Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 02:55 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,196,400 times

Advertisements

I do my own property management from overseas after the worst experience in the world with Coldwell Banker.

You don't want to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 04:26 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,759,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Have you considered letting a professional property manager take care of your rental property?
and give them 20% of the lower than market rent. Nope.

I live about 7 mins from this one property, so its usually ok.

I also had a bad experience with Coldwell Banker and the tenant they found. I have found that when i get the tenants myself, they are usually ok. Again, this time I used a realtor.

Learned a few lessons from this. Thanks for the support.

d

Old 03-01-2008, 06:19 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,490,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
I will provide my tenants with a working heating system. I would no more pay for their oil than I would their electricity or gas. If your tenant is on welfare or some other assistance, it is up to her to apply. Most oil companies will not deliver to a renter without C.O.D., for obvious reasons, and assistance must pay for the oil before it's delivered, which takes time. If the heater actually breaks, I'll put them in a hotel until it's fixed, but if it's damaged because it ran empty, they're responsible. I don't run an adult day-care service, and her ability to pay for oil is none of my business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
and give them 20% of the lower than market rent. Nope.

I live about 7 mins from this one property, so its usually ok.

I also had a bad experience with Coldwell Banker and the tenant they found. I have found that when i get the tenants myself, they are usually ok. Again, this time I used a realtor.

Learned a few lessons from this. Thanks for the support.

d
How much time and energy do you spend on this unit? Is it time that could be spent earning that equivalent 20%? I try to attach a $ amount to my time. If its going to take me 10 hours to fix my car, and I'm making $15/hr. Then if its going to be less than $150 to fix it from a mechanic (in labor, not counting parts) then Im going to let the mechanic deal with it. Same with my PCs, even if I know how to fix them. If someone else can do it cheaper, than what it'd take me. Awesome. I'll let them.

I'll be honest though, it sounds like your lease isn't fully structured properly. If you had an exclusive contract with a particular company, and that was outlined in the lease, then you have a case against her for the $600 or whatever. If its not outlined exclusively, and you only told her about it verbally, then you're going to have to suffer that lost.

Someone mentioned dealing with it yourself. Well, before you shoot them down... they also mentioned that you'd ADD IT TO THE RENT. To offset the cost.

However, I'm a big fan of ESFP's piece, "I don't run an adult day-care service"

He has a point. Its not your responsibility and I encourage you to make sure these things are outlined explicitly.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:02 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,412,544 times
Wow... 275 gal of oil go by THAT quick? I wouldn't want to pay that kind of money to heat my house every other week or so. That is insane

Old 03-01-2008, 12:23 PM

no ; it wasnt full at all. There was about 1/2 tank at the end of Jan when she got it filled last.

So basically 1/2 tank lasted one full month ; this is NY we are speaking about.

d

Old 03-01-2008, 07:23 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,196,400 times
That' the problem with utilities. If you include heat, the tenant may use it without thinking. You've all see apartment buildings with windows open in the dead of winter.

I agree with structuring the lease better.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:11 AM

13,912 posts, read 39,111,696 times
Is it even Legal for you to tell her what oil co she Has to get her oil from?? In my area it is NOT!!

Old 03-02-2008, 11:43 AM

yes it is legal. I need a contract with my burner and so as a result to have the contract, you need to buy the oil from them. It says so in the contract. Also i told her which oil co to use because of this.

She is responsible for the oil and I am resposible for the burner ; that it works properly etc. I keep my end of the bargain, and all we agreed was that she would keep the tank with oil in it. It says so on the lease which both of us signed.

d

Old 03-02-2008, 01:50 PM

13,912 posts, read 39,111,696 times
Ok well she did put oil in the tank...so I really dont understand what your problem is....Burners bad then you get it fix. Why all the big dael about draining & cleaning the tank? IF the oil was bad then go back on that co that del it to clean it up & fix it!! Some Co will not deal with welfare cause they dont want to wait for their money. Or could be she tought oil is oil and in a pinch best not freeze or take a chance on the pipes freezing bring on other problems. Could be minor problem of changing the filter or the little tips cause of clogged line. I know that can be a small pain but not $600 worth [bet the other co doesnt cover that in thier contract !!]

Old 03-02-2008, 04:15 PM

Katie
I think you missed my point. The point was that two weeks ago i told her that she needed oil. She didnt order it, then waited until she ran out, then got it from a different oil company. That voided out the contract that she knew I had so no even 8 weeks later I had to pay for another contract plus the emergency visit to turn the burner on.

When you run so low in oil, the burner automatocially shuts off. So it was $200 for the visit (my money), plus another $200(again, my money) for another contract. The burner wasnt bad ; it was off because it ran out of oil. She put oil in the tank as she agreed to do.

Oh but yet the landlords are making fortunes eh!!
d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting