BUT YES SHE WAS INSANE just like my boyfriend said, I try to explain to her that, 50% of the time, when she pound on the ceiling, we weren't even moving, she star calling me liar and stuff, and then she laid her back on the door side so I couldn't close the door, so I tried to explain to her again, but she just screamed at me, then I realized she is worthless for me to explain, I told her, call the police if you think we are too loud. She said, people don't call the police for things like this, I told her if she doesn't, I will, if the pounding keep on happening. So I got a little angry and said, you are imagining and crazy. So then, she is saying you cannot just say that, I told her normal people do not do that. then she walked away after yelling at me.

So now I am a little worried, she does not seem like a normal reasonable person and we think she live by herself, I am about to leave in a few days, what if she come up again when my boyfriend is home alone. I am worry that she will attack my boyfriend with a knife or smack his car or something like that.

We try to not walk at all, e.g. when I'm in need of water, I will wait to I really need it then I will get up and get it. same applies to bathroom visits, I will not go unless I MUST have to go. We do not weight as much either. We have upstairs too, I think the noise is manageable for most people's sensibilities.

To be honest, I don't feel safe, because whenever she starts the pounding, today my body starts to shake from anxiety. Last night, I hear her dog barking and crying-ish( like being beaten) I feel like she was hitting her dog, that why I think she might be a violent person. I think she is about same age as my boyfriend and I(25-ish.)

SO WHAT SHOULD WE DO?
Just live your life, don't worry about the noise, if she starts pounding on her ceiling call the cops. Tell them she needs mental cleansing. Call your landlord and move, also have a knife by the door just in case she comes back or in your pocket.

Usually crazy people are harmless. I had a crazy man live upstairs from me for 13 years he would play this awful music 24/7, The cops got him to lower it, he would just glare at me like a lunatic when he saw me outside I just ignored him.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:37 PM

525 posts, read 659,854 times
You are calling it a KKK flag, do you mean Confederate flag? Just curious.

Secondly, don't engage this person. Some people thrive on conflict. Some people need to not be living on ground floor apartments.

Ignore her and live normally. You know you are doing nothing wrong (you aren't bowling or something right?). So ignore her. If she continues, your boyfriend can report her.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:27 PM

9,871 posts, read 14,110,023 times
Quote:
Today, she just exploded and knock on our door. I couldn't let my boyfriend argue with her because I'm afraid she claimed that he scared her or something so I talked to her. BUT YES SHE WAS INSANE just like my boyfriend said, I try to explain to her that, 50% of the time, when she pound on the ceiling, we weren't even moving, she star calling me liar and stuff, and then she laid her back on the door side so I couldn't close the door, so I tried to explain to her again, but she just screamed at me, then I realized she is worthless for me to explain, I told her, call the police if you think we are too loud. She said, people don't call the police for things like this, I told her if she doesn't, I will, if the pounding keep on happening. So I got a little angry and said, you are imagining and crazy. So then, she is saying you cannot just say that, I told her normal people do not do that. then she walked away after yelling at me.
Reasonable, rational people are able to realize early when they are in conversations with non-reasonable and non-rational people. And the proper response, immediately, is to politely end the conversation. Continuing to "explain" or getting angry only exacerbates the situation.

"Thank you for letting me know. Yes, we will try to be quiet. Sorry you were disturbed."

This is all that should be said to a crazy person, as you are documenting the intrusion and annoyance.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:40 AM

110 posts, read 134,051 times
Quote:
Can't wait to buy a house! (yet, house problems LOL)
Beingin a house isn't always better. Especially if you have noise with your neighbors

Old 12-01-2016, 04:39 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,002,258 times
What your bf needs to do, not you, is to contact his landlord and let them know what's going on. Let them know that the next time she shows up he will be calling the police. Then he needs to do it...even if they don't show up there is a record of him calling and that creates a trail that clearly shows she's the problem He needs to talk in person to his landlord and then follow up with an email or letter.

As others have said...keep out of it, it's not your unit/lease...your bf needs to be a man and take care of his own issues. As a guest, your behavior could result in your being trespassed from the the property and your bf getting in hot water with his landlord.

Old 12-01-2016, 06:01 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,744,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea44 View Post
Beingin a house isn't always better. Especially if you have noise with your neighbors
It's not always better but you won't have people banging on the ceiling below or on your walls that you are making noise when you are just walking to another room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting