U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 04:47 PM

49 posts, read 41,111 times

Advertisements

I am almost prepare to buy a property and want to rent out a room but my question is how do you go through facts check, checking history/background/work. How do you make sure you get good renters and not ones that will trash your house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 06:20 PM

26,401 posts, read 57,013,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpmeout1 View Post
I am almost prepare to buy a property and want to rent out a room...
Don't buy the house if you're counting on that income.

Quote:
...how do you go through facts check, checking history/background/work.
Have you never had or been a house mate before?

Old 12-05-2016, 06:25 PM

The house is not much and I can pay but would just like extra income if possible. I have never been a room mate or had one.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:25 PM

4,237 posts, read 6,237,559 times
Well, my perspective as a guy who rented rooms in multiples of states from multiples of owners (always owner occupied) and who has also just recently gone through the route of trying to rent out a house, I can see this from both perspectives.

Back when I was renting, it was just a meet and greet based on an ad in the paper or local bulletin board. Yup, this was all pre "common internet" (mid to late 90's and early 00's). I don't think that anyone ever ran any kind of background checks, though I may be wrong.

These days it's stupidly easy to do a credit check (https://connect.experian.com/credit-...landlords.html), do some background snooping on social media, calling references (though you should be smart and double check the phone numbers given match the work names/and prior landlord names match tax records for the address given ~ scuzzy people like to use friends as their "references").

I'd do a combination of both, you absolutely have Every right to refuse anyone for ANY reason. There are ZERO discrimination laws that can be used against an owner occupied building so long as you keep less than 3 total renters (there's a 4-unit limitation for apartments, not sure how that would play out for room renting).

Going back to my personal experience, my Best experience was as the only renter and our schedules were almost completely opposite (I worked 7am~3pm, he got in about 1~2am ). Worst experience was a house with 4 renters and an over-bearing owner who manufactured drama. I spent 3 years in the first and less than 2 months in the second. I had some other experiences in between and it seemed like 2 years was about normal for Most people who rented a room before they moved on.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:38 PM

16,302 posts, read 15,602,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpmeout1 View Post
The house is not much and I can pay but would just like extra income if possible. I have never been a room mate or had one.
It is pretty unusual to for someone to have never had a roommate, not in college, not when they were just starting out in life, never. Did you always live in studio or one bedroom apartments or at home?

Old 12-05-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
It is pretty unusual to for someone to have never had a roommate, not in college, not when they were just starting out in life, never. Did you always live in studio or one bedroom apartments or at home?
Well considering im 22 and I have been living with my relatives, other then that nope.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:39 AM

10,212 posts, read 6,301,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I don't think it's unusual at all.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:40 AM

2,909 posts, read 1,069,027 times
I purchased my first home when I was 23 and single. I rented rooms out for years to make the payments. It was always an investment for me. I had as many as three roommates at a time, but in almost all cases they were friends, so I knew them before they moved in.
I lived near an University and the two times I got guys from the college that I didn't know first, both time turned out badly.
The first guy, even though he appeared to be normal, turned out to be a mental case and put me through hell before he finally moved out.
I came home from work after he had vacated, and discovered he had emptied my kitchen drawers and used them to pack his belongings. Fortunately he had left a new power mower in the backyard that I held for ransom in able to get my drawers back. I could write a book on the crazy things that guy did before I got him out.
The next two guys were worse, college jocks and fitness freaks. One day I came home from work to find them snorting coke on my living room table in preparation for going to work out in the gym. So much for being fitness freaks.!
One day I was vacuuming the formal dining room and picked up a chair to move it and the arm fell off. I discovered they had broken the arm off and reattached it with scotch tape, hoping no one would notice.
The final straw was when they went home during their summer break, I told them to find a new place to live when they return because I was getting married. Three months later, after getting married and moving my wife and step daughter in, there came a knock on the door in the middle of the night. Those clowns had returned and planned to move back in. These examples are just a few of the many unbelievable things those renters did.
All this to tell you that being a landlord and having strangers share a home with you isn't always a good thing. You never really know someone until you have lived with them, and by then it may be too late.
I had some miserable experiences, but it paid off in the end because I bought and sold several homes for a profit, that the renters paid for.
I now own rental properties, but I have property managers who deal with the crazies, I just get the rent checks each month.
Proceed with caution.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:18 AM

983 posts, read 679,849 times
I own a 5br home in a desirable area and am a single 55yo guy

My place is a daylite rambler and the downstairs / basement area is set up perfect for roomies ( 2 brs and a separate bath and rec room / living area ) My place is comepletely furnished so I have no worries of renters dragging in smelly mattresses or bed bugs to my home

I only rent to young single girls between the age of 18-25. I screen them carefully and select: students - girls with nice jobs or a couple regular jobs - no drama non 'catty' chicks - no pets - no smoking no drugs no sec 8 vouchers no hen vouchers etc ... and ABSOLUTELY NO MALE VISITORS rule. Must have rule and the girls understand and appreciate its for their best interest and keeps drame to a minimum and I never have to worry about guys over staying their welcome or drinking my beer or pissin on the downstairs toilet seat and making the other girl roomie upset !!

Works out great ! The girls get an upscale large very nice completely furnished home to live in and I always have 1-2 hot younger girls around to keep me entertained. Makes for a nice aptmosphere and is a win win for everyone.

I charge $650 for the larger br and $600 for the smaller and am very VERY selective when it comes time to replace a girl after 1 moves on. It's always better for 1 room to sit vacant for a few months vs jamming the wrong girl in too quickly and seeing that girl A and girl B are not a match personality wise ( makes for drama )

I run craigslist ads mostly .... and ignore 90% of the replies as I get responses that cleary are not in compliance with the particulars my ad stated.

You will find most 'room seekers' are notorious problem people ( they are their own worst enemies ) About 1 reply out of 10-15 replies is a worth while candidate. Of those it takes approx. half a dozen or so girls to visit in person before I find a 'good fit/ and pursue things with her. Sometimes I locate that person within 1 month ... other times it takes a few months.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:29 AM

7,818 posts, read 6,550,642 times
If an HOA, be sure they allow room rentals. Many do not and for good reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or