Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 03:54 PM

305 posts, read 723,790 times

Advertisements

I was searching for an apartment and I'd really like to have an animal companion with me. For apartments that have a no pet policy or have a pet deposit, does it apply to only cats and dogs? Do landlords usually make exceptions to small animals like hamsters, rabbits, ferrets or birds or even goldfish? I don't see how pets like these could cause harm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 04:03 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
Ferrets can give off an offensive odor. Rabbits can be destructive and also smell. Most owners don't keep either of these animals in the cage 100% of the time. Birds can be loud.

Goldfish--probably okay. Hamster--maybe.

No pets means no pets.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:16 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Sometimes "No Pets" means no pets. Sometimes it just means no cats or dogs. The only way to know for sure is to contact the landlord.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:49 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Birds can make a hella-mess just by tossing seeds & rodents and birds often chew on things.. fish tanks can leak & sometimes malfunction & pump water everywhere. You're certainly free to ask, but no pets means no pets to me..

Old 01-10-2017, 05:52 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
You are going to have to ask the landlord.

I allow pets, but I do not allow house rabbits, ferrets, large parrots, or large fish tanks. All for very good reason because of possible damage and, in the case of the parrots, I don't want to listen to the neighbors complain about the loud shrieking.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You are going to have to ask the landlord.

I allow pets, but I do not allow house rabbits, ferrets, large parrots, or large fish tanks. All for very good reason because of possible damage and, in the case of the parrots, I don't want to listen to the neighbors complain about the loud shrieking.
I can understand rabbits and some birds, but why fish? They don't make noise, and they don't poop on carpet.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:09 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,504,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
I can understand rabbits and some birds, but why fish? They don't make noise, and they don't poop on carpet.
Ever seen the damage a busted fish tank can cause? (Hint, it has to do with large amounts of water...)

I agree that you really need to contact the potential landlord to ask. Sometimes no pets means no pets, sometimes landlords are willing to allow certain small pets.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Ever seen the damage a busted fish tank can cause? (Hint, it has to do with large amounts of water...)

I agree that you really need to contact the potential landlord to ask. Sometimes no pets means no pets, sometimes landlords are willing to allow certain small pets.
How would a fish tank bust? Unless someone was dumb enough to knock it over. If that's the case, that's on them and not the landlord.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:36 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Quote:
How would a fish tank bust? Unless someone was dumb enough to knock it over. If that's the case, that's on them and not the landlord.
WE had one betta fish in a 5 gallon tank, in the bedroom, for a few years. The water always appeared to be full to the tank, & the fish was happy. Then we moved, so we had to move the tank & the fish, Once we moved the tank, there was a huge water stain on the furniture, we had to junk the cabinet, We owned it, so no landlord hassle, but I can see how, undetected leaks can cause damage. It is always best to clarify any questions with the landlord. We also keept a towel under the tank too.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:40 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,834,779 times
Quote:

Fish tanks can leak or developer cracks. I don't allow water beds for the same reason. It's easy to say that damages are on the tenant, but getting them to pay for the damages is a whole other story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting