Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 05:52 PM

169 posts, read 115,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glnc View Post
Thank you, Oregonwoodsmoke, for this information.

I've just started searching and I'm using Craigslist, which adds to my concern.

I thought anyone could run a credit report on you if you provide your SS#?

I would not have any issues if I need to rent from an off-site landlord or management company. I am more concerned about renting a spare bedroom, which it looks like I might need to do for financial reasons.

Can I ask any for any verifiable information from the individual or am I just at their mercy since the rental market is so tight? My credit is really good, so I would be worried they might use my SS# and other info.

Thank you for your help!
I have rented a room in Craigslist. I specifically choose the one not wanting my private info. I feel no need to give my info on them. It's not like I will stay for a long time anyway. I only rented a month each time. I got lucky in both. They weren't killers/psychos/rapists. One was a woman with a child, the other was a man and an ex wife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 06:28 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
I'm seeing a lot of ads for people looking to sublease a room (not even an entire unit) that they themselves are renting from some else. I'm not sure this is even legal.

That's why I was hopefully looking for some type of rental from a private landlord that I could qualify for.

But just from reading everyone's comments, it doesn't seem like this would be a good idea.

Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it
You're welcome.

Just for the record, I rent houses, and included in the terms of my leases there is a prohibition against tenants sub-leasing. Any tenant of mine would be in deep trouble if they subleased, and due to the terms of my lease I would have every right to force the unauthorized tenant to leave. That would leave the unauthorized tenant with no recourse except to sue my tenant.

And it would annoy the heck out of me and possibly cause me to evict the main tenant too.

Old 02-03-2017, 06:45 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Thank you. In the past I have only dealt with apartment complexes. But now, I cannot afford (and do not qualify for) a one bedroom in an area that is not dangerous (a lot of shootings). I also wouldn't qualify to sign on a lease with a roommate since we both have to be able to qualify on our own financially for the entire rent. I have no one who could co-sign for me.

I'm seeing a lot of ads for people looking to sublease a room (not even an entire unit) that they themselves are renting from some else. I'm not sure this is even legal.

That's why I was hopefully looking for some type of rental from a private landlord that I could qualify for.

But just from reading everyone's comments, it doesn't seem like this would be a good idea.

Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it
I wouldn't give up. Craigslist are not always scammers. If you have no pets it should not be hard to find a decent room in a decent house. You may not even be ask for a SS#. I don't think I was asked the last 2 apartments I had. One did only accept cash for the deposit and 1st months rent, but I did get a key and I found the listing from calling the phone number on the sign out front and he was the super who was friends with the owner. Then before buying my house I had to get roommates. They only also took cash, they were awful and I had to endure 3 months there and the house I was going to buy fell thru. He ended up stealing my security deposit, but I knew he would because he was a deadbeat thief. Then I moved to where I was going to buy a house and lived with a roommate for 3 months and now I am a homeowner, it was harder for me to find a roommate because I had 2 small dogs. Everyone is not a scammer. If it doesn't sound logical or it's too good to be true it might be a scam.

Old 02-03-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
The common scam is that the scammer somehow gets access to a key (there are various ways to do this) and then places an advertisement on Craig's list. They meet the applicant at the property, use the ill gotten key to let them in, then probably have papers to sign and require cash. Cash would be a HUGE warning sign!

Good idea about shooting the license plate. Get a pic of the "landlord" too. I can get my phone out and take your pic quicker than you can say "no!" Particularly if you already have it set in camera mode. Take a few pics of the house, turn around and shoot the landlord, I'm sure that would always work!

I don't know how they get the keys. The only way I can think of is to break into the house (screwdriver or putty knife under a window latch?), then remove a back door locking door knob (all you need is the part with the cylinder), take it to a locksmith and tell him you lost your key. It will cost only a few bucks to have the lock disassembled and a new key made. Then return to house and put old door knob back. Voilà! Scammer now has own key to vacant house, and little or nothing to show there has been a break in.

In fact an easier version involves the scammer asking the real owner to show scammer the house, then when real owner isn't paying attention unlatch a window. Come back later and do what I described above.

I would advise everybody to never rent via Craig's list for this and other reasons.
They can break into a unit and change the locks, deadbolts and doorknob locks are as cheap as $10 each. Or it could be the old tenant moving out who wants to scam the person for cash, but some LLs won't take a check or money order because they think it will end up being a fake. Scams are not the norm. I don't know anyone who has been affected by a fake apartment scam.

Old 02-03-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
They can break into a unit and change the locks, deadbolts and doorknob locks are as cheap as $10 each. Or it could be the old tenant moving out who wants to scam the person for cash, but some LLs won't take a check or money order because they think it will end up being a fake. Scams are not the norm. I don't know anyone who has been affected by a fake apartment scam.
It would make no sense for the scammer to change the locks. The scam is to get the money and run. Note that there are reports of scammers "renting" an apartment multiple times before taking the money and doing a runner.

Yes the previous tenant could be a scammer.

My door locks are Kwikset quick change and I could rekey a house in 20 minutes... I've re-keyed every rental house I ever bought.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:04 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
......... I don't know anyone who has been affected by a fake apartment scam.
I know several landlords who have found their properties listed for rent with someone else's contact information. Mostly, those are "send me the money and I will send you the keys" type pf scams. I've only heard from one landlord who actually had the scammer get keys and was showing the inside of the house. For the most part, thieves and con men don't want you to see their face.

In my area the ones that I can see that are obviously scams are things like a 2500 sq foot 4 bedroom house with granite counter tops and a three car garage for $800 a month. In this area an ordinary quality one bedroom apartment would cost you $1100-$1200. The foliage in the photos won't grow here, but maybe most tenants wouldn't know that since , for the most part, they are not gardeners. Basically, if it is too good to be true, you have to be careful.

OP, you can check the ownership of the house through your county assessor's office. If the person renting you the room does not own the house, then you ask to speak to the landlord to get his permission. If the landlord is OK with subletting, he most likely wants to screen any subtenant moving in.

If the landlord forbids subletting, maybe you should not rent a room there. The situation could get sticky if the landlord finds out his tent is subletting rooms against the terms of the lease.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If the landlord forbids subletting, maybe you should not rent a room there. The situation could get sticky if the landlord finds out his tent is subletting rooms against the terms of the lease.
My leases specifically state my rental houses are not allowed to be subletted.

Admittedly I would probably never know, since my rentals are out of state. For most of my tenants the first and last time I ever meet them is at the move-out inspection. My last move-out inspection I didn't even attend in person. My Realtor said the house looks fine so I sent a completed and signed move-out inspection with all areas noted "no issues," and had my Realtor get a signature and hand the tenant a copy and full refund check.

I don't spy on my tenants. In fact all I want is for them to take care of the house and pay the rent on time. Contact me if something breaks and I'll get it fixed.

But note, if a tenant is subletting against the lease and the landlord finds out, not only does the subletter get evicted, but they have no recourse against the real landlord and good luck getting any satisfaction from the tenant who was violating the terms of their lease.

The only way you can be certain is to ask the real landlord. Track down the owner online, contact them and ask if they are the landlord or if not request landlord or property management company contact info.

Old 02-04-2017, 02:57 PM

If a LL asks you for your Social Security number and you don't feel comfortable using it ask if you can do the smartmove thing that someone else mentioned whereyou submit your info online and pay for it and the LL gets the full report.

Old 02-04-2017, 06:10 PM

439 posts, read 516,530 times
oh, I just rented, from craigslist, from an absolute nightmare (see other threads...or don't, it's up to you) : ) Which, down to the last day, was full of drama.

The landlady ended up being a felon.

don't assume - as I did - that *just because a person owns a property* they are somehow moral and ethical people...or mentally stable for that matter. YES, I suppose the majority are okay..

A) Go with your gut

B) consider doing an informal background check a private landlord. IN WA state, you can plug in first and last name into the state court system and see what comes up. Washington Courts - Search Case Records You won't be able to tell if it is a lawsuit, or actual criminal charges (or an eviction) unless you contact the actual court and submit a "Records request form" which is free. Again, this is only for WA state, but I imagine other states *may* have a similar online process.

For other "background checks" I believe you need a DL number, which - I imagine - would be a little awkward to ask for.

AT LEAST plug their names in to the local court system and see what comes up- cause I learned my lesson the hard way.

Old 02-04-2017, 06:14 PM

439 posts, read 516,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I know several landlords who have found their properties listed for rent with someone else's contact information. Mostly, those are "send me the money and I will send you the keys" type pf scams. I've only heard from one landlord who actually had the scammer get keys and was showing the inside of the house. For the most part, thieves and con men don't want you to see their face.

In my area the ones that I can see that are obviously scams are things like a 2500 sq foot 4 bedroom house with granite counter tops and a three car garage for $800 a month. In this area an ordinary quality one bedroom apartment would cost you $1100-$1200. The foliage in the photos won't grow here, but maybe most tenants wouldn't know that since , for the most part, they are not gardeners. Basically, if it is too good to be true, you have to be careful.

OP, you can check the ownership of the house through your county assessor's office. If the person renting you the room does not own the house, then you ask to speak to the landlord to get his permission. If the landlord is OK with subletting, he most likely wants to screen any subtenant moving in.

Yes, I had a situation once where I was subletting for the summer - I found out later that I technically wasn't supposed to be there. The young lady I was subletting from - a law student, no less - really needed the money, so she decided to do it against the rules. The property managers could've evicted me at any time, they didn't..but technically I had no rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting