Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 01:48 PM

6,330 posts, read 17,978,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDailyCompulsion View Post
Hey Austin-Steve... how likely is it that the landlord will try to file suit on a late fee that was charged because the last month's rent was late?
I'm not sure what your asking. A late fee would simply come out of the deposit. For us, we would have already mailed an eviction notice if it's THE LAST MONTH, as we know there are tenants like b75 who try to not pay last month's rent. In that case, if before we filed the eviction at JP Court they paid the rent but not the late fee, we would simply take it out of the deposit return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 01:54 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,456,053 times
Oh Good Lord for the last time all of my landlord's have received the full payment for the last month's rent on time. Last time I checked the money from one account was just as green as money in the other. And noone has ever taken a late fee from me; maybe b/c I communicate with them prior to the due date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I'm not sure what your asking. A late fee would simply come out of the deposit. For us, we would have already mailed an eviction notice if it's THE LAST MONTH, as we know there are tenants like b75 who try to not pay last month's rent. In that case, if before we filed the eviction at JP Court they paid the rent but not the late fee, we would simply take it out of the deposit return.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:12 PM

6,330 posts, read 17,978,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b75 View Post
Oh Good Lord for the last time all of my landlord's have received the full payment for the last month's rent on time. Last time I checked the money from one account was just as green as money in the other. And noone has ever taken a late fee from me; maybe b/c I communicate with them prior to the due date.
My point in debating you on this, and the service I hope it provides other readers, is that your "last month's rent come out of the deposit" practice can have very serious negative consequences if attempted with a professional landlord.

Lest someone read your theory on last month's rent and think they might try it sometime, they should also know that some of us landlords don't play those games and we hold our renters accountable to the written lease agreement, period.

The state legislature in Texas has such a dim view of your method that a renter will be fined triple the rent amount for trying to declare last month's rent as covered by a security deposit. Likewise, landlords are liable for triple damages if they wrongfully withhold rent.

Life is much easier when people keep their agreements instead of trying to unilaterally change them to suit their personal fears and worries.

Steve

Old 03-11-2008, 02:16 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,456,053 times
I know the laws in the state where I rent which apparently are very different from TX. Like I said initially my state is very tenant friendly, landlord unfriendl & it is not easy to execute a judgment on a tenant. Heck it takes forever and a day in my state to actually have someone removed from the premises with which they have been evicted. That being said, I have rented from corporations as well as individual owners & my method has worked. Bottom line is know the laws in your state. In my state this in my best interest & my landlord gets what they are owed as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
My point in debating you on this, and the service I hope it provides other readers, is that your "last month's rent come out of the deposit" practice can have very serious negative consequences if attempted with a professional landlord.

Lest someone read your theory on last month's rent and think they might try it sometime, they should also know that some of us landlords don't play those games and we hold our renters accountable to the written lease agreement, period.

The state legislature in Texas has such a dim view of your method that a renter will be fined triple the rent amount for trying to declare last month's rent as covered by a security deposit. Likewise, landlords are liable for triple damages if they wrongfully withhold rent.

Life is much easier when people keep their agreements instead of trying to unilaterally change them to suit their personal fears and worries.

Steve

Old 11-01-2009, 12:55 AM

24 posts, read 114,464 times
Ah Steve,

I registered here just to post for you. I love people like you - in fact, I am just like you! But I represent the other side of the fence. I am a tenant.

I am currently in the process of plotting a triple damages suit against a landlord who failed to return my security deposit. He is the 5th of 5 - every single landlord I have ever rented from - who has failed to return my security deposit.

Now here is some information you may toss aside (and rightfully so, hearsay is for the dogs!): I am a meticulous person. I have been diagnosed with OCD from an early age. I leave every apartment I enter in BETTER condition than when I leave. Yet call it luck, or perhaps my low income and subsequent low-income housing (of course)...every one of my landlords to date has kept my security deposit. I have a judgment out on 1 of the landlords, and a wage garnish slowly paying me back on another years later.

Unfortunately for Freddy this time I am extremely armed and dangerous. Poor Freddy failed to send me the following: 1) a statement of condition, 2) a receipt indicating the escrow account my security deposit is in, and 3) a receipt for my security deposit within 30 days of the date indicated by my written notice to vacate (return receipt requested, receipt # inkmarked on the note, envelop, and photocopied!). I will be pursuing him viciously to the full extent of the law. I do not expect to recover this money for many years .

You see, the big dog landlords actually do screw over tenants constantly without the tenants themselves being predisposed to unlawful action. And guess what? It hurts us quite a bit, as we're RENTERS and we don't quite have the income to afford places to RENT OUT. So that thousand bucks + court fees can really jam us up the river.

Well, well, well...Freddy, I'll see you on Friday!

Rueben out We are two peas in a pod, a yin and a yang!

Old 11-01-2009, 02:49 AM

105,693 posts, read 107,682,511 times
we get first months rent, last months rent and a months security from all tenants. i dont want to chase and sue tenants for damages because i have no security deposit left.

any tenent that dosnt have at least 3 months reserves to give us is not a tenant we even want. its hard enough being a landlord without dealing with tenents who live hand to mouth and their financial problems are my problems. sorry but we aint family!.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:25 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,443,763 times
Ah Rueben,
Read some threads by the poster Molliesue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rueben View Post
Ah Steve,

I registered here just to post for you. I love people like you - in fact, I am just like you! But I represent the other side of the fence. I am a tenant.

I am currently in the process of plotting a triple damages suit against a landlord who failed to return my security deposit. He is the 5th of 5 - every single landlord I have ever rented from - who has failed to return my security deposit.

Now here is some information you may toss aside (and rightfully so, hearsay is for the dogs!): I am a meticulous person. I have been diagnosed with OCD from an early age. I leave every apartment I enter in BETTER condition than when I leave. Yet call it luck, or perhaps my low income and subsequent low-income housing (of course)...every one of my landlords to date has kept my security deposit. I have a judgment out on 1 of the landlords, and a wage garnish slowly paying me back on another years later.

Unfortunately for Freddy this time I am extremely armed and dangerous. Poor Freddy failed to send me the following: 1) a statement of condition, 2) a receipt indicating the escrow account my security deposit is in, and 3) a receipt for my security deposit within 30 days of the date indicated by my written notice to vacate (return receipt requested, receipt # inkmarked on the note, envelop, and photocopied!). I will be pursuing him viciously to the full extent of the law. I do not expect to recover this money for many years .

You see, the big dog landlords actually do screw over tenants constantly without the tenants themselves being predisposed to unlawful action. And guess what? It hurts us quite a bit, as we're RENTERS and we don't quite have the income to afford places to RENT OUT. So that thousand bucks + court fees can really jam us up the river.

Well, well, well...Freddy, I'll see you on Friday!

Rueben out We are two peas in a pod, a yin and a yang!

Old 05-05-2010, 11:40 AM

2 posts, read 7,836 times
Everyone is taking up for the landlord when in fact the landlord in most casses is the one stating that you will be paying first and last months rent at the time you sign the lease. This is rather unethical if you ask me. You want the tenant to do the right thing but you as a landlord have entered the whole agreement misleading the tenant. Just maybe if you were up front with the tenant ,you wouldn't have any problems at the end of the lease.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:46 AM

2 posts, read 7,836 times
If they had that kind of money they would not be wasting it. They would be investing in their own home NOT PAYING YOUR MORTGAGE "WE ANIT FAMILY"

Last edited by Unrespected Tenant; 05-05-2010 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: misspelled

Old 05-05-2010, 02:34 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,434,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unrespected Tenant View Post
Everyone is taking up for the landlord when in fact the landlord in most casses is the one stating that you will be paying first and last months rent at the time you sign the lease. This is rather unethical if you ask me. You want the tenant to do the right thing but you as a landlord have entered the whole agreement misleading the tenant. Just maybe if you were up front with the tenant ,you wouldn't have any problems at the end of the lease.
Whatever point you're attempting to make is confusing. What is "unethical" about a LL asking for first, last and one month's security upon the signing of a lease agreement? There's nothing unethical, illegal or misleading about it. If this is what a LL requires and you can't provide it then you look elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting