Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 09:02 PM

13,914 posts, read 39,155,306 times

Advertisements

About 2 weeks ago my landlord who is also the local section 8 person..told me that my name is at the top. She gave me the local list & told me to go apt hunting. Well I found several places in 2 days & picked 1 to move into.
Well now that I have a place to go & can move by Wed...she still wants me to pay the full months rent here!! Now I dont mind paying a prorated amount But she wants to charge me a whole month. Plus she tells me if I dont pay it section 8 will not pay my rent at the new place in April. For March in the new place & have to pay full rent & deposit!! There is now way I can pay rent on 3 places. Oh this goes for my sons apt too, as we are trying to move in together!! Our only income is my disability check....

Any thoughts or ideas would be helpful.....

Oh also I have always paid our rent on the 3rd of the month when my dissability comes in the mail. She says now I must be out by Friday to keep from paying for March rent!

Last edited by Katie1; 02-27-2008 at 09:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 10:08 PM

95 posts, read 465,925 times
that sounds tough, I hope you get some good and informative answers.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:17 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,363,200 times
Need details, please. Is there a contract or lease? What state and type of rental? However, in the meantime, you may check with your local courthouse. They will direct you on the local laws (which vary greatly from state to state). Usually, towns have a law library with a clerk who is paid to help you find information. I'd say, lease or not, you have at least 30 days written notice to move.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:31 PM

Lease....West Virginia....HUD [which also controls the section 8 in my area]

Old 02-29-2008, 09:32 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,363,200 times
Well, I'd guess that HUD will have control over the landlord's receiving rent, or even returning any unused portion (?), but now you've discovered the rental dilemma... You must get everything in writing! If the landlord ask you to move, get all the details in writing. If there is a contract, it cannot be changed without a written amendment signed by both parties. HUD will hold the landlord to maintain a legal business, so you'll probably get a fair deal. But, you may need to give written notice, even if the landlord verbally ask you to leave and you complied. Get legal help.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:39 AM

I was NOT asked to move...Not being evicted! I am switching to Section 8 from what is in house HUD [no I dont understand the defference]. On reg Section 8 in a yr I can move out of area/out of state. In my present apt I cant. It just that this has happened very quickly after over a yr wait. Since I have ALLWAYS paid my rent on the 3rd I just can not figure out why they want me to move before then....& why I have to pay a whole months rent!! I did call a lawyer and was told just move then he could talk to them about a payment plan or prorated rent for the time it takes to get moved. My biggest fear is that because they control the section 8 and I owe money on the old rent will they pay the rent in April or will I be stuck paying full rent which I can not afford on my own....catch 22. Full rent is $600 my income is $650....plus to move in the new place I am paying all rent & deposit to the new place which is $1200 for March!!

Old 03-01-2008, 05:06 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,493,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I was NOT asked to move...Not being evicted! I am switching to Section 8 from what is in house HUD [no I dont understand the defference]. On reg Section 8 in a yr I can move out of area/out of state. In my present apt I cant. It just that this has happened very quickly after over a yr wait. Since I have ALLWAYS paid my rent on the 3rd I just can not figure out why they want me to move before then....& why I have to pay a whole months rent!! I did call a lawyer and was told just move then he could talk to them about a payment plan or prorated rent for the time it takes to get moved. My biggest fear is that because they control the section 8 and I owe money on the old rent will they pay the rent in April or will I be stuck paying full rent which I can not afford on my own....catch 22. Full rent is $600 my income is $650....plus to move in the new place I am paying all rent & deposit to the new place which is $1200 for March!!
Check any documentation you have. You're working with the government, theres gotta be something.

Usually you must give 30 days notice before moving. However, if Section 8 is aware that you are on system a and they're switching you to System B, they should know about switchover stuff and help you through it. I bet its infuriatingly simple.

They can't just 'withhold rent' because they think you owe rent to someone for something. However, if they have a case for it, they can take you to court over it, and probably take you off... blah blah blah. Lets not go there. (btw, good step in contacting a lawyer)

You may be forced to pay rent at location a for 30 days, because of the 30 day notice required. However, if that landlord finds a tenant before that time period, they generally cannot continue to collect rent from you for it.

Best of luck. Talk to the people in the system who actually get things accomplished. Talk to your landlord directly, if they know you're on the HUD system, and moving to Section 8, then they know your situation and hopefully are accomodating in making the transition.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:25 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,008,769 times
Well, it may sound insensitive, but you're getting a free ride with section 8 paying your rent. Anytime anyone moves, we end up with either two places to stay for a brief period of overlap, or none (crash with a friend). We all have to pay for two places during the overlap. That's life.

Be grateful for all the rent you are not having to pay (that we are paying for you through our tax dollars) instead of complaining about having to pay a little extra to get yourself into a better long term deal.

Your situation is a blessing, not a problem. Be thankful for it and work it out.

Steve

Old 03-01-2008, 08:21 PM

FREE FREE WHERE!!! HAHAHA...no way. I am paying New Apt $1200 for the month of March...Sectioon 8 wont kick in until April & I still will be paying $200 which is 30% plus all utilities.

I Dont mind payin for the time it takes for me to move....But since I pay rent on the 3rd of each...when I get my check and have been paying it ON time on the 3rd each month. Why was the Full rent here sudenly due on the 29th!!! OR the I Must be out by then...thats my gripe!!
Also how can they withhold the section 8 in April if it is NOT paid!! Also they are holding $400 of my deposit when I moved here Why cant they use that for my final bills!!

Also STEVE I hope that your life is never cut short and you end up on disabillity....I worked hard for my money & paid double taxes as self employed all my adult life & served my country in the military....

Old 03-02-2008, 04:29 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,493,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
FREE FREE WHERE!!! HAHAHA...no way. I am paying New Apt $1200 for the month of March...Sectioon 8 wont kick in until April & I still will be paying $200 which is 30% plus all utilities.

I Dont mind payin for the time it takes for me to move....But since I pay rent on the 3rd of each...when I get my check and have been paying it ON time on the 3rd each month. Why was the Full rent here sudenly due on the 29th!!! OR the I Must be out by then...thats my gripe!!
Also how can they withhold the section 8 in April if it is NOT paid!! Also they are holding $400 of my deposit when I moved here Why cant they use that for my final bills!!

Also STEVE I hope that your life is never cut short and you end up on disabillity....I worked hard for my money & paid double taxes as self employed all my adult life & served my country in the military....
Lets try to avoid the personal flames. Steve has the point that social services are paid out of our tax dollars.

You have the point that section 8 doesn't pay the entirety of the bills.

Lets leave it at that.

Your current landlord must give you reasonable notice to vacate. 7 days is not reasonable notice. Usually 30 days is the specified term.

Steve is right that we often end up paying overlap, unless you're really lucky.

I think you're in a tight spot with the way places open up with section 8. It sounds like (correct me if Im wrong) that you were told on say... the 13th of February that a new apt. was opening up on Feb. 29th.

Your landlord took this info, and said you must pay for the entire month of march because you didn't give me notice, etc.

If you had given him notice on that day that you were leaving. Maybe you can pro-rate the rent and end up paying half of March's rent.

In addition, since you said you were currently on some other social Service (HUD?), why can't they continue to pay for their portion in March?

Also, your lease may or may not have a 'grace' period. If your landlord has been lenient, but doesn't has to be... maybe they have an axe to grind.

I dont know. I feel like parts of the story are missing, but I'm just going to work off the assumption that the premises you have laid out are true, and are the only possible premises.

I bet this whole thing can be cleared up in a satisfactory manner with just a simple discussion with a lawyer, your (now old?) landlord, and the people running Section 8/HUD. Those folks are there for your support and helping you to work through this. While a few members here have experiences with Section 8 and other social services, more often than not we are woefully unprepared to help in this realm.

Again, Steve did make a good point with the simple fact that more often than not, people are forced to pay for 2 places at a time when moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting