Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 09:20 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,232,302 times

Advertisements

It feels like every time I allow pets I regret it and I am seriously considering going pet free from now on. I charge a pretty small non-refundable pet fee of $250 but I don't charge pet rent which $35 a month is pretty normal here. I just got an early termination with urine stains and holes in the carpet (right at the door so I know it was the dog digging trying to get out), scratches on the door and the casing, and chewed baseboards. Considering there was no notice given and I have an early termination fee once I deduct the rent for however long the vacancy lasts and the re-letting fee plus the rest of the damages the deposit is gone a few times over. The fee is the entire deposit itself plus a carpet patch/stretching (about $250), a full cleaning ($350-$500 including carpets), and replacement fridge shelves (yes plural) there is no way I'm not in the hole on this one. I got good references for a 5 year history from local apartment managers and nothing in court/credit so this isn't a vetting issue; this is just some careless idiot who decided they could trash a house a skip out on it because they were buying so what do they care.

Sorry responsible pet owners I'm about at my wits end with pets so there will soon be another housing provider who denies all pets. Or maybe I should hop on the monthly pet rent train...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 09:31 AM

3,568 posts, read 1,345,126 times
The overly defensive dog owners won't like this but I think it's cruel and inconsiderate to have a dog in an apartment. Dogs bark, they need a yard to run/play in, they can be destructive, they poop in the yard/foyer, and dogs bite. Noise and liability issues.

Cats.....maybe 1, no more. But they can also be a problem.

No pets means no pets.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:47 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,976,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
Sorry responsible pet owners I'm about at my wits end with pets so there will soon be another housing provider who denies all pets. Or maybe I should hop on the monthly pet rent train...
Another compromise might be to allow small caged pets like guinea pigs, hamsters, nonvenomous reptiles, parakeets, and perhaps one small fish tank (20 gallons or less, and require the renter have renter's insurance that would cover any water damage from a tank leak), but not allow dogs or cats. Make ownership of any such small pet subject to prior approval of the landlord as well. It seems to me that when I read landlords' pet complaints on these forums, they virtually always involve problems caused by dogs and cats; rarely are smaller creatures involved. Sometimes I think people forget that the word "pet" is not a synonym for "dog or cat"!

Old 12-02-2016, 10:17 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
I've always allowed pets and have very little pet damage. Occasionally a tenant will leave some pet damage but it doesn't happen often. Certainly not as frequently as child damage.

I figure that I am better off to be able to meet the dog and evaluate the temperament and care than I would be to have tenants sneak in pets, who tend to be young pound puppies who are untrained and the tenant doesn't know how to take care of them or train them.

I evaluate temperament and expect the dog to be clean and groomed and to show some basic training that shows that the tenant has some control over the pet and takes good care of it. We talk about pets in a general manner and pet people will happily talk about their pets and I can work the conversation around to pet care and get information that is valuable to me and that they don't even realize is important.

As for pet fees, the state of Oregon has decided that they can not be charged. I stopped charging a pet deposit. I used to charge a deposit equal to the rent and an additional $300 pet deposit. Now I charge everyone, pet or not, the total sum of the rent amount plus $300. (the deposit on a $1000 house is $1300). The reason that I do that is becasue pet owning tenants will claim that their pet is a service animal to get out of paying the pet deposit. Now, they pay it because it is not labeled a pet deposit and they are thrilled that they can have their dog without paying a pet deposit.

I do not think that landlords can keep pets out any more. All the tenant has to do is to declare that the pet is a service animal and to tell a couple of lies about the "service animal". Or they call the pet an emotional support animal and get it certified online. So, I allow pets so I can control what pets are in my place.

I have some work-arounds for the "service animal" pit bull, but that one is more complicated and more work to keep them out. I get several of those every vacancy.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:56 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,232,887 times
I can see where rent will end up getting so high just to cover the owners with pets. Whether one has pets or not, they will end up paying for the ones that do, because of the "emotional support" crap.

I dont know how you landlords put up with it. Amazing that you can't determine if you want to allow pets on your own property.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:16 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,242,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
I can see where rent will end up getting so high just to cover the owners with pets. Whether one has pets or not, they will end up paying for the ones that do, because of the "emotional support" crap.

I dont know how you landlords put up with it. Amazing that you can't determine if you want to allow pets on your own property.
Yes! Its getting absurd.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:43 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,142,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post

Amen. Emotional support animal = pet.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:50 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,045,715 times
I've seen the damage done by pets and if I were a landlord I've be livid; and would stop allowing pets.

The only time neighbors with pets bother me is when they have a dog that barks non stop while the owner is out; the owner doesn't pick up Fido's poop; and when owners don't control their dog properly and allow the dog to get too close to other people (these are animals and one never knows if or when a dog will decide to bite or even knock someone down).

Old 12-02-2016, 01:59 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I've always allowed pets and have very little pet damage.

...be able to meet the dog and evaluate the temperament and care...
I evaluate temperament and expect the dog to be clean and groomed
and to show some basic training that shows that the tenant has some control...
^^This.

Old 12-02-2016, 03:59 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,301,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I've always allowed pets and have very little pet damage. Occasionally a tenant will leave some pet damage but it doesn't happen often. Certainly not as frequently as child damage.

This, X2.

Irresponsible pet owners such as those described by the OP make it tough for those who can manage their pets. We've had 3 cats for over 30 years (not the same 3, of course.) No landlord has ever needed to charge us for cat-related damage. These days, friends have told me they have to sneak in their cats, (or just the 3rd cat for two pet limits,) to get a lease.

We own now, but our HOA specifically allows THREE small pets, so we didn't have to commit fraud when we signed the agreement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting