Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 09:20 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,500,041 times

Advertisements

It will depend on your exact location, but broadly speaking, the landlord can only enter your unit without notice in the event of a bona fide emergency, such as a fire or flooding. Despite what others have posted, in many areas, landlords do not have the authority to conduct wellness checks. That's why we have police forces.

In the vast majority of the country, the landlord would be committing misdemeanor trespass if they entered your unit as you described. Is it a big deal in the grand scheme of things? No, not really, but it is your home and I certainly wouldn't want anyone inviting themselves in for any reason at all short of an emergency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post

BTW my Lease says you gone 3 days No notice you Gone for Good!
So what, you start abandonment eviction proceedings every time a tenant goes away for a long weekend? What a worthless clause that will likely never hold up in court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 02:23 AM

193 posts, read 168,643 times
LOL, if opening the door and placing the package near the entryway to keep it safe is a misdemeanor, then by all means, sue the landlord. Or better yet, move? No one is forcing you to stay at a place where the landlord is so rude and mean. How dare he open my door when I'm not home for 3+ days (Landlord doesn't know since I didn't tell him) to put my package in a safe location. How dare he!

Now, if the Landlord is ALWAYS asking to enter the house for inspection, than that would be very annoying. Or always knocking at the door in wee hours of the night. Questioning your visitors, or trespassing while your shower. That would be a time to call the cops.

But opening the door to place a package safely in the entryway? While you were gone for 3 days w/o giving him notice? BOO FREAKING HOO!

I'm a landlord and I only visit once a month to collect rent. I don't even do inspections unless I get a call or text. Usually I just call a handyman to do the repairs sight unseen.

I've been bad at giving 24 hours notice though. But it doesn't seem my tenant minds since she got a new door.

But after reading the CA laws, I'll take that into consideration.

Last edited by goodie2shoes; 01-09-2017 at 02:41 AM..

Old 01-09-2017, 04:23 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,500,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodie2shoes View Post
LOL, if opening the door and placing the package near the entryway to keep it safe is a misdemeanor, then by all means, sue the landlord.
There's nothing to sue for because the tenant has no damages. That doesn't change the fact that it meets the elements for trespass in most jurisdictions. You don't have to agree with it, that's simply the law.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:04 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,695,396 times
Can they, sure, it's not illegal in the criminal sense, no one is going to arrest them. They are not supposed to but that's part of being a renter you can have can have a lousy LL who does not respect your rights, I would suggest getting a hidden cam and recording. I had an LL come in and I found her snooping in my apartment she said she was looking for the rent check which I had ready for her, and I asked at a legal site where everyone is nasty and their response was, no you can't sue, what are your damages.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:37 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,018,706 times
Wait, if a landlord has to give 24 hour notice and the tenant was gone for 3 days, how does anyone know notice wasn't given? The Landlord could have left a note on the door and returned the next day or day after and the tenant wouldn't have been any the wiser.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:56 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,695,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Wait, if a landlord has to give 24 hour notice and the tenant was gone for 3 days, how does anyone know notice wasn't given? The Landlord could have left a note on the door and returned the next day or day after and the tenant wouldn't have been any the wiser.
But they should have to make an effort to contact you via phone, email or text and not just leave a note.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:54 AM

32,565 posts, read 47,729,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
But they should have to make an effort to contact you via phone, email or text and not just leave a note.
Except if you want to be 100% legal about it, proper notice is posted, not sent in an email, text, or phone call.

But again, getting upset because your landlord protected your package from theft is a darn silly reason to get all hostile.

Go ahead and make a fuss and the next time your package lands at the office, they will simply refuse it and have it returned to the sender.

Old 01-11-2017, 03:05 AM

420 posts, read 464,165 times
So I got my reason from the landlord as to why they entered my place to put the package in rather than keeping it safe in the rental office. The reason was that she knocked at my door several times and no response. They haven't seen my car parked where I usually park. The manager of the building assume that I had "left them" (without notice aka "vacate"). First of all, they could have called me. Secondly, why would I "leave them" knowing I have a package coming? My lease wasn't even up yet but all my yearly lease signing I do put a clause stating if the time comes I want to be able to vacate (without finishing the year lease), for work reasons and relocation.

I don't need to sue as it might just create tension.

Old 01-11-2017, 04:01 AM

997 posts, read 932,655 times
In my state we are supposed to give notice, but then we can go in and snoop anywhere we want. Feasibly, a notice could have been left on day one, and on day 3 they could enter.

In the case that just occurred, it was innocent. They just opened the door enough to slide the package in. That is no reason to pitch a fit, or to sue.

Why would you sue a landlord over that. Do you think that would make you look good? It wouldn't. It isn't reasonable.

It is reasonable to go with the flow. No harm, no foul except for in your head.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:26 AM

305 posts, read 722,157 times
So a landlord/worker could walk in to two people naked/having Sex without a knock in the door or a phone call?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting